Chloroquine phosphate

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree to start treating by lowering the salinity or copper. Either way, if temp is not at least 80F, raise it to hurry the life cycle. I would switch to CP when you can get a hold of some... it's much safer on fishes and bacteria bed IMO than copper.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT INFO! Why shouldn't it be used with wrasses?

There are anecdotal reports of certain species of wrasses not tolerating CP. I personally have lost a few flasher wrasses when attempting treatment. Symptoms after dosing have been consistent: wrasse does fine for a day, then becomes listless and perishes by the 2nd or 3rd day of treatment.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using CP is it not just put in 1 time in the tank for a certain amount of days for treatment?

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are anecdotal reports of certain species of wrasses not tolerating CP. I personally have lost a few flasher wrasses when attempting treatment. Symptoms after dosing have been consistent: wrasse does fine for a day, then becomes listless and perishes by the 2nd or 3rd day of treatment.
Yes. Unless doing WC. Then you need to dose properly whatever new water you're adding as to not lower the concentration of the med.

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quoted the wrong post. Sorry.

This is about the one time dosing on the tank question.

Yes. Unless doing WC. Then you need to dose properly whatever new water you're adding as to not lower the concentration of the med.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using CP is it not just put in 1 time in the tank for a certain amount of days for treatment?

You dose once and then leave the fish in it for 30 days. Dosage is 40mg/gal for prophylactic treatment; 60mg/gal for fish with visible ich or brook; 80mg/gal for velvet or Uronema marinum. However in theory, anything ≥40mg/gal should get the job done in all cases. I use a $20 digital scale to measure & dose.

Goat33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this information as I am currently battling ich and was wondering how to go about in fighting it. I will try this method.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents on CP & wrasses: Back when I first started using CP, I ran a couple of sixline wrasses and a melanurus thru it @ 40mg/gal. My experience was similar to what Chris said. Except mine stopped eating and died after about a week. I was having so much success treating all my other fish with CP, that it took a little bit to make the connection with wrasses. I haven't treated a wrasse with CP since - I use copper or run them thru tank transfer when I need to QT.

Flash forward to the past 6 months or so. I've been advising a LFS on how to QT using CP, and he specializes in high end flasher & fairy wrasses. He tells me his wrasses do great in it, but he's losing ORA baby clownfish like crazy. So, go figure... :eek:oh:

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My 2 cents on CP & wrasses: Back when I first started using CP, I ran a couple of sixline wrasses and a melanurus thru it @ 40mg/gal. My experience was similar to what Chris said. Except mine stopped eating and died after about a week. I was having so much success treating all my other fish with CP, that it took a little bit to make the connection with wrasses. I haven't treated a wrasse with CP since - I use copper or run them thru tank transfer when I need to QT.

Flash forward to the past 6 months or so. I've been advising a LFS on how to QT using CP, and he specializes in high end flasher & fairy wrasses. He tells me his wrasses do great in it, but he's losing ORA baby clownfish like crazy. So, go figure... :eek:oh:

Interesting. I wonder why the wrasses seem to be susceptible to it when most other fish do fine (and why the LFS is having different results). Maybe they're just sensitive fish in general...?? Thanks for sharing! This is a new treatment tool for me.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info.. I'm a newbie and my puffer had visible ich but I had no clue what to do so I asked the place where I bought it from to house it for me lol since I literally bought it 2 days ago. But I will def try this method.

As for measuring the dosage amount will teaspoon measurements not work? I ask this because you stated you used a digital scale? Just curious cuz if teaspoon measurements will not work maybe I might look into getting a scale as well

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions lol

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so dosage wise If my qt is a 10 gallon are you saying 40mg will be suffice dosage for my tank for 30 days?

And what about when I tap off the water? I have to add a little more dosage right?

Sry about all the questions just want to make sure I understand it correctly because ich seems to be very common and I want to be able to know what to do if it happens to me again :)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I see thanks so much .. Def going to order this scale n thanks for the quick response as well You've been a great deal of help when it comes to using CP.

Is it ok to use solutions such as prime or stress coat when using Cp?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to use solutions such as prime or stress coat when using Cp?

I've used both Prime & Amquel in conjunction with CP, with no ill effects. I haven't used stress coat since my freshwater days. :wink:

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol really no stresscoat?! I'm assuming you dnt use tap water like me then lol right?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol really no stresscoat?! I'm assuming you dnt use tap water like me then lol right?

I only use RODI. When I QT, I will often use water stored from a recent DT water change. I'm thrifty like that. :wink:

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok ... So you use rodi for a new Qt and top it off wit ur DT water?

No, I use water from a recent display tank water change to fill my QT and RODI freshwater to top it off as needed. Obviously, this is only a good idea if you are sure your DT is disease free.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh ok I see... Makes more sense lol! In your QT how is good bacteria produced if no live rock? I've heard of just buying liquid good bacteria to put in the Qt but when I went to the fish place he told me not too and just use my DT water since it already has good bacteria. But I feel as if he was giving me false info because a lot of things read says to just buy good bacteria

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back