Chloroquine phosphate

Blueseatex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 CP is "a work in progress" ... All Hippo Tangs, anthias and wrasses are considered "CP intolerant" for the time being out of an abundance of caution, until more research can be done. Most "proper research" that is done has financial incentive. Since CP cannot be utilized by the aquafarming industry, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this research. ;) (You won't find too many studies on copper for the same exact reason.)

So, in the meanwhile you're stuck with anecdotal evidence from people like me & Meredith and sometimes public aquariums share info as well. But they're typically short on staff & funding - most "employees" are just volunteers, with just one Marine Biologist in charge of everything.

I'll call Diamondback to find out exactly why they're saying to do multiple dosages. :confused:
I'm not attacking anyone if that was how it perceived. I'm just trying to get clear information out on a drug that has a lot of potential in this hobby.

I am using cp on two species on the list. I'm not a marine biologist or an expert. I'm Just a longtime "keeper of water". I want what's best for the fish.

I Really want to understand how an algaecide can kill a certain species of fish? This drug has been around for a while and so much still remains unknown. Since there is'nt going to be any studies because it's not profitable the average hobbiest is just stuck with copper. Unless others use cp on these fish we will never move forward with this treatment.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Really want to understand how an algaecide can kill a certain species of fish? This drug has been around for a while and so much still remains unknown. Since there is'nt going to be any studies because it's not profitable the average hobbiest is just stuck with copper. Unless others use cp on these fish we will never move forward with this treatment.

More and more people are using CP every day. Its difficult to get a prescription for it. But as they do, we can compile more data with each report or documented use. Some fish react badly to this medication... it's similar to how some cats can't have the same meds as dogs, or some people react badly to certain medications (similar but not necessarily the same since we are talking about fish). We don't know why these fish groups tend to wither away and die in CP, but more work will be done on that front by hobbyists like us on this forum.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time getting my ammonia to zero. I put in a seeded sponge, Dr tims bacteria, but still showing Ammonia. I'm changing 25 percent of the water daily (and redosing cp) but it still shows. I'm dosing prime everyday.

Will a bag of purigen remove the CP?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing for ammonia or relying on the alert badge? I honestly don't know if Purigen will remove CP or not.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both, the red sea kit reads "total ammonia" which is consistent with the readings on the badge.

The badge will still work with CP, but your Red Sea test kit WILL NOT. Are you shining a bright white light either directly overhead or behind the alert badge to see it's true colour?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble's first page indicates that Anthias are best excluded from CP treatment - is this still the accepted wisdom?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble's first page indicates that Anthias are best excluded from CP treatment - is this still the accepted wisdom?

Yes it is. As the chart dbl posted indicates :)

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Can a skimmer be used with CP?

Can CP be used with sand and LR?

Thanks

You can, people did it before, but its not advisable.
Since CP has no test kits you can't tell how much is available in the water, thats why you measure the dose then wait for 30 days. Running skimmer might remove some of it out of the water, probably not much, but over the period of 30 days it might decrease the therapeutical level. For live rock and sand its similar, live rock is very porous and might absorb some medication, although some expert say it won't absorb CP, but why risk it. Again you will run into issues of low dosage and also you don't want to risk adding inverts to the tank since they are sensitive to CP and live rock or sand might leach it to back to the system.

Anyways, you would want to administer CP in quarantine tank with bare bottom and airstone and seeded HOB or sponge filter instead of live rock and skimmer you can siphon remaining food and bare bottom tank will make it easier to do so and it is somehow similar to skimming.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this on another thread (and earlier here with zero responses, but this thread has many more eyes on it), but has anyone successfully used CP in quarantine with a wartskin angler? I have one coming next week and I don't know if it is a "sensitive" species.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't need to. CP kills crypt and velvet without the side effects of copper.
What if iv dosed copper before, and after carbin, some copper is still left. If i dose cp now, will it affect the fish? Cu testkit is not availabe in india as of now.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back