Cheap corals for Peacock mantis shrimp tank?

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a peacock mantis shrimp about a month ago and he has been doing really well. Currently though my tank looks kinda bland. So i have 1 decently big piece of live rock that I wanted to put some corals on. (I heard that Peacock mantis shrimps do fine w/ corals). Could I pull off a light and a few decently cool corals for $60? ( I don't have a skimmer)

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a peacock mantis shrimp about a month ago and he has been doing really well. Currently though my tank looks kinda bland. So i have 1 decently big piece of live rock that I wanted to put some corals on. (I heard that Peacock mantis shrimps do fine w/ corals). Could I pull off a light and a few decently cool corals for $60? ( I don't have a skimmer)
The question comes down to your experience and preference. If all you are looking for is some zuzz...Zoas, Green star Polyp (GSP) and Xenia are downright easy. But being so easier, they become weeds!! Outside of that, maybe some cheap blastos of cyphastrea would work for you. After these..the effort goes up a bit.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add corals. Just keep in mind peacocks are prone to shell rot and having powerful lighting increases the odds of that becoming a problem. They need very clean water to keep up on water changes. Especially since you don’t have a skimmer.

They may abuse corals and punch at them. Obviously squishy softies can take the abuse better. They may turn SPS and some LPS into rubble.

RedfishReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I pull off a light and a few decently cool corals for $60?
If you are asking if you can get a light and corals for $60 altogether then your answer would be no. You can get a few cool corals for $60 total depending on your LFS prices. But a decent light that will grow coral will be at least $60 for a cheap knock-off and then $140 for something low-end but good like the reefbreeder nano LED.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add coral to a mantis tank honestly they are pretty destructive

I used to have one

Also don't keep the big basher types in a glass tank they will break it

Most people don't realize that they hit rock and break it apart to make caves

1 hit to glass might be ok

1000 hits to the same spot will break it gotta be acrylic

I personally had a 5 inch basher all black break a 20l backwall out took about a month of him trying to carve the glass as part of his cave

Last edited:

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, the tank breaking tendencies of large smashers can be managed by providing them with a PVC burrow, which effectively eliminates the risk. It also has the added advantage of providing a safe haven, where they can close themselves in, in complete darkness, which is anecdotally believed to help reduce the risks of developing shell rot.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, the tank breaking tendencies of large smashers can be managed by providing them with a PVC burrow, which effectively eliminates the risk. It also has the added advantage of providing a safe haven, where they can close themselves in, in complete darkness, which is anecdotally believed to help reduce the risks of developing shell rot.
Eliminating the risk is kinda strong

I'd say decresses the risk but there's no garintee it won't decide it want to dig over here instead of the tube

But the tube is a good idea

And 100 percent agree they have to have a dark place to live

I chose not to light the tank with regular lighting I use a light bar that produced just enoff light to see but not enoff to grow even algie

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back