OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish do you recommend using a full dose of CP right from the start, or work it up over a couple days?

I add the full dose just before the fish goes into QT. So it's fully dissolved in the water before they go in.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outbreaks of malaria come and go in different parts of the world, and that can have a direct impact on the going price of CP at that time. As you said, supply and demand at work.

Did the wrasse and anthias successfully complete CP treatment? If so, how long were they exposed to it?

You can dose powder praziquantel with CP e.g. General Cure; just not Prazipro (with contains Oxybispropanol).
Its crazy! My vet gave me the script and I faxed it in myself to diamond and spoke to them over the phone in length. Its nice to know that they do source from 3 places for CP. One is in Canada, one is Texas, and they do source one from overseas. The nice thing is that they triple check for purity, consistency, heavy metals, etc. I spoke to the specific person who orders it and he said their standard is always never below 99.5%. He also said he can check the batch numbers at anytime and when you order it he can cross reference from which exact place they sourced it from at that particular time so you know where your CP is from. I feel pretty good about their procedures and its definitely worth the extra money regardless.

By the way, the powder is also heat sensitive as well as light sensitive. So if you keep your stuff in the garage and it gets too hot in there it probably will degrade the powder. I learned this the hard way and wasted about 20 grams. Definitely want to keep it in a temperature controlled space, i.e. inside the house in a cabinet. Like whats been stated before, in a cool, dark, place tucked into a cabinet:)

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any possibility of measuring cp? Since I have a 15g qt with a purple tang as u know, IV added 500mg × 3 tablets, so can I add one more tablet after 15days? Just in case the dose has reduced after ambient lighting?

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any possibility of measuring cp? Since I have a 15g qt with a purple tang as u know, IV added 500mg × 3 tablets, so can I add one more tablet after 15days? Just in case the dose has reduced after ambient lighting?

That will be enough for 30 days, you already dosed 60mg/gal so even if it biodgrades it will still be within therapeutical range. ambient light should not effect how fast cp degrades.

Also for testing unfortunatly no test kits are available, the only option so far is get it tested in a lab, so that means you have to pay a lot of $$$

You should be clear with the current dosage, but if you are worried, you can setup another 15 gal tank and dose it with 3x500 cp and then move the fish, but i dont believe it will be more benefitial compared to leaving them with same dosage. Also remember that people dose 40 mg/gal and they still succeed.

Dont add extra CP to try to compensate for degraded ones, you might accidentaly overdose the cp and kill the fish.

Best of luck

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be enough for 30 days, you already dosed 60mg/gal so even if it biodgrades it will still be within therapeutical range. ambient light should not effect how fast cp degrades.

Also for testing unfortunatly no test kits are available, the only option so far is get it tested in a lab, so that means you have to pay a lot of $$$

You should be clear with the current dosage, but if you are worried, you can setup another 15 gal tank and dose it with 3x500 cp and then move the fish, but i dont believe it will be more benefitial compared to leaving them with same dosage. Also remember that people dose 40 mg/gal and they still succeed.

Dont add extra CP to try to compensate for degraded ones, you might accidentaly overdose the cp and kill the fish.

Best of luck
Thank you.. :) its eating normal, the colour is still faded, but when I feed it, it really colours up.. That's normal?

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.. :) its eating normal, the colour is still faded, but when I feed it, it really colours up.. That's normal?
Glad to hear that. Never noticed color change before when feeding, but I think its normal, its getting energy from food which makes it use more energy on showing those colors. Make sure you feed well (but not over feed) in quarantine as they dont have LR to graze on as in DT.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that. Never noticed color change before when feeding, but I think its normal, its getting energy from food which makes it use more energy on showing those colors. Make sure you feed well (but not over feed) in quarantine as they dont have LR to graze on as in DT.
I'm feeding 3 pinches a day, sometimes 2 for this reason. It's between 3 to 4" in size as seen in the video.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its crazy! My vet gave me the script and I faxed it in myself to diamond and spoke to them over the phone in length. Its nice to know that they do source from 3 places for CP. One is in Canada, one is Texas, and they do source one from overseas. The nice thing is that they triple check for purity, consistency, heavy metals, etc. I spoke to the specific person who orders it and he said their standard is always never below 99.5%. He also said he can check the batch numbers at anytime and when you order it he can cross reference from which exact place they sourced it from at that particular time so you know where your CP is from. I feel pretty good about their procedures and its definitely worth the extra money regardless.

By the way, the powder is also heat sensitive as well as light sensitive. So if you keep your stuff in the garage and it gets too hot in there it probably will degrade the powder. I learned this the hard way and wasted about 20 grams. Definitely want to keep it in a temperature controlled space, i.e. inside the house in a cabinet. Like whats been stated before, in a cool, dark, place tucked into a cabinet:)

Thank you for the information about it also being heat sensitive, I'll add that to the sticky.

