Chloroquine phosphate

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I put some nori in there as well. When I got home if had a weird slime in it and the fish didn't touch it. How can I go about feeding my kole tang and foxface?

It probably got all slimy from being in the tank all day and nobody eating it. I would just offer small pieces at a time until they start eating it better. You don't really want to leave it in the tank all day if it's not being eaten, so that's why I say smaller amounts. You can also try rubber banding it to a small rock to make it feel more natural to them.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would always eat it before. I seem to be getting some amount of appetite suppression, even when feeding the normal food. Is that normal at the beginning. Now I am convinced it is velvet, not crypt. Should I still expect to see it start falling off in the near future?

Andy, my puffer who has the active infection, is still eating (not as much, but he is quite ill). I want to see some degree of improvement so I can rest assured that the CP is doing it's job. Ammonia badge still shows 0.05ppm. It hasn't moved.

Some other people had recommended to remove my filter socks. I did, but I am a bit unsure of this. I don't like not filtering out uneaten food, etc.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am convinced it is velvet, not crypt. Should I still expect to see it start falling off in the near future?
Yes, you will still see them dropping off... or more accurately you'll see that he has less and less spots.
I seem to be getting some amount of appetite suppression, even when feeding the normal food. Is that normal at the beginning.
Yes, that's normal with most medications. As long as they are still eating something, then they should be ok.
Some other people had recommended to remove my filter socks. I did, but I am a bit unsure of this. I don't like not filtering out uneaten food, etc.
If you have socks, then I would probably run them and change them as often as possible.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you will still see them dropping off... or more accurately you'll see that he has less and less spots.

Will his breathing return to normal as they fall off?

If you have socks, then I would probably run them and change them as often as possible.

Will they remove the medication?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will his breathing return to normal as they fall off?

Yes, it should. Though the fish could suffocate before that since all the mucus and fluid will be building up in the gills to fight off the parasite. A freshwater dip might be in order.
Will they remove the medication?
No. Filter socks do not remove medication

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it should. Though the fish could suffocate before that since all the mucus and fluid will be building up in the gills to fight off the parasite. A freshwater dip might be in order.

Do you think it is worth the risk at this point? If it's been 2 days since CP, wouldn't the velvet start falling off by itself? I'd hate to overstress him now when he's sick. Will the freshwater dip clear his gills out?

I hate this. [emoji35]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it is worth the risk at this point? If it's been 2 days since CP, wouldn't the velvet start falling off by itself? I'd hate to overstress him now when he's sick. Will the freshwater dip clear his gills out?

I hate this. [emoji35]

A freshwater dip should flush out the gills and allow them to breathe easier. It's ultimately up to you on whether you do the dip or not. You could just continue with the CP of course. Totally up to you :)

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip should flush out the gills and allow them to breathe easier. It's ultimately up to you on whether you do the dip or not. You could just continue with the CP of course. Totally up to you :)
I've been reading up on FW dips. How long should I do it? I was also going to put him in his own QT with CP. I think he has a bacterial infection now. He has a bit of a cloudy eye. I got some Erythromycin to treat him with, but I can't do that in the DT

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's rock and sand in there it could be absorbing the CP and affecting the concentration in the water.
There is a lot of discussion about this. Many people (on this site and others) have dosed the DT (I have a Fowler) without issue. CP doesn't behave the same as copper.

Many people have left the DT fallow for 12 weeks only to have parasites return shortly after reintroduction. I'm trying to erradicate the parasite.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of discussion about this. Many people (on this site and others) have dosed the DT (I have a Fowler) without issue. CP doesn't behave the same as copper.

Many people have left the DT fallow for 12 weeks only to have parasites return shortly after reintroduction. I'm trying to erradicate the parasite.
But there is no easy way to measure the concentration of cp in water so there's no way to know for sure whether the rock and sand has absorbed it. So if you're trying to eliminate it from the display and don't trust the fallow period (although I'm more inclined to believe that it's user error or an unusually persistent strain of ich) then you might have to do a higher dose, say 65mg/l, to ensure you're reaching the 40mg/l nessecary.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But there is no easy way to measure the concentration of cp in water so there's no way to know for sure whether the rock and sand has absorbed it. So if you're trying to eliminate it from the display and don't trust the fallow period (although I'm more inclined to believe that it's user error or an unusually persistent strain of ich) then you might have to do a higher dose, say 65mg/l, to ensure you're reaching the 40mg/l nessecary.

+1 A well established DT will also contain high concentrations of bacteria capable of breaking down CP and other medications: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some conflicting opinions about this. Several people have dosed the DT here.

As a happy side effect, all my aiptasia is gone! The fish all seem active, but the appetite isn't what I expected. It's only been 3 days. Maybe they are still adjusting.

Read some of this thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136214

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started treatment today (4/16/2017) on my Royal Gramma, named Sunset. I've had him for about 3 weeks now I think, and he was healthy apon arrival at the store and for the 2-3 weeks before I took him home, as well. So I'm starting with a fish that I know is very healthy and robust, he's been eating great, very active, etc. I've been keeping him in a 10g using water from my display, and I just moved him to a different 10g, freshly set up with more display tank water, made sure salinity and temp matched, dosed 400mg of cp and moved him in. He's still scared and hiding in the corner but I expect by tomorrow he'll be back to his normal self.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back