check valve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just run all the plumbing and be able to test it the first time. I install the true union check valve on my return line and when i test it out that is what i got, any idea how to fix it ???

OP
OP
Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here the overall pict of my plumbing
35599A46-EA9E-4720-8A9E-2A6426D8ECC5.jpeg

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, you shouldn’t even rely on a check valve, and yes it looks like you need a new return pump unless you have a valve on the output that can be opened.

OP
OP
Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, you shouldn’t even rely on a check valve, and yes it looks like you need a new return pump unless you have a valve on the output that can be opened.

that is when i shut off my return pump and water siphon back to the sump which it suppose to be fully close but it keep doing like that

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost like there's a piece of plastic or something preventing it from closing all the way. I'd take it apart and make sure it will close and seal properly then try reinstalling it. But as someone else has mentioned, I do hope that you have other methods to prevent half of your tank draining into your sump. :)

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens with every one of these check valves that I've ever seen. A while ago, the return pump failed on one of our displays at the National Aquarium and I was working on replacing the pump. Suddenly, the sump started overflowing. I shut the valve on the return line and tried to figure out why that happened. Turns out there was a check valve on the return line, and it was the only thing stopping gallons of water from draining into the sump and flooding the backup area. And shocking, the check valve failed.

If your sump overflows without the check valve, I promise that your sump will flood at least once because the check valve does not close you expect it to. I personally would never plumb a system so that a check valve is needed to stop the sump from overflowing.

OP
OP
Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens with every one of these check valves that I've ever seen. A while ago, the return pump failed on one of our displays at the National Aquarium and I was working on replacing the pump. Suddenly, the sump started overflowing. I shut the valve on the return line and tried to figure out why that happened. Turns out there was a check valve on the return line, and it was the only thing stopping gallons of water from draining into the sump and flooding the backup area. And shocking, the check valve failed.

If your sump overflows without the check valve, I promise that your sump will flood at least once because the check valve does not close you expect it to. I personally would never plumb a system so that a check valve is needed to stop the sump from overflowing.

i try to use check valve as a backup also my return line will be over the water line if my pump off but still i try to figure out what happen since i use to do a similar plumbing with check valve that i got from lowe and it work great, and these time i try to use a good one but it fail me.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the return line hit the surface and either drill a siphon break into it or put it at a height in the display that even when pump is off the siphon backwards will never overflow the sump. JMO

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the return line hit the surface and either drill a siphon break into it or put it at a height in the display that even when pump is off the siphon backwards will never overflow the sump. JMO
+1

I have my return placed just below the surface and have checked multiple times where the water will stop backfilling into my sump. I have marked run level and high level

Swing checks are notorious for failure even in environments other than reef

Siphon breaks are a good idea but even those can get clogged

OP
OP
Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thank for the idea of that siphon break, i will doing that tonight.

+1

I have my return placed just below the surface and have checked multiple times where the water will stop backfilling into my sump. I have marked run level and high level

Swing checks are notorious for failure even in environments other than reef

Siphon breaks are a good idea but even those can get clogged

i definitely will do all those 3 method for my return line, thank for an idea

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank for the idea of that siphon break, i will doing that tonight.

i definitely will do all those 3 method for my return line, thank for an idea
Redundancy is key

Took me awhile to get return adjusted. Yoo high and it was creating a vortex and pulling in air. Seems that fine tune process with all equipment involved takes a bit of time and patience

OP
OP
Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redundancy is key

Took me awhile to get return adjusted. Yoo high and it was creating a vortex and pulling in air. Seems that fine tune process with all equipment involved takes a bit of time and patience

I just come back home and try them out again, and when i shut off return pump the water still back flow, if i pull the return nozzle away from water it will drain all the water from return line and if i put that nozzle submerge back in water line it will siphon water back again so i think i do something wrong with the plumbing system

OP
OP
Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you pulled the valve off of the line to see if it closes on its own, dry?

it does close, but i think i did something wrong, i will change my return plumbing line today and i also have another swing check valve on hand too so i will try them out

OP
OP
Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silly question: Do i need any part on my return line to be over the water line ??? Since all my overall return line are below water level.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The opening/outlet is what needs to be at the waterline, or at the level where once it backflows it will not reach the point where it will overflow the sump bc it eventually breaks the surface and cuts the siphon. Depending on how big the sump, it can be an inch or so below the waterline.

OP
OP
Mengchhorn Chhun

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The opening/outlet is what needs to be at the waterline, or at the level where once it backflows it will not reach the point where it will overflow the sump bc it eventually breaks the surface and cuts the siphon. Depending on how big the sump, it can be an inch or so below the waterline.

ok thank you, i already aiming for that my sump should be handle that very well also today i try to shut of my return pump and the check valve seem to close but still i can see water dropping down when i unplug the return plumbing

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back