Chaos' Reef Build

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody! I have been looking at everyone's amazing build threads, and thought 'hey, why don't I just post my own build? Get peoples opinions, suggestions, and tips!' So here we are. I will be posting the progression of my upgrade to my small 25 gallon cube. Without further a do, here are the details I have hammered out so far! Also, feel free to ask ANY questions or give any advice!

Tank: Cobalt Aquatics C-Vue 45; Cube; All-In-One

No Sump; all filtration will be in back

Rock: Dry Marco Rock, 50 Pounds

Filtration:

- Tunze Comline 9004 Skimmer

- Refugium, Macro algae, extra rock, etc.

- Carbon and GFO reactor if needed

- 2 filter socks that also came with tank

Other Equipment:

- Cobalt 150 watt heater

- 2 return pumps that came with tank

Livestock Plan, is subject to change:

- Golden Dwarf Moray

- Blue Spotted Jawfish

- Dwarf Angel, whichever is Most reef safe, if anyone knows please tell!

- Pair of Clowns

- Dragonet

- Fairy Wrasse

Inverts:

- Trochus Snails

- Nasarius Snails

- Hermits

- Cleaner Shrimp

- Pencil Urchin

Coral:

ANY AND ALL I CAN FIT

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of where I am currently. Also, I forgot to mention lighting. Light will be an AI prime, but I will use my kessil from my old tank until I get the new one.

IMG-1660.JPG
IMG-1661.JPG

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking and sounding very sweet. I am setting up a similar sized build myself. Obviously you know what you are doing, I would add these thoughts.

Since the rock is dry, do not feel you have to use it all. That left side is high, almost to the water line (if you intend coral up there). Otherwise the scape looks great and I love the rock you got.

Only other thing I will offer FWIW is for my 45 I will run two 150 W heaters with an inexpensive Ink Bird controller. I just had too many failures over the years.

Looking forward to the progression!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi great start so far and tagging along!

The rock work design looks great

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody! I have been looking at everyone's amazing build threads, and thought 'hey, why don't I just post my own build? Get peoples opinions, suggestions, and tips!' So here we are. I will be posting the progression of my upgrade to my small 25 gallon cube. Without further a do, here are the details I have hammered out so far! Also, feel free to ask ANY questions or give any advice!

Tank: Cobalt Aquatics C-Vue 45; Cube; All-In-One

No Sump; all filtration will be in back

Rock: Dry Marco Rock, 50 Pounds

Filtration:

- Tunze Comline 9004 Skimmer

- Refugium, Macro algae, extra rock, etc.

- Carbon and GFO reactor if needed

- 2 filter socks that also came with tank

Other Equipment:

- Cobalt 150 watt heater

- 2 return pumps that came with tank

Livestock Plan, is subject to change:

- Golden Dwarf Moray

- Blue Spotted Jawfish

- Dwarf Angel, whichever is Most reef safe, if anyone knows please tell!

- Pair of Clowns

- Dragonet

- Fairy Wrasse

Inverts:

- Trochus Snails

- Nasarius Snails

- Hermits

- Cleaner Shrimp

- Pencil Urchin

Coral:

ANY AND ALL I CAN FIT
Looks great! Slowly trying to sort my livestock plan. I was told to stay away from eel, due to coral , can you tell me more on the golden ? I’d LOVE to have one of those.

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Slowly trying to sort my livestock plan. I was told to stay away from eel, due to coral , can you tell me more on the golden ? I’d LOVE to have one of those.

This eel is a dwarf species of moray native to only a few sections of ocean that we know of so far, and the most known being from hawaii, and those are usually the most colorful. Unfortunately, due to hawaii being closed off now, these guys have become MUCH more expensive and why most people stay away from them and go with a small snowflake. They are VERY shy creatures and can sometimes be difficult to get to eat, but are the smallest topping out at a mere 11-12 inches, and most reef safe eel you can get. If you want to know more details, check out Robin Haselden's threads.
golden_dwarf_moray.jpg

This a pic of a VERY nice one, they are usually much more pale with hints of golden brown or yellow.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far, following along :)

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking and sounding very sweet. I am setting up a similar sized build myself. Obviously you know what you are doing, I would add these thoughts.