Back when I vetted Diamondback for R2R, I asked many of the same questions. I was very impressed by their attention to detail - something near & dear to my own heart. ;) I've always been concerned how CP being used haphazardly (not measuring dosage correctly, ebay sellers, using it in a DT, etc.) could derail a very promising alternative to copper.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi What medications can you use with ich besides Prazi powder? Any antibiotics for bacterial infections? Would you use a full dose? thanks for your help

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi What medications can you use with ich besides Prazi powder? Any antibiotics for bacterial infections? Would you use a full dose? thanks for your help

You can combine most antibiotics with CP & prazi powder. However, the more meds you dump on a fish all at once, the more likely you are to see an adverse reaction or experience side effects e.g. appetite suppression.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning i noticed my clownfish also looks like he has ich would it be ok to add him 4-5 days into treatment of CP? . Anyway i think its ich? here are pics. thanks for your help

017.JPG

019.JPG

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can one keep the lights on just for checking the fish health during cp treatment?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can one keep the lights on just for checking the fish health during cp treatment?

You can run lights normally in a QT with CP. Its the powder itself that is light/heat sensitive.

However, if you are using CP (or copper) to treat fish with velvet I would keep the lights off as much as possible. Velvet causes fish to become overly sensitive to light.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run lights normally in a QT with CP. Its the powder itself that is light/heat sensitive.

However, if you are using CP (or copper) to treat fish with velvet I would keep the lights off as much as possible. Velvet causes fish to become sensitive to light.
The tang died...[emoji17]

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium), Brooklynella hostilis & Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Chloroquine phosphate (CP) is a “new drug” that actually was widely used to control external protozoa in saltwater aquariums back in the 70s & 80s. It was even used in some aquarium medications sold at LFS. Nowadays CP requires a prescription to purchase legitimately, making it more difficult to obtain. Fast forward to today and thanks to the power of the Internet, CP has come roaring back! The biggest obstacle to overcome is obtaining pharmaceutical grade 99% pure CP. I cannot stress the importance of this enough. Do not buy it from some guy on eBay or even an online vendor. The only way to be sure you are getting 99% pure CP is to get your vet (or an MD) to write a prescription which can then be filled by a compounding pharmacy.

CP is a “one and done” medication, meaning you dose once and that’s it. There are no test kits for CP, so it’s important that you dose accurately using a digital scale. Also, don’t forget to dose any replacement water (from water changes, but not top-off) with CP. The dosage rates are as follows:
  • Prophylactic treatment is 40 mg per gallon.
  • For active infections (visible symptoms present), I typically will up the dosage to 60mg/gal. However, I cannot say if this is anymore effective than the "standard" 40mg/gal dose.
  • For Uronema marinum and really bad infestations, you can dose up to 80mg/gal. However, I have noticed appetite suppression and lethargy at this concentration. :oops:
As you can see, there is quite a bit of wiggle room between the minimum & maximum dosage. Practically speaking, 40mg/gal will treat all external protozoa issues… its just that the higher dosages may get the job done a little faster. Treatment lasts 30 consecutive days, and no carbon, UV, etc. may be used during this time (although it can be used later when you wish to remove the medication from the water.) A little quirk about CP is that light will degrade it; however it appears this mainly applies to the powder itself, so store your CP in a cool, dark place. Once in water, you may use an aquarium light with CP - however fish with velvet are light sensitive so I would only use ambient lighting (ex. lamp across the room) if treating for that. CP is NOT reef safe. In addition to killing your corals, it is a very strong algaecide.

Pros - Gentle on most fish (see DO NOT USE list below), a “one and done” medication that treats most external protozoa. CP is the closest thing there is to a “wonder drug” in our hobby.

Cons/Side Effects - Expensive, hard to get (requires a prescription), powder is heat & light sensitive - so store in a cool, dark place. Attempts to feed CP laced food are usually not successful due to its bad metallic taste.

** Based upon anecdotal experience (mine and others), DO NOT USE CP on Anthias, Wrasses or Hippo Tangs. For the time being, chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) is the best alternative to use on these species. **

** Finally, a place to buy Chloroquine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-place-to-buy-chloroquine.252610/ **

** Special thanks to @svogun for providing this link, which can be used to find aquatic vets in your area for sourcing CP: http://www.aquavetmed.info/ **
Hi i am on my 9th day of treatment of chloroquine in QT. I need to dose Prazi powder. The Total volume of my system is about 70 gallons. i know Prazi calls for about 1 teaspoon for every 40 gallons . How much should i dose to be effective but also on safe side? Appreciate your help. Tom

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am on my 9th day of treatment of chloroquine in QT. I need to dose Prazi powder. The Total volume of my system is about 70 gallons. i know Prazi calls for about 1 teaspoon for every 40 gallons . How much should i dose to be effective but also on safe side? Appreciate your help. Tom

The minimum effective dose for praziquantel is 2.0 mg/L.

70 gal = 265 L, so you would need to dose 530 mg of praziquantel powder. I would use a digital scale for more accurate dosing.

I would also put the powder in a fine mesh/brine shrimp net, so it can slowly be expressed into the water. You don't want to mix any solubilizing agents (e.g. ethyl alcohol) with CP.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back