Cheap Submersible LED for Refugium??

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm turning a AquaClear 70 into a refugium for my 27g cube. It's going to have chaeto. What are some cheap submerisble led lights that I could use? I've tried amazon but a lot of them are pretty expensive.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's quite a lot on eBay that are submersible in all different colours. I don't know if they're powerful enough to keep macros alive though. None of the sellers will tell me the wattage. I imagine they're pretty weak, but it may be worth looking into.

Coelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using that 10w halogen in the back of my Biocube. It's plenty bright. It's only been in there about a week but the chaeto doesn't seem to be suffering. :)

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's quite a lot on eBay that are submersible in all different colours. I don't know if they're powerful enough to keep macros alive though. None of the sellers will tell me the wattage. I imagine they're pretty weak, but it may be worth looking into.

Yeah that's the problem with the ebay ones.

I'm using that 10w halogen in the back of my Biocube. It's plenty bright. It's only been in there about a week but the chaeto doesn't seem to be suffering. :)

I might have to give it a try then. Did you buy it from inTank?

Coelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to give it a try then. Did you buy it from inTank?

Yup, picked it up at the same time as the fuge basket. I don't know how long chaeto takes to show that it's not getting enough light but so far mine has stayed nice and green.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, picked it up at the same time as the fuge basket. I don't know how long chaeto takes to show that it's not getting enough light but so far mine has stayed nice and green.

How do you like that fuge basket? It looks really nice, but I don't think nice enough for $50, at least not for me lol. I did the DIY mod.

Coelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like that fuge basket? It looks really nice, but I don't think nice enough for $50, at least not for me lol. I did the DIY mod.

Well, I just bought the bundle so I got it at a discount along with the fish saver. :) It's not bad! The only thing is it's open on two sides, and this seemed to me like the chaeto could get all over the place, so I modded it with plastic canvas and zip ties to make it more like an actual basket. They also say if you use the basket to leave the sponge between chambers 2 and 3 in place; I did, and when I pulled it 10 days later it was so clogged and dirty that I wound up taking it out and folding more plastic canvas to sit down in that space and block any rogue chaeto, rather than having to deal with taking it out all the time. I have so much equipment jammed into chamber 3 it's a PITA to get down there. Overall though I like it, and since the chaeto came seeded with pods I started seeing them in the DT within a few days. I suspect things are going well in there but unless the pods tell me, I can only judge by the health of the chaeto. :D

Coelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, no edit function. I was going to add that you could probably save the cash and build a whole basket out of the plastic canvas and zip ties. Plenty of flow, the chaeto won't escape, but the pods could get out.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, no edit function. I was going to add that you could probably save the cash and build a whole basket out of the plastic canvas and zip ties. Plenty of flow, the chaeto won't escape, but the pods could get out.

That's exactly what I did lol. It's nothing fancy like the InTank one, but it does the job.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one actually looks promising! Have you had personal experience with it?

Yes, I love it!

I bought like 100 bulbs on amazon really cheap and they last 3-6 months depending on how long you have them on during the day.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the 10w intank light in my biocube 14 with the media basket and chaeto for almost 2 years. Great growth, no problems.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I love it!

I bought like 100 bulbs on amazon really cheap and they last 3-6 months depending on how long you have them on during the day.

Been using the 10w intank light in my biocube 14 with the media basket and chaeto for almost 2 years. Great growth, no problems.

Hmmm you guys have sold me then. I will be ordering it!

Coelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I love it!

Would you happen to have that link...? :) The InTank one came with an extra bulb but I'd like to have more on hand. I'm running it 12 on/12 off opposite my tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back