Check out these Florida Hard Corals!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently attended a talk on Stony coral tissue loss disease that we are currently experiencing here in the virgin islands. Apparently it started in Florida and one of the theories is that it got here in ship ballast water. From what we've seen it's pretty aggressive. Some areas have lost as much as 70% of the corals it affects. Hopefully it can be figured out and stopped before it destroys the reefs beyond repair.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently attended a talk on Stony coral tissue loss disease that we are currently experiencing here in the virgin islands. Apparently it started in Florida and one of the theories is that it got here in ship ballast water. From what we've seen it's pretty aggressive. Some areas have lost as much as 70% of the corals it affects. Hopefully it can be figured out and stopped before it destroys the reefs beyond repair.
Do you happen to know who gave the presentation? That is what our team is working on here in Florida. It’s definitely a big issue but they do their best!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you happen to know who gave the presentation? That is what our team is working on here in Florida. It’s definitely a big issue but they do their best!
The local University. They are trying to figure out how fast it is spreading and were asking for help from the diving community with finding out where its not present to see how fast it's moving. Nothing that they've tried seems to be working as yet but hopefully something breaks soon..

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local University. They are trying to figure out how fast it is spreading and were asking for help from the diving community with finding out where its not present to see how fast it's moving. Nothing that they've tried seems to be working as yet but hopefully something breaks soon..
That’s cool. The lead PI of the coral lab is good friends with a coral researcher down there. It’s really tricky when it comes to disease, especially when the pathogen is unknown. I am also very hopeful that someone makes a break soon. I’m confident that they will with so many great minds.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few shots I took with my phone to show some progression.

CBA45E16-F946-46C5-9CAC-03033FF0AF53.jpeg

Bushy as always!

E40B136C-39B9-4D05-A040-92E51170B9A9.jpeg

Look at all those new branches!

BA98FD66-5E45-4DDD-AD73-005048AC5B90.jpeg

Finally touching the rock beside it!

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to thank you for sharing these and keeping us updated. At the same time, this thread kills me...lol. I'd love to have a Floribbean tank with some all of these in it.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few shots I took with my phone to show some progression.

CBA45E16-F946-46C5-9CAC-03033FF0AF53.jpeg

Bushy as always!

E40B136C-39B9-4D05-A040-92E51170B9A9.jpeg

Look at all those new branches!

BA98FD66-5E45-4DDD-AD73-005048AC5B90.jpeg

Finally touching the rock beside it!

Looks pretty upset to me...On deaths door. Better skip past the MH and go full on sun with it!

J/k of course. They look good.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to thank you for sharing these and keeping us updated. At the same time, this thread kills me...lol. I'd love to have a Floribbean tank with some all of these in it.
Of course! Im glad that you enjoy them which is what these tanks are all about! And Ive gotten that comment from several people actually. Im truly lucky to be in a position to keep a reef like this. If you are interested in learning more about the tank or the research we do on Caribbean corals check out my build thread!

Looks pretty upset to me...On deaths door. Better skip past the MH and go full on sun with it!

J/k of course. They look good.
LOL read this before my coffee and got worried. All good now! Thanks for the compliment!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought I'd be drooling over a brown Acropora on a reef forum, because I never thought someone on here would have the ability/credentials to legally keep Atlantic acropora.

It's looking super happy Brandon, lots of new axials = lots of new branches!

Thank you so much for sharing this tanks and corals progress with us!

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got several Florida corals in my aquarium, including a decent-sized Oculina robusta colony the size of a softball. Several smaller colonies are also present, and some of them look more like O. diffusa than O. robusta.

Here's a poor shot of my robusta colony:
Oculina.jpg

Here's how the colony first started out after being in a box with wet newspaper for five days:
Oculina small.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought I'd be drooling over a brown Acropora on a reef forum, because I never thought someone on here would have the ability/credentials to legally keep Atlantic acropora.

It's looking super happy Brandon, lots of new axials = lots of new branches!

Thank you so much for sharing this tanks and corals progress with us!
Thanks for the compliments! It means a lot to know that people can enjoy the Caribbean corals the way that we all love the vibrant Pacific ones. Im also happy to share something that is pretty unique to most hobbyists. And let me tell you, the number of new branches that are starting across all of the Acropora is just nuts, I don't even know where they are all gunna go once they start growing out.

I've got several Florida corals in my aquarium, including a decent-sized Oculina robusta colony the size of a softball. Several smaller colonies are also present, and some of them look more like O. diffusa than O. robusta.

Oculina.jpg

Here's how the colony first started out after being in a box with wet newspaper for five days:
Oculina small.JPG
Very cool! Where did it come from?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments! It means a lot to know that people can enjoy the Caribbean corals the way that we all love the vibrant Pacific ones. Im also happy to share something that is pretty unique to most hobbyists. And let me tell you, the number of new branches that are starting across all of the Acropora is just nuts, I don't even know where they are all gunna go once they start growing out.

Very cool! Where did it come from?
They were on the aquacultured live rock I ordered from gulfliverock.com. Had many tunicates, sponges, and turkeywing clams on the rock along with a bunch of gulf corals.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my

Oculina.jpg

Oculina small.JPG

Oh wow! Awesome piece. I would love to see a recent pic of that piece from the top.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my

Oh wow! Awesome piece. I would love to see a recent pic of that piece from the top.
Ask and you shall receive!
Here is a shot of the top of the coral. The polyps are retracted because I turned off the powerheads :)
IMG_20191030_172227.jpg

Here is the front of the colony:
IMG_20191030_172122.jpg

Here is one of the other colonies that I think are O. diffusa?
IMG_20191030_172007.jpg

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask and you shall receive!
Here is a shot of the top of the coral. The polyps are retracted because I turned off the powerheads :)
IMG_20191030_172227.jpg

Here is the front of the colony:
IMG_20191030_172122.jpg

Here is one of the other colonies that I think are O. diffusa?
IMG_20191030_172007.jpg
Cool coral for sure!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back