Chipped Tank Corner

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience with chipped tanks. Previous owner said that it was holding water before he drained it and I’m definitely going to leak test it before it gets set up, but what do you think the odds of a problem in the future are? It doesn’t look that big, but also not the smallest thing ever.
3f46e86d424773e6d7a3cd9f99cbf831.jpg

e7bcc912ba911d501cade44a535d273e.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would not use this tank.
Again it's IMO.
You going to put a LOT of money in this glasbox, if this starting to leak you have nowhere to go.
Than again it might never happen.
Just it's right on the silicone joined should tell you already it could be bad.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesnt look too bad from the pics. Do any of the scallops reach through to the silicone that you can see? I have a similar chip in my 220. It was used at an industry trade show, then my mother in law had it, then came to my house. Noticed the chip while filling it. Filled it with silicone and its been fine for about 18 months

If your paying for this tank, it better be a GREAT price, like under $30, just for the possibility of a leak.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nervous of even perfect looking tanks. The thought of anywhere from 10-200gal of saltwater/sand/rock and livestock crashing down and onto my floor makes me cringe. So even a slight chip would make me uneasy.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesnt look too bad from the pics. Do any of the scallops reach through to the silicone that you can see? I have a similar chip in my 220. It was used at an industry trade show, then my mother in law had it, then came to my house. Noticed the chip while filling it. Filled it with silicone and its been fine for about 18 months

If your paying for this tank, it better be a GREAT price, like under $30, just for the possibility of a leak.

I’m getting the tank for free so either way maybe I could turn it into some other really cool tank that’s not filled with water. Frogs or something? Not sure lol. I would really love to use this an upgrade from my 46G, otherwise it will never happen. So I either risk it with this chipped 180 or stick with my 46 until I finish high school, then college, and buy my own house and save up enough for a big tank.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the tank for free so either way maybe I could turn it into some other really cool tank that’s not filled with water. Frogs or something? Not sure lol. I would really love to use this an upgrade from my 46G, otherwise it will never happen. So I either risk it with this chipped 180 or stick with my 46 until I finish high school, then college, and buy my own house and save up enough for a big tank.
Would be a killer dart frog colony terrarium, though probably a total pain for maintenance with no front access.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Smart thing to do, FROGS!!
Fastest growing hobby on the moment, faster than reefing.
One on the ten Reefers becoming froggers.

IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG

My only problem is the hobbyists. I tried to get into it a few months ago with a 20 long tank I had just for a single frog or maybe 2, and the people on the forums were really rude about just about everything I asked. I could tell they were trying their best to make me feel like an idiot and it didn’t exactly make me want to get into it so scrapped that idea.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG
This is a goal of mine. I have loved darts since growing up and seeing at the local zoo. One day I will finally set something up. Cobalts and Bumblebees were my favorite.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only problem is the hobbyists. I tried to get into it a few months ago with a 20 long tank I had just for a single frog or maybe 2, and the people on the forums were really rude about just about everything I asked. I could tell they were trying their best to make me feel like an idiot and it didn’t exactly make me want to get into it so scrapped that idea.
Yeah, it can be discouraging when faced with such negativity. That's why we all love R2R, such a great environment with friendly people.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hear you.
I'm only active on two of the forums and sometimes even me will jump into the ring to bash these control freaks.
Just a warm welcome isn't a important thing on the dendro sites.
I just lurk for most part and jump on the rare things they sell.
Two weeks ago I bought all the rare Orchids from one member and they attacked me as I needed to share, told them to kiss my *** as I can buy with my money what ever is offered for sale.
These orchids weren't cheap though 20 fro 11 franklins :eek:
I do the same with frogs, have a pair of blue legged Glax coming after I return from my Hunting trip after thanksgiving.
Just left yesterday for a 10 day hunt.
Yeah eating fresh shot turkey with the bucks that don't run into my arrows ;)

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same with frogs, have a pair of blue legged Glax coming after I return from my Hunting trip after thanksgiving.
Just left yesterday for a 10 day hunt.
Yeah eating fresh shot turkey with the bucks that don't run into my arrows ;)
I'll be in the stand for the next three days, finally took some time off work. I'm after a large furry black teddy bear and a few of the bucks you mentioned.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go every other weekend.
My family won't let me go on Christmas so thanksgiving it is.
Thanksgiving isn't in my blood anyways as Europe doesn't know that tradition.
Spike was all around my blind this afternoon.
IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2773.JPG

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, I've been into reptiles and amphibians for my whole life. I ditched the forums almost immediately. They make the Tang Police look tame...lol

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would use it. I mean, I've had tanks crack for no apparent reason that weren't chipped. I've had some with chips in the middle of the glass that worked fine.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would use it. I mean, I've had tanks crack for no apparent reason that weren't chipped. I've had some with chips in the middle of the glass that worked fine.

I’ll look at it in person when I go to pick it up. Like I said if not I’ll just put it in the basement and do something else, but I would have really loved to have it upstairs as a display. I was feeling really good about my reefing skills when my dad said he was willing to get rid of our living room decor for a big tank as long as I make it look as good as my current one. I have heard of filling in the chip with silicone, will this actually do anything for strength?

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look at it in person when I go to pick it up. Like I said if not I’ll just put it in the basement and do something else, but I would have really loved to have it upstairs as a display. I was feeling really good about my reefing skills when my dad said he was willing to get rid of our living room decor for a big tank as long as I make it look as good as my current one. I have heard of filling in the chip with silicone, will this actually do anything for strength?

The main concern would be it springing a leak from there. Adding silicon won't do anything for the strength of the glass, but could help prevent a leak. Like the other poster said, I would check to see if it caused any separation of the silicon from the glass.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here is my 2 cents.

I had an exact thing happen when my wife carried a microwave right into the tank in our old apartment. We were on the 3rd floor and I dont want to thing what would have happened if the tank burst; thank god it didnt.

It had the same exact damage but on the left hand side of the tank. Tank was still being used for more than 2 years past accident; then given away when I moved. I personally would be afraid to start a tank in such condition (I like my things in top shape) but give my experience the tank held just fine.

Take it as you wish.

P.S. For a second there I though it was the same tank I gave away but the damage on yours is on the right.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 155 gallon has a similar chip. The first thing I did was resilicone the entire tank. It's been up and running for about 6 months with no issues. I ran some black tint across the back and partially around the sides to cover the overflows from showing and now I can't even see the chip.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go every other weekend.
My family won't let me go on Christmas so thanksgiving it is.
Thanksgiving isn't in my blood anyways as Europe doesn't know that tradition.
Spike was all around my blind this afternoon.
IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2773.JPG
How many doo-dangles you got on that thing Diesel?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back