Chip in 120g corner

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in this 4x2x2 120g tank. It has a chip in the outside bottom left corner. Does it seem safe to use? Seller said it's been revealed and holds water.

received_1368737280512134.jpeg received_427662846390987.jpeg Screenshot_20240326_215704_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20240327_094134_Facebook.jpg

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This felt unnecessary but okay. I'm just looking for a cheaper upgrade bc I live in Alaska and it's pretty much impossible to get an aquarium that's not from a big box store.

I already run a 75g and this hobby is not nearly as expensive as people make it out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just after an upgrade lol. I live in Alaska and it's hard to get anything up here unless it comes from a box store. We only have petco/petsmart and one LFS so my options are extremely limited.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To really fix the entire panel needs to be replaced. Kind of looks like bush fix and silicone over silicone currently. I would think this is now reptile only.

Being in Alaska I'm sure makes things tough. Are you able to order from petco there? You should be able to source an aqueon tank from somewhere.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pass on it. That black frame is cracked as well. That doesnt just happen. I might be wrong.

Ps.... lots of people buy used tanks all the time. Enough people bust up brand new tanks as well. Save 100 here, spend it on a fish or coral.

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To really fix the entire panel needs to be replaced. Kind of looks like bush fix and silicone over silicone currently. I would think this is now reptile only.

Being in Alaska I'm sure makes things tough. Are you able to order from petco there? You should be able to source an aqueon tank from somewhere.
I've never asked, petco here doesn't get anything bigger than 75g and petsmart gets 125g from time to time.

The local guys up here could probably order me something but it would be a decent mark up because of shipping costs.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never asked, petco here doesn't get anything bigger than 75g and petsmart gets 125g from time to time.

The local guys up here could probably order me something but it would be a decent mark up because of shipping costs.
Aqueon or marineland are what is carried usually. They don't stock them but you can probably find a 120g online. I have a 90g aqueon going on 7 years and no issues at all. Was much cheaper that buying brand name.

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon or marineland are what is carried usually. They don't stock them but you can probably find a 120g online. I have a 90g aqueon going on 7 years and no issues at all. Was much cheaper that buying brand name.
Most definetly. I saw a UN Systems 75g one time that looked really nice but it was 1k. Other than that our petco started selling a 26g AIO Red Sea.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overwhelming consensus here is to pass on the tank. And I am here to agree with that sentiment because:

The deeper into the tank you go, the greater the water pressure. That chip is at the bottom where pressure is greatest.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just after an upgrade lol. I live in Alaska and it's hard to get anything up here unless it comes from a box store. We only have petco/petsmart and one LFS so my options are extremely limited.
Makes sense! I would still pass that crack would make me very nervous.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass on it. That black frame is cracked as well. That doesnt just happen. I might be wrong.

Ps.... lots of people buy used tanks all the time. Enough people bust up brand new tanks as well. Save 100 here, spend it on a fish or coral.
Lol yeah some of us are like oui a brand new tank is way too expensive for no reason (especially with inflation). I got my 125 used for a fraction of the cost and its a great tank! Got to save money and get a cool tank

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often buy used equipment including my 125g tank that has been up for about 5 years, and I like to consider myself somewhat willing to take a risk. I however still would not use that tank. That is a large chunk of glass that is missing. Plus the cost of the tank is usually fairly insignificant compared to the livestock that can be lost or even worse the potential damage to your house if it were to break.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that you need another opinion, but I'd pass. That's a big chip, and you never know when it will lead to a spontaneous crack across the rest of the panel.

In the spirit of bush repairs:
If you get it cheap enough, you might be able to find another damaged tank and make one good tank from all the glass panels. You need something to do during the long winter anyway, right?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy the tank either. Usually I say pass on tanks that have damages like that especially if tanks are used. Best of luck to finding a tank though! There's plenty of deals out there!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back