Changing over flows on marineland 220

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way I found of cutting the overflow out was to get a big sharp razorblade and get under the silicone

I agree they are ugly

And if ur holes are as close to the back wall as mine were I don’t think so about the rock unless ur doing a rock wall

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way I found of cutting the overflow out was to get a big sharp razorblade and get under the silicone

I agree they are ugly

And if ur holes are as close to the back wall as mine were I don’t think so about the rock unless ur doing a rock wall
Not going with a rock wall I havnt really looked at how close the holes were to be honest but I'm not worried about that at all. Thought about trying some fishing string to get though the silicon on the overflows what's a good cleaner to use to get the remaining silicon off the glass?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I would think about how much you could sell the tank for as-is. It’s pretty nice. Most people pay extra for those overflows.

You can get a brand new plain 240 for about 1000 bucks that you can drill yourself and have no extra holes in.

Maybe you can’t sell your 220 for any reasonable price in your market though in which case DIY it! ;)

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I would think about how much you could sell the tank for as-is. It’s pretty nice. Most people pay extra for those overflows.

You can get a brand new plain 240 for about 1000 bucks that you can drill yourself and have no extra holes in.

Maybe you can’t sell your 220 for any reasonable price in your market though in which case DIY it! ;)
my experiences with used tanks in my area are people think you should give them away. So selling isn't an option really and I think I traded a Taurus 9mm for the tank to be honest.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fishing line might work I used a razor for everything once u get it going it isn’t so bad I used vinagar and water I believe I got both sides clear of silicone and slowly rocked the ugly box back and forth until the silicone released from the bottom glass took approximately an hour

Mcarrol with a new tank u have to watch out as I beleive they are all tempered now and if not u have to pay more for a non tempered and from my experience nobody around me wants to be controlled by a reef ready tank for flow I’m thinking possibly 600 gallons an hour because u can’t run it with a full syphon with the way they want u to use it and for looks. He’s literally going to gain two feet more by removing them plus the corners have dead spots because there is no proper place to put a powerhead get them gone ASAP

To me if u already have the tank why go thru the hassle of trying to sell it then buying a new one

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully my big oscars will be gone Monday and I can drain this thing and get a game plan on it. There coming out for sure and like Justin said why buy a new tank when I have a perfectly good tank already. And I definitely don't have the money to drop a grand on a new tank that's for sure. Rather spend that money on more apex goodies :) plus I gotta order some new heatsinks to add some watts to my diy led set up.

Back