Chem advice on build!

Should a new tank build with Apex include multiple DOS units? What to dose?

• Ca

• Mg

• KH

Results are only viewable after voting.

PBLRDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some I am in my build stages for a new tank after a decade away. I already know I want the Apex and a Trident. My question is, how far after cycling should I be worried about dosing and what would a recommended dosing program look like. Tank will be mixed reef.
I would prefer to buy all the hardware up front for this system as not to be adding and moving DOS units and solution reservoirs around all the time.
Any advice?

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends really. At first you want need to dos much at all if any. Also depends on which coral you fill the tank with and how big they are. For example, in my grow out bins (about 125 gal total) I use about 1.5 gallons a month of soda ash and a little more for calcium. My grow out is stocked to the brim with fully grown colonies of acros in one, lps in the other, and zoas and softies in the other. But in my little 30 gallon frag tank it uses about 30ml a day of each and that is fully stocked with mostly LPS, Zoas, and some sps. In my experience on new builds I haven’t needed to dose until I get a handful of calcium consumers in their and even then it’s minimal. The best thing you can do is keep up with your testing to know where you stand on a consistent basis. As far as planning for that I’d plan on getting at least a two head dosing pump for kh and ca. As far as mg, I’ve never had a tank consumed mg very fast. Typically maintained with water changes or hand dosing every 2-4 weeks. Where you might benefit from another couple heads is dosing a couple more things like acro power and nitrate dosing

Back