Chipped tank

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller of the 8 x 2 x 2, 240g tank accidentally chipped a corner. I understand chip is a weak point and a risk to use as is, a risk I'm not inclined to take. My question is is there any way to reliably reinforce this area, Either from the inside or from the outside. Could you add glass block bracing of some sort inside or silicone a glass strip to the outside or maybe wood corners similar to the old style metal trim tanks

652818615.jpg 652821654.jpg 652821631.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a strip of glass to the inside, up and down the whole joint, similar to what euro bracing is. It will show. You would need to remove the protective bead of silicone and clean the area so no residue is left. Use a structural silicone to attach the extra piece. This will take some pressure off the area. Will this keep the clam shell chip from forming cracks? Hard to tell.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller of the 8 x 2 x 2, 240g tank accidentally chipped a corner. I understand chip is a weak point and a risk to use as is, a risk I'm not inclined to take. My question is is there any way to reliably reinforce this area, Either from the inside or from the outside. Could you add glass block bracing of some sort inside or silicone a glass strip to the outside or maybe wood corners similar to the old style metal trim tanks

652818615.jpg 652821654.jpg 652821631.jpg
my 40 gal freshwater has the same thing. as long as it is just on the glass, it should be okay. if its touching the seam though its dangerous. my chip is exactly like yours

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hard telling from front shot, but from side hit doesn’t look bad. If it’s just the surface and didn’t really crack I would use. But I’m only going by the side view.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Optics from the front don't bother me too much as I can covered with wood trim when I do the stand put in storage above. I was also thinking when I do that trim I could silicone the wood to the outside of the glass as well.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would Dry, then Wet Sand that Chip with Silicon Carbide Sand Paper, to smooth out that chip so it doesn’t Spread. I had a large Bathroom Mirror, they chipped when they installed it. Every few days, there would be more glass chips on the counter. The glass company replaced it. I ask them what they were going to do with the mirror. They said they would re-grind the edge, to stop the chip spread. Wear Gloves, a Mask, and Eye protection, while sanding.

Back