Since the rock is dry, do not feel you have to use it all. That left side is high, almost to the water line (if you intend coral up there). Otherwise the scape looks great and I love the rock you got.

Only other thing I will offer FWIW is for my 45 I will run two 150 W heaters with an inexpensive Ink Bird controller. I just had too many failures over the years.

Looking forward to the progression!

Oh yeah, I know the left is a bit high, I will probably knock it down 2-3 inchs. Mind telling me why you would run 2 heaters instead of just one? Is it very cold where you live? Reason I am only doing one is cause average temp inside my house is like 76-78

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting water, sand and heater today to start the cycle! Does anyone know a good product to use for sticking rock work together? I can seem to find anything without a lot of bad reviews...

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This eel is a dwarf species of moray native to only a few sections of ocean that we know of so far, and the most known being from hawaii, and those are usually the most colorful. Unfortunately, due to hawaii being closed off now, these guys have become MUCH more expensive and why most people stay away from them and go with a small snowflake. They are VERY shy creatures and can sometimes be difficult to get to eat, but are the smallest topping out at a mere 11-12 inches, and most reef safe eel you can get. If you want to know more details, check out Robin Haselden's threads.
golden_dwarf_moray.jpg

This a pic of a VERY nice one, they are usually much more pale with hints of golden brown or yellow.
Thank you so much for the response

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting water, sand and heater today to start the cycle! Does anyone know a good product to use for sticking rock work together? I can seem to find anything without a lot of bad reviews...
I personally left mine un connected for cycle. As I keep finding myself adjusting it. Once I’m “ ready” I was going to use seachem flourish or straight super glue gel. Considering drilling and a tube for tall structure.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I know the left is a bit high, I will probably knock it down 2-3 inchs. Mind telling me why you would run 2 heaters instead of just one? Is it very cold where you live? Reason I am only doing one is cause average temp inside my house is like 76-78
I was told two is better than one. Redundancy in case one dies. They won’t make it twice as warm. Should be no change once dialed in

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was told two is better than one. Redundancy in case one dies. They won’t make it twice as warm. Should be no change once dialed in

Exactly. Redundancy. Not a must, just offering it as food for thought. I also live in NY and we let the house temperature drop at night or if we are traveling. With two I never have to worry about one failing or overworking.

To me the controller is the more important aspect. I have had glass heaters shatter, but I am using Cobalts as you are which are guaranteed to not shatter. The other common failure is the heater getting stuck in the ON position (thermostat failure). So my plan is to set both heaters to 80* and set the controller to 79*. This should avoid a thermostat failure in the heaters as it will never be used unless the controller fails. Again, redundancy.

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another thing I am going to try out in this system. I saw a guy on youtube use a flexible tube as an eel cave, and stretched it from one end of the tank to the other, and covered it with sand, rock and used rubble over the entrances to make it look more cave-like. I am going to try the same thing, using aerosol tubing, it is thin, fairly clear, and very flexible. I'll post picks once I get it put in the tank.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to see that! I would absolutely love an eel. But don’t plan on one for this 28 nano. Maybe when I do the 45-70 in the fall should this go ok.

But yea. Post pics ! What kind of eel? I really wish I could plan one for my livestock. It was my favorite years ago in a friends 150

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to see that! I would absolutely love an eel. But don’t plan on one for this 28 nano. Maybe when I do the 45-70 in the fall should this go ok.

But yea. Post pics ! What kind of eel? I really wish I could plan one for my livestock. It was my favorite years ago in a friends 150
It will be a golden dwarf moray, most reef safe I could find, we will see how it goes!

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water in the tank! Added Turbo Start and some of my existing tank water. All thats left is to wait! Also, addded tubing to scape, here are pics!

IMG-1662.JPG

IMG-1663.JPG

IMG-1664.JPG

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel tube is pretty cool. I am curious how it will work, in other words, will it get jammed up with sand, snails and the like.

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I positioned it in between the rock work, posed upward to help sand keep out, but as for inverts i hope none go in there, but we will see.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those that go in shall not come back. I henceforth name the eel Gandalf. “You shall not pass”

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back