PBLRDom's Reefer 170 Build

PBLRDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp! Here goes nothing...

New to the R2R forums. 2004 account on SWF, but looks like that forum is dead. I really enjoy the activity as I am a sponge for details. I will typically read 100 posts for every one that I make in a forum setting lol. Really impressed with the community here on R2R and have already learned a lot just from reading others build threads and combing the categories.
I have watched the 52 weeks of reefing series a couple times over now in the last couple weeks as I have been making decisions on my build. I have also practically watched the top 100 youtube results from each tank that potentially could fit my wants/needs. The BRS folks seem exceptionally knowledgable and I like their youtube channel and store a lot. Ive been reading threads, watching youtube videos and practically loosing sleep over my rekindled passion for the hobby.

I'll set the stage for what I have going here and what I am looking to accomplish.
As a kid we had saltwater aquariums in our family home. In my early 20's I also maintained a 55gal... First year was rough, but I got the hang of it and had it established for a total of 4 years. I moved around a lot mid to late 20's and the passion was filled with other hobbies and interests more suited for my budgets. Equipment was all sold off and I moved on from it.

Now, fast forward 15 years and I am ready to get after this.
I want the tank in an area that the family can enjoy it (The wife and I, plus 4 year old daughter and 3 year old son). I have an area in mind that would work really well in my opinion with only one potential issue and would love some input on that in this thread. I'll post some pictures and details below. I am somewhat concerned about the kids trying to climb on a tank or stand, so Ill need to address that at some-point before I get going. We spend the majority of our home time together in our kitchen/family dining room/living room area (open concept). So I want to keep the tank in this area as to be enjoyed as often as possible.

I know people say go as big as you can afford long run, but the 170 I am sold on is as big as I will want to go. Again, I know that people will say, "you will get hooked and want more." That will not be the case here as the size will be my forever tank for a large variety of reasons.
As far as inhabitants, the system will be designed around a mixed reef concept as it matures.

Hardware. I would prefer to purchase, setup/organize and initiate the hardware once. That being said I know some of the equipment won't come into play right away, but I don't want to be making major hardware changes down the line. I have a touch of OCD with how I cable manage things and organize them, so Ill be doing this once with everything I need from the go.
This is what I have in the cart at the moment.....
Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 170
Red Sea RSK 300 Protein Skimmer
2X Vortech MP10QD Powerhead
Cobalt Aquatics 150W NEO-Therm Heater
Neptune Systems COR15 Pump
Neptune Systems APEX Controller
Neptune Systems Trident Analyzer
2X Neptune Systems DOS
2X Neptune Systems DOS Reservoir
Neptune Systems ATK V2
Neptune Systems AFS
3X Neptune Systems MPR Probe Rack
AquaFX Barracude RO/DI 100GPD System
AquaFX Hydraulic Auto Shut Off
HM Digital In-Line TDS Monitor
Bubble Magus Gravity Float Valve Kit

Baseline hardware startup $5617 retail.

I'll take some photos of where I am thing of placing the tank and why here in a minute.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PBLRDom

PBLRDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is where I am thinking to place the 170.
The area is next to my kitchen counter between my kitchen and living room, more or less in the dining room.
There are a couple reasons I am thinking to place it here.
1. Its really the only area in the space that the tank would be obstructing the flow of travel by us.
2. It can be seen from all angles.
3. Its close enough to a water source (kitchen sink) that I could house the RO/DO unit under my kitchen counter and run my water straight into my ATO Reservoir using the gravity float valve kit and a shut off on the RO system.

I guess my only concern that I eluded to in my OP was that it is in front of a window partially. The side of the house faces East so it gets the least amount of extreme sun exposure and all in the morning hours when its less hot. We do also have plantation shutters that are black out when they are fully closed and dual pane windows. Thinking that should be sufficient to prevent any issues being close to a window..

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

If I keep the tank 4-5" off the wall it will sit flush with the edge of the counter. So plenty of room to work with there. Reefer 170 is 20" wide.
IMG_1578.jpeg

170 is 24" long so I have plenty of room from the edge of the counter to the end of the first section of shutters.
IMG_1579.jpeg

OP
OP
PBLRDom

PBLRDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the mess from my kids lol. We partied hard this morning. Nap time for them, post and then cleanup time for me.

Tank would be viewable from kitchen, family dining room and living room where we spend a lot of our time.
IMG_1576.jpeg

OP
OP
PBLRDom

PBLRDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to come up with a solution for storage on fresh ro/di water and mixed salt water. Anyone have any reputable brands/websites/solutions for this?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Build sounds great. Don’t worry about going big. You do want size for water volume and dimensions for swimming and coral placement, but with proper planning the tank you choose will be great if you stock it correctly.

I did have 1 question. Any way to slide the couch down and get the tank between the windows? I am just thinking of you loosing access to opening that shutter might be a downside. Also, even with it closed it, it still may be a heat source. Or maybe swap the bookshelves by the TV? Where you are thinking is fine, but usually away from a window is a bit better.

As far as your dosing. Good idea to set up now and congrats on the great find. You probably will not need to start the actual dosing regime though. Your tank will not be consuming enough in the beginning for the need to dose.

keep us update. Sound like a great plan..

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see another build thread. Like Mastiffsrule said:" Don't worry about going big" Go with what you think is the best size for your place at the moment. If that changes You'll just get to experience another part of the hobby. Upsizing.

I was also wondering the same. Any other spot to keep it away from that window? Not algae related, but more a shame of blocking those nice shutters!

Good find on the Apex. Best of luck and keep on posting. Always fun to read!

Obsessed Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of water storage, most people will recommend large brute trash cans. Do you have a laundry room or garage you could setup the RO/DI vs. under the sink? 1) To keep the storage buckets near the water source, and 2) to prevent from having to run a water line from the sink, behind the dishwasher, and to to the tank. I think the built in ATO reservoir typically lasts a few days for people.

OP
OP
PBLRDom

PBLRDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Build sounds great. Don’t worry about going big. You do want size for water volume and dimensions for swimming and coral placement, but with proper planning the tank you choose will be great if you stock it correctly.

I did have 1 question. Any way to slide the couch down and get the tank between the windows? I am just thinking of you loosing access to opening that shutter might be a downside. Also, even with it closed it, it still may be a heat source. Or maybe swap the bookshelves by the TV? Where you are thinking is fine, but usually away from a window is a bit better.

As far as your dosing. Good idea to set up now and congrats on the great find. You probably will not need to start the actual dosing regime though. Your tank will not be consuming enough in the beginning for the need to dose.

keep us update. Sound like a great plan..

Thanks!
The windows actually open in sets or individually. I am going to loose the ability to open that single pane, but can still open the one next to it and the window itself if wanted/needed. If I centered on over two panes I wouldn't be able to open either.

Will update some more in the coming days. I was able to get a few more components at incredibly good prices. Waiting, stalking and being patient is working out for the pocket book!

OP
OP
PBLRDom

PBLRDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of water storage, most people will recommend large brute trash cans. Do you have a laundry room or garage you could setup the RO/DI vs. under the sink? 1) To keep the storage buckets near the water source, and 2) to prevent from having to run a water line from the sink, behind the dishwasher, and to to the tank. I think the built in ATO reservoir typically lasts a few days for people.

I couldn't actually keep a mixing setup in my laundry room and run the dosing lines to the tank through the wall. Hmmmm. Thoughts... Looks like with the distance Im looking at the DOS would be able to handle pushing it.
Ahhhh!!! More crazy thoughts!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back