Changing the hardscape in a well-established tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the sand how was that cleaned

it’s looking sharp by the way, overnite that tiny floater set will settle out this is about to wind up a very, very strong work example

given the overall attack and removal of clouding waste, I do not expect that minor cloud to do anything. Seems very thorough, and now overnite we watch the bacteria still not killed, after all that cleaning + peroxide, handle the fish bioloading. As soon as you pass overnite with fish/coral loading alive that’s absolute proof the cycle was skipped. Inability to control nh3 is lethal, overnite, and even that has symptoms you can use to head off loss.

they are:

-it’s not a test kit, dont run one lol it’s certain to cause total alarm like in attack of the kllr tomatoes movie. We dont need a misreading ammonia test to identify anything, the harbingers are visually seen in your tank before the loss, always, without variation ammonia poisoning has already established cues in reefs. Total death of the tank is number one lol

compound clouding. Your tank w probably settle n clear by ten pm.

if by tonite at ten pm it was worse, not better, thats compound clouding we’d do a water change or add prime if that clouding is combined with fish holding at the top zone, to get air

your fish are top nh3 indicators they beat any kit, we use fish distribution pictures to catch even misreading seneyes, $300 nh3 meters when they read false we catch em with a full tank picture.

but if by ten pm your water is equal or better, and fish distribute around the tank, that specifically means nh3 is under total control and no reason to undo by morning. Bacteria are this predictable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim Rudisill

Tim Rudisill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scooped all the sand into a bucket and just stirred the sand while blasting it with the water hose. Poured water off. Repeated about 30 times until it was clear. Then I did it about 20 more times.

You can see some shells in the sand. I opted to leave those in as I feel it makes the sand look more natural. Plus who knows when the crabs or snails will want a new shell. I have one crab that took up residence in an old nassarius snail's shell. He looks hilarious.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok perfect. Based on that it’s enough to be certain you’ll skip cycle I’ll link your thread in this work thread below right with the top reference links

we just got your after pics, and cleaning description, so linking to the rip clean threads before outcomes in the morning is perfect accountability.

it takes a lot of follow through to rinse twenty times it feels weird huh like all the bacteria gone, gone gone lol I feel it too when blasting my fifteen year old system. It’s fifteen because of rip cleaning, cheat resets :) removes lifespan limit.

Crashed or success your thread is among top two work links below thanks for posting:

rip cleans do not have varied outcomes they turn out the same. I recall a post somewhere in there where a goby died, working with fish relocation is stressful agreed but it’s no pattern, the pattern is happy and sustained clean reef till u pack it in again/ cyclic. :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s all dead I’ll be surprised how r we here

sump detritus is oxidized well, detritus from deep in a sandbed is the dangerous kind, wouldn’t expect a little sump detritus clouding to matter much.

OP
OP
Tim Rudisill

Tim Rudisill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is great. Cleaner shrimp alive and healthy, all fish alive. My engineer goby has stopped doing laps around the tank and taken up his old job of "digging tunnels". My hammer coral looks as great as ever, though I'm still wondering what the stuff is on its base. The dragonet's top fin is definitely torn but he's going to survive. I guess the cleaning process likely killed any copepods, so I added a couple of bottles from my LFS so my dragonet will have some food.

I'll snap a couple of photos tomorrow and upload them.

OP
OP
Tim Rudisill

Tim Rudisill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures from yesterday:

5A0BA099-976A-4F40-93AB-A939F530C71C.jpeg 69691D24-DE99-466C-BDF6-2BC173D0AA0B.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to have this as an updated work focus for our rinse thread well done

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(get ready ADD moment) i quickly skimmed over this discussion but, well i had something similar but in a good way? ig? but i just had dry rock that i just slapped into a small 15 gal and put a bad light on it and i put a bit of sand in ran it for a year and wanted to upgrade and was sad because for some reason that 15 gal was a cursed tank no matter what i put in there it would eventually die and i got so many cyano bacteria outbreaks and ;Facepalm i just ended up bombing the tank scrubbing the living daylight out of the rocks and poping it into a 29 gal and waited about 3 months and just today i rearranged my rock work and that was a CHORE i tell ya and idk how it look its just cool i think but it looks big but so far no problems a lot of stuff got kicked up but was quickly filtered out and its now clear but i dont have a bunch of corals just a GSP frag and colony here a pic:
IMG_1461[1].JPG

sorry if this hurt more than it helped or did nothing but yeah

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back