Chemiclean -Vibrant conflict

Discovery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking to see if anyone has experience using Chemiclean while using Vibrant Reef? Have a bad outbreak of turf algae no clean-up crew can contend with. I started dosing with Vibrant 5 weeks ago. Yes, the turf algae is beginning to recede. However, as some reviewers note, I now have a bad cyano outbreak (the kind that partially dissipates overnight and comes back strong under LEDs). I’ve successfully used Chemiclean in another tank but a bit concerned about treating this tank with Chemiclean while also doing Vibrant. It’s a mixed 200g with softies, sps and 6 social fish. Thanks everyone.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking to see if anyone has experience using Chemiclean while using Vibrant Reef? Have a bad outbreak of turf algae no clean-up crew can contend with. I started dosing with Vibrant 5 weeks ago. Yes, the turf algae is beginning to recede. However, as some reviewers note, I now have a bad cyano outbreak (the kind that partially dissipates overnight and comes back strong under LEDs). I’ve successfully used Chemiclean in another tank but a bit concerned about treating this tank with Chemiclean while also doing Vibrant. It’s a mixed 200g with softies, sps and 6 social fish. Thanks everyone.
That sounds like dinos not cyano. Got a pic of it? Likely you'll need a uv sterilizer to remove those dinos unfortunately. It happened to me too with vibrant, dinos showed up after all the hair algae died.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Discovery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Cory - I was afraid of that. Excuse the poor image - the red on the sand gets worse throughout the day and it's over most of the rock. I do regular water changes siphoning the red off the rocks and returns a few days later. I'm still not certain that it's dynos as I don't see the typical stringy air bubble infested mats. I may just plop some on a slide and take a peak under a microscope.

Attachments

• 20210216_152215.jpg
    20210216_152215.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Cory - I was afraid of that. Excuse the poor image - the red on the sand gets worse throughout the day and it's over most of the rock. I do regular water changes siphoning the red off the rocks and returns a few days later. I'm still not certain that it's dynos as I don't see the typical stringy air bubble infested mats. I may just plop some on a slide and take a peak under a microscope.
Actually your lucky thats cyano. Dinos are brown.

Upvote 0

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently ran two treatments of chemiclean two weeks apart with 25% water changes between each one and dose vibrant weekly with no ill effects.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy solution. Stop using vibrant, and the cyano will go away.

I used vibrant about 2 years ago to clean up some bubble algae. Once the bubbles were gone, cyano showed up. Nothing I did would stop it, even back to back chemiclean treatments. Once I stopped vibrant, about 2 months later my cyano issues cleared up on it's own.

just read the HUGE vibrant thread. Cyano usually follows with vibrant dosing.

Upvote 0

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy solution. Stop using vibrant, and the cyano will go away.

I used vibrant about 2 years ago to clean up some bubble algae. Once the bubbles were gone, cyano showed up. Nothing I did would stop it, even back to back chemiclean treatments. Once I stopped vibrant, about 2 months later my cyano issues cleared up on it's own.

just read the HUGE vibrant thread. Cyano usually follows with vibrant dosing.
I wonder why that is. I also had cyano after using dr tims waste away for a gha issue I had.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Discovery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many mixed Vibrant reviews. I'll take a step back on dosing Vibrant for a while after Chemiclean treatment. My tank's high phosphate level - yes I have fat fish - which probably fueled the original turf algae outbreak, continues to diminish using GFO.

Upvote 0

PoeLagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a similar occurrence. I fought GHA with vibrant and CUC. A couple of weeks after the GHA was gone came the Cyano. After a couple of week of that battle I gave in and used Chemi-clean. I'm debating if I should start the preventive dosing (every other week) with Vibrant or just wait to see what's coming next.

Upvote 0

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a similar occurrence. I fought GHA with vibrant and CUC. A couple of weeks after the GHA was gone came the Cyano. After a couple of week of that battle I gave in and used Chemi-clean. I'm debating if I should start the preventive dosing (every other week) with Vibrant or just wait to see what's coming next.
I would say wait to see whats coming next

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Discovery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m doing. Just completed the large post chemi-clean water change and cyano is gone. Will increase maintenance and pass on the Vibrant for a while.

Upvote 0

PoeLagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably do the same. Anyone else amazed at how clean your tanks looks after chemi-clean? Also, any thoughts on dosing beneficial bacteria after the treatment? I've got some Microbacter 7 coming based on some other post suggestions.

Upvote 0

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I afraid on Vibrant. Luckily it's one expensive bottle else I would have buy it. From what I read, Vibrant tends to lead to Dino or big time cyano!

If must or need bacteria, maybe Brightwell Microbacter Clean or 7

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back