Cheapest Reef Safe Bulk sand

CSDavid

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2017
Messages
232
Reaction score
112
Location
Coral City
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am wondering what is the cheapest bulk sand that is reef safe? This will not be used as a sand bed but instead will be used to create some cement sand molds. I’m looking for something very fine like CaribSea Super Naturals Aquarium Sand but cheaper. CaribSea Super Naturals Aquarium Sand Is basically quartz sand so I’d like something like that in bulk. Again this won’t be in the sand bed so I’m not worrying about the sand being sharp, just don’t want anything leaching into my water. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA
 
Pool filter sand is basically inert quartz I think. Nothing to leach and available at my local hardware store in 40 or 50 lbs bags.
 
That would be perfect pool filter sand thanks
 
Quartz is inert so it won’t leach at all, but Quartz is made from Silica Dioxide so I’d rinse the sand very thoroughly and let it soak a while before adding it in.
 
Silica is fine if you don't need it to buffer, house bacteria or keep animals in (like fine filter feeders). You might see some old dogma claiming that it will release silicates into the tank water, but this does not happen.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new