Chloroquine phosphate

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I have some doubts, if trophont feeds on the body fluids and cells of the fish for about 3–7 days (Right?) if you feed CP is not reasonable to think that eventualy trophont will eat CP?
What do you think about Drs G eggs with CP? (can not get them in Chile :( , but love the idea, since fishes avoid CP, too bitter)
Also, I am thinking on bioencapsulate on BrineShrimp CP (basically soak live BS on CP solution for 15 minutes), that should improve the palatable and make fishes on a reef tank eat it? I have read it on metro and prazi, but never on CP or Hydroxy CP

Also, just for the record, I try with Hydroxy CP direct on ReefTank, bad idea. Some corals, specially SPS and some LPS, RIP. Make a 50% water change and run a large activated carbon, and now is back to normal, but not very stable.

The fishes tho are dealing ok with Ich, jus 1 or 2 show little to no sign. All are eating good. I miss 2 firefish (of 4) but they usually hide at hours I can check the tank.

Just ideas and I would love to read your thoughts about them, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@edosan The problem is CP has only been proven to eradicate the theront or “free swimming” stage. I can tell you from experience that direct exposure to CP will not kill trophonts. The parasite continues to cling to the fish for 3-7 days whether CP is present in the water or not. Now theoretically it is possible that CP can poison trophonts once ingested. However, will trophonts continue to feed or just drop off early to get away from the "bad meat"? ;) If they drop off early, then every time they come back to feed it's possible they will build up immunity, a little more each time, to CP.

About using CP in a reef: CP is a strong algaecide, therefore it will kill off zooxanthellae living in coral tissue.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I have some doubts, if trophont feeds on the body fluids and cells of the fish for about 3–7 days (Right?) if you feed CP is not reasonable to think that eventualy trophont will eat CP?
What do you think about Drs G eggs with CP? (can not get them in Chile :( , but love the idea, since fishes avoid CP, too bitter)
Also, I am thinking on bioencapsulate on BrineShrimp CP (basically soak live BS on CP solution for 15 minutes), that should improve the palatable and make fishes on a reef tank eat it? I have read it on metro and prazi, but never on CP or Hydroxy CP

Also, just for the record, I try with Hydroxy CP direct on ReefTank, bad idea. Some corals, specially SPS and some LPS, RIP. Make a 50% water change and run a large activated carbon, and now is back to normal, but not very stable.

The fishes tho are dealing ok with Ich, jus 1 or 2 show little to no sign. All are eating good. I miss 2 firefish (of 4) but they usually hide at hours I can check the tank.

Just ideas and I would love to read your thoughts about them, thanks in advance!

I used the Dr G. eggs. They don't work. Just take the tank apart and get the fish out. I had to do it on my 200. It was as bad I thought. An hour's time.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( givin a last chance with uv, 100w running + medicated food. Now more fishes are infected, if everything continues next week I will take the tank apart. dang[emoji36][emoji17]

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( givin a last chance with uv, 100w running + medicated food. Now more fishes are infected, if everything continues next week I will take the tank apart. ****[emoji36][emoji17]

Dont wait. You will lose them all. I hesitated and it cost me many more fish. UV, medicated foods all that do not work.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't right now holidays, all fishes eating good so far. On sunday (back @ home) if I do not see any improvement I will go fishless on dt for 90 days, freshwater dips, formalin & cooper and transfer method for all fishes...what a pain [emoji17]. All my fault tho.

Any sugestions?

Last edited:

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good thing is that fishes are eating the hcp with the food (new mix I made), but sunday will be my dead line. Ich sucks, fishless tank is my last resource. All advices are welcome!

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went fishless, day 2, 88 to go.
All fishes to TTM and then QT.
Start yesterday at 12, finished at 21, my back is so sore! [emoji17]

I lost only my neon gobies (all 4) looks like they are very sensitive to ich.

The rest (hepatus, surgeons, chromis, firefish, watchmans, clowns, flameangel, salaria