Cheapest Microscope for Identifying Dinos?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the long stringy stuff? My flow is definitely decent in my tank, should I just nuke it with some chemiclean or how should I go about it?
Can't make out the long string stuff. But it is possible to have both cyano and dino. From my research and experience with dino they both seem to be the result of nutrients problem. One due to bottom out and the other imbalance. I would try to blow them out and tackle the nutrient issue, did you mention your are bottom out for both nitrates and phosphate? Feed more and/or dose. In my case I dose since I only have 3 fish and also a nano tank IM20.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Amscope 150C got it on sale great microscope. I thought had Dinos but actually where Chrysophytes. Yes, a microscope can help. It's kind of cool as well to see whats actually in your water.

My battle with Chrysophytes was take as much out as possible; siphon, etc. no lights 2 days; got a UV light; got more cleanup critters. So far so good.

I will say you have what I have. However, just a guess with no microscope. One way to tell is use Vibrant if it clears up most likely you have Chrysophytes

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't make out the long string stuff. But it is possible to have both cyano and dino. From my research and experience with dino they both seem to be the result of nutrients problem. One due to bottom out and the other imbalance. I would try to blow them out and tackle the nutrient issue, did you mention your are bottom out for both nitrates and phosphate? Feed more and/or dose. In my case I dose since I only have 3 fish and also a nano tank IM20.
I think I have both, I have tried bumping up my nutrients but that did not help - I am also running a UV sterilizer too. I'll try bumping them up again and see what happens. But for the cyano should I try to nuke it with a chemical?

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Amscope 150C got it on sale great microscope. I thought had Dinos but actually where Chrysophytes. Yes, a microscope can help. It's kind of cool as well to see whats actually in your water.

My battle with Chrysophytes was take as much out as possible; siphon, etc. no lights 2 days; got a UV light; got more cleanup critters. So far so good.

I will say you have what I have. However, just a guess with no microscope. One way to tell is use Vibrant if it clears up most likely you have Chrysophytes
I am running a UV but vibrant has not helped my situation

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%

Back