Check values stammering. Sump overflow. UGENT!!

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More photos of your plumbing tank side. Also what happens if you cover the water outlets with your hand while that hammering is going on. Does it start right back up when you let the water start to drain again.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Which part do I need to replumb?

A have 2 return pumps. Both are Echotech DC pumps.

One of the return pumps passes through a big 80 watt aqua ultra violet and makes a closed loop to the return in the display.

The other return goes directly into the display into a different loc line.

My overflow is a bean animal with 2 straight emergency pipes instead of a durso and emergency.
Have you been able to raise the outlet of the returns inside the tank?
By raising the ends so they are closer to the top of the water will lessen the amount draining back to the sump.
I'm not sure how the orientation of uv sterilizer is, but I would make sure it is in a vertical position so there is no pooling of water there.
Make the plumbing as sparse as possible. Less pipe equals less water to drain back.
Figure out what water level you need in the sump to safely run the return pumps. Make sure they are sitting flat on the bottom.
Once the lowest safe level is established, maintain that with a ato.

Without actually being there and seeing the setup first hand makes it difficult to make suggestions.
Hopefully it will work out soon.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what happens if you cover the water outlets with your hand while that hammering is going on. Does it start right back up when you let the water start to drain again.
I don’t understand this. What do you mean by water outlets?

What does “it start right back up “ refer to?

I’ll get photos soon.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using those gate valve to control your flow rate into the sump that is also another issue of why you have too much water draining.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand this. What do you mean by water outlets?

What does “it start right back up “ refer to?

I’ll get photos soon.
Where the water enters the tank from your return. Turn off your pump cover the water outlets with your hand and see if when you release the hammering resumes or stays stopped and sealed. You seem to have multiple design issues. I am slowly looking at your build thread but have not seen everything yet.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the water enters the tank from your return. Turn off your pump cover the water outlets with your hand and see if when you release the hammering resumes or stays stopped and sealed. You seem to have multiple design issues. I am slowly looking at your build thread but have not seen everything yet.
Don’t worry about looking through the build. I’ll post everything right now.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8291.jpeg
IMG_8292.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1707444174268.png

Red line is where your tank should drain to yellow is where yours will drain to. One minute im going to draw you up a stupid simple fix.
This is my tank right now. Ignore the crooked T5. I moved them to get a pic of the overflow

IMG_8297.jpeg

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1707444478642.png
On the left is what you currently have on the right is what you need, you need to bring the line ABOVE the water level before going back down. Now this will still create a siphon so you have two options. Drill a small hole (aiming down) at a point ABOVE or AT the water level on the pipe OR raise your flex lines so they are right at the surface and suck air the second power cuts off(I would do both) . Sadly just raising the flex tube above the water line is not 100 percent of a replacement for a solid line above water level as those flex lines can slowly leak.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1707444478642.png
On the left is what you currently have on the right is what you need, you need to bring the line ABOVE the water level before going back down. Now this will still create a siphon so you have two options. Drill a small hole (aiming down) at a point ABOVE or AT the water level on the pipe OR raise your flex lines so they are right at the surface and suck air the second power cuts off(I would do both) . Sadly just raising the flex tube above the water line is not 100 percent of a replacement for a solid line above water level as those flex lines can slowly leak.
Perfect! I totally agree that the return lines shouldn't be completely under water while the tank is running. (or when it's not, lol)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back