Changing over flows on marineland 220

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I have my last 2 big oscars sold Friday so I can finally start thinking bout setting this thing up with saltwater. Iv read on a few forums were people have cut the old ones out blocked off the bulk heads on the bottom of the tank and redrilled the back and installed different overflows. Overflows are something I'm not real familiar with as I just drill the tank install bulkheads and plumb them no protection ect over the bulkheads can't count how many fish are in my sump now due to my horrible design. What's a good alternative? Plan is setting it up as a wall divider. With that in mind Iv been thinking of drilling one of the sides on the tank and have the plumbing hidden. Anybody have any pics of what they have done? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Synergy Reef overflows, one 16" should be fine for your tank, and if you are familiar with drilling glass (as it seems you are) then it is an easy install. Low profile, no fish in your sump (lol!), and quiet. If you already have bulkheads drilled on the back of your tank, you could even build one to match your preexisting holes, but might be easier to cap those, and drill new holes for the new overflow...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing a cover of any kind on your current standpipes (assuming this is your current config) would also do the trick in case you decide on doing less work vs more.

Can you post a pic of the current setup?

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0066.JPG Don't laugh at the crappy stand missing the doors lol. I set this tank up to free up my 110 gallon so it was quickly thrown togeather for the oscars.

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0072.JPG The mainland is drilled on the bottom of each over flow. One hole for return and one for drain. Drilling isn't a problem I had a angle fish hatchery with many many tanks and drilled them all. Only problem I have is getting the darn things level so they drain equally.

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the overflow boxs as they have the fins in them any kind of screen over my set up will clog quickly. The set up I have now on my 110 If one overflow gets clogged water level will rise in the dt a little untill the other overflow gets a full syphon going due to my bulkheads in the back of the tank not being perfectly level

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn’t too much wrong with the drains you have they are protected.

If you getting fish in them, then you might want to stretch some gutter screen over the top.

You do not have a single drain set up you have a dual drain/dual return set up. :):):)

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 110 has no protection. Reason for wanting different over flows is for more room for fish to swim.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on digging the current drain boxes out of the tank? That seems like a lot of work – and you're still left with the four holes in the floor of the tank. I would tweak what you have vs going a whole other direction with the drain/retrun flow. If it was a bare tank it would be different.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it check out my build thread

Would do it again to get that ugly reef ready plastic thing gone and 8 more inches in my tank

Best bet is a synergy reef type overflow if u plan on running a lot of flow ie 600-700 gph don’t pick synergy as the front weir makes a ton of noise

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut my old overflows out as well and added a ghost overflow style box instead. I reused the 4 holes in the bottom for a closed loop system for my UV sterilizer.

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on digging the current drain boxes out of the tank? That seems like a lot of work – and you're still left with the four holes in the floor of the tank. I would tweak what you have vs going a whole other direction with the drain/retrun flow. If it was a bare tank it would be different.
To easy to plug the holes in the bottom and cover with rock to hide it

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it check out my build thread

Would do it again to get that ugly reef ready plastic thing gone and 8 more inches in my tank

Best bet is a synergy reef type overflow if u plan on running a lot of flow ie 600-700 gph don’t pick synergy as the front weir makes a ton of noise
Exactally my thoughts. It's either cut the over flows out and install something else or get a new tank. Right now the first option seems more practical for me.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my tank will be bare bottom
Then I might want to use glass as my bulkheads would be an eye sore of sand didn’t cover them

For a while I put montis on them but that didn’t last

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'm a heavy diyer. Electrical and plumbing is something I do almost everyday either at work or my rentals. What I find most challenging about the hobby is the parameters and learning the names of the corals. After seeing so many tanks that don't have the god awful overflows like my tank has it's gonna be well worth the trouble of cutting the old overflows out and adding something different. Plus how bad would this tank look if I did end up putting it in my wall. Love to be able to view it from both sides with it having to stair at the unsightly overflows

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back