Chloramines The adventure.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you look at your local water quality reports? I really did not pay attention to mine until I started burning through DI resin faster than normal and I have been also dealing with some issues. I figured I would put this out there, so other would have the information.

Chloramines are used to treat our water along with chlorine in the purification process, and without the proper filtration the chloramines basically cause mild ammonia after being processed by the carbon in our Ro systems. When the ammonia does not get processed out by the simple carbon block, it causes the TDS's to be higher before the water hits the DI resin and the resin works harder to filter out the impurities. which means that we burn through DI risen much faster.

From what I am reading, chloramines are ammonia bonded to chlorine and have a longer affects then just using chlorine alone in the treatment process. It makes sense for the local water supply to use. Just knowing this would help in the water reports and help in how and what measures we need to filter our water. The only places that the chloramines are not present are, private wells water that are not treated also water sources such as rivers, lakes and other fresh water sources. Very few drink the water out of the tap down here were we live. Our drinking water is from the St. John's River which flows south to north. The St John's water source is from the marshes/swamps mixed in with a little leached in seawater along with residual fertilizer, agriculture, and commercial then filtered through sand and then processed through our local water company.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More great info on Chloramines
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.php

Also, keep in mind that you can have 0 TDS and still have chloramines getting past your RO/DI system.
True, and thank you for adding more information to the post. It is recommended to have two active carbon filters in the RO/DI system, which I am putting in the week by adding one more carbon filter. It is a relatively cheap upgrade

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure makes a chloramine filter. it replaces the standard carbon filter, so you only need one.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons I am actually happy to be on a well that is fed by the aquafer down here. The tap water is nasty here, especially this time of year.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A properly functioning RO/DI unit will remove chloramines. The issue is when people wait until they get measurable TDS to change filters. If your carbon filter is saturated you will start passing chloramine through the RO/DI filter and still potentially read 0 TDS. Chloramines will use up a filter much faster than water without chloramine in it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back