Chemically Sterilizing pre mixed watee

jeep and goose

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2026
Messages
270
Reaction score
181
Location
lafayette
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any good way to sterilize your water for if it’s going to be stored for a long time with something like bleach or peroxide? Then when you’re ready to add it to the tank you can dechlorinate it or something
 
For a reef tank? I would not sterilize it. I don't see any need.

If this is for phyto culture, that may need sterilization.
 
Drop in uv lights are cheap if you have some contamination concerns. I use one for phyto prep seems to work but completely unnecessary for otherwise clean saltwater going back into a tank at some point. Don’t bubble it just seal it up and forget about it till you need it.
 
Idk one of my tubs got diatoms in it or something. Is it really gonna hurt anything? Like the alkalinity. In future I’m store it as RODI
 
I stored 30 or more gallons of mixed saltwater in a loose top container for 5 years or something like that. My ATO container has a loose fitting lid and it hasn't been cleaned in maybe 15 years and there is nothing growing in it.

As Randy indicated, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
 
Idk one of my tubs got diatoms in it or something. Is it really gonna hurt anything? Like the alkalinity. In future I’m store it as RODI

Growing organisms will use some trace elements. They will not change alkalinity, calcium, or magnesium.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 10.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new