Chinese Black Box to Apex

MikeyS22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I've been hovering the forums for a while now trying to find the info I need with no such luck. Does anyone know if any of the current Amazon black boxes use 0-10v dimming? I was hoping to do this the easy way, without having to go through the ACI from Steve's LED's, or a level shifter to go from 5v PWM to 3.3v PWM. Hoping to find one I can open up, and throw in the patch cable to run from my Apex.

If anyone knows of any of these lights that use the basic 0-10v, that would be awesome.

Thanks everyone!!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has a dimming pot then it is likely and possible. You can check out my build thread and Led Lighting thread for how I wired mine up for multiple lights if you have more than one.

OP
OP
M

MikeyS22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has a dimming pot then it is likely and possible. You can check out my build thread and Led Lighting thread for how I wired mine up for multiple lights if you have more than one.

Thank you for your reply!! When is the last time you've ordered and done this with aqua mars? Seems like most of the black boxes are using PWM signals now instead of 0-10v. It has a dimming knob, but it doesn't have the same wiring as that. It shows 3.3v on the dimming knob chip board, and one of the wires attaches to the driver at the PWM input. Which tells me that unfortunate it's not using the analog 0-10v signal. Wonder if I order mars aqua if they are still using the 0-10v signal though. It's just so much easier to be able to just wire up a simple two wire patch cord from the Apex lol.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. I did it to my SB Reeflight Basic 16". Tell you what, I just ordered and received the Reefi Duo Extremes. I will be taking PAR numbers over the next few days of my SB's and will match up with my Reefi's. If all goes well and I swap the SB's all out, I'll have three available for sale already hacked. I soldered and shrink wrapped all the connections and just internally cleaned them all as well. Or, you can order from SB as well. I don't see the 16" Basics on their site but let me know and shoot me a PM. I'm really happy with the results of my SB's as you can see from the growth and coloration of my tank in my build thread.

Last edited:

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, you need to head over to the Meet & Greet Forum and do a formal introduction. Let me be the first to unofficially welcome you to R2R, so, WELCOME to R2R!!!

OP
OP
M

MikeyS22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. I did it to my SB Reeflight Basic 16". Tell you what, I just ordered and received the Reefi Duo Extremes. I will be taking PAR numbers over the next few days of my SB's and will match up with my Reefi's. If all goes well and I swap the SB's all out, I'll have three available for sale already hacked. I soldered and shrink wrapped all the connections and just internally cleaned them all as well. Or, you can order from SB as well. I don't see the 16" Basics on their site but let me know and shoot me a PM. I'm really happy with the results of my SB's as you can see from the growth and coloration of my tank in my build thread.
Okay! Are you in Canada? I'm in Kingston, Ontario. I would definitely be interested if I haven't found a set that works yet! And alright, I will head over there and do a formal introduction at some point today while I slack off at work! Lol.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! Are you in Canada? I'm in Kingston, Ontario. I would definitely be interested if I haven't found a set that works yet! And alright, I will head over there and do a formal introduction at some point today while I slack off at work! Lol.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help
Hey Mikey, definitely not in Canada. Wee little dot out in the western Pacific. Let me know if I can help.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back