OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, I would think that the DEA has bigger fish to fry (see what I did there) than arresting people sharing medications trying to cure ornamental fish.

Yup, cocaine & heroin dealers probably take precedence over some guy selling an antimalarial on ebay. :p

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. I said a source, like which veterinarians are people using?

However, I would think that the DEA has bigger fish to fry (see what I did there) than arresting people sharing medications trying to cure ornamental fish.
Hi i am treating a couple of fish in QT with it. Its a 70 gal QT with a personifer, fowleri, crosshatch and possibly an Emperator. I may have to divide tank due to fighting once i put the Emp in. I have a wet dry,canister and hang on filter on it and its been running for over a year. Dont know if my Bioload can handle it but can i use praiquantinel powder in conjunction with Chloroquine phosphate maybe at a lower dose? I think the Emp might have flukes and ich. Or is Chloroquine effective on Flukes? Its Vet grade. Thanks for your help. Tom

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am treating a couple of fish in QT with it. Its a 70 gal QT with a personifer, fowleri, crosshatch and possibly an Emperator. I may have to divide tank due to fighting once i put the Emp in. I have a wet dry,canister and hang on filter on it and its been running for over a year. Dont know if my Bioload can handle it but can i use praiquantinel powder in conjunction with Chloroquine phosphate maybe at a lower dose? I think the Emp might have flukes and ich. Or is Chloroquine effective on Flukes? Its Vet grade. Thanks for your help. Tom
Don't use Prazi-pro with CP unless you have a significant amount of air exchange.

The safer option is CP with API General Cure. It has Prazi and Metronidazole.

To answer your question, CP does not treat flukes.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. The fish are in such good shape (aside from the ich), that I went ahead and dosed the tank with 60mg/gal this morning, and will see how it goes. This whole cycle took about a week, and the fish tolerated it very well, so I'll spend the 7-10 days watching/waiting, and if it fails again this time, I'll move to copper or TTM.

About a day and a half after dosing the tank, significant improvement in the appearance of the fish. Most of the signs of ich are gone, I can still make out some slight discoloration on pectoral fins. This is the same thing that happened the first time, so if a 60mg/gal dose with the ebay stuff truly eradicates it, or if it comes back again.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the tacky plastic caves at Petco absorb CP/Medication? I think maybe the fish would be happier with a fake plastic cave vs a PVC pipe.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the tacky plastic caves at Petco absorb CP/Medication? I think maybe the fish would be happier with a fake plastic cave vs a PVC pipe.

That's hard to say really. Typically thermoplastics (like PVC) absorb less than other plastics.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 30 grams for $34.88
Thats very interesting. I too got a script from my vet and got mine from Diamondback for $122.00 for 50 grams just for the CP 6 months ago. If its in that amount they send all the powder in one single bag. The Pharmacist told me if they had to have someone break it up into one gram bags it would take too much time and thus drive the cost up. I wonder what the discrepancy in price was? Not sure why they would be charging different prices to different people. It should be the same across the board.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humblefish, I was worried what I was using was not effective. I will revert to copper. Do you recommend Cupramine? I have two fish to get out of the DT before I can begin my Fallow period. They are not falling for my fish traps. I am trying the lights off for a few days to get them nice and hungry and try the traps again. Breaking down my tank is not possible (400 Gallon, 96X30X30) all the rocks are glued together. Any other suggestions to catch the last two fish (1 Chromis and 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse)
Its funny you say that. About 7 months ago i was in the same boat as you. I had all fish out accept a Randells Anthias and a cleaner wrasse. I tried the trap to no avail. So I was told by a friend to go to Cabbalas and get a really small hook, ( a dry fly, size 24) and tied small line to it and baited it with PE mysis. It took 4 days and I got both of them, actually my wife did, haha. We pulled them out and took the hook out cleanly and both fish spent 2 months in QT and now BOTH fish are back in my display happy as can be. Just be patient, don't feed and they'll go for it on the hook. Worked like a charm.....with a little help from my wife.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am currently using CP in my 70gal Qt. I want to also dose Prazi powder. Would i dose at 1 teaspoon per 40gals? Would i dose at a lower amt? Or should i just use General cure. thanks Tom

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thats very interesting. I too got a script from my vet and got mine from Diamondback for $122.00 for 50 grams just for the CP 6 months ago. If its in that amount they send all the powder in one single bag. The Pharmacist told me if they had to have someone break it up into one gram bags it would take too much time and thus drive the cost up. I wonder what the discrepancy in price was? Not sure why they would be charging different prices to different people. It should be the same across the board.
I have 2 guesses why the difference in price. First maybe it was the amount. Maybe DBD had some sort of sale on that specific quantity ( 30 grams)?
Then there is always what some places charge for markup. My vet friend said he would not charge any sort of markup.
I really don't know. But the price I got was the same price listed earlier in this thread.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on when you purchase it and how in demand it is at any given time, i.e.. supply and demand.

Outbreaks of malaria come and go in different parts of the world, and that can have a direct impact on the going price of CP at that time. As you said, supply and demand at work.

I had all fish out accept a Randells Anthias and a cleaner wrasse.
Did the wrasse and anthias successfully complete CP treatment? If so, how long were they exposed to it?

What do you mean by breaking down the Prazi with Formalin? I thought you could not dose prazi with CP?
You can dose powder praziquantel with CP e.g. General Cure; just not Prazipro (with contains Oxybispropanol).

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Outbreaks of malaria come and go in different parts of the world, and that can have a direct impact on the going price of CP at that time. As you said, supply and demand at work.

@Carlos Danger , much better explanation than mine.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back