changing to a new skimmer. is it just remove and replace or do i have to go through a process?

Archie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi

my skimmer cup has cracks now (for the 2nd time) and i was thinking of replacing it to another skimmer. Is it just remove and replace or do i have to run both of the a couple of weeks / months together so that the new skimmer gets the desired bacteria needed? This might be a silly question but please bear with me as I am fairly new to the hobby (started 2011)

thanks for the help

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just pull out the old one and replace it with the new. The new skimmer will need a break in period before it'll give you good results though. You might be able to lessen the break in period by cleaning the skimmer with vinegar.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You can just pull out the old one and replace it with the new. The new skimmer will need a break in period before it'll give you good results though. You might be able to lessen the break in period by cleaning the skimmer with vinegar.

It's what I'd do.
If you have a small container the new skimmer can sit in, add 2-3 gallons of vinegar and let it run 6-8 hours, before using on your tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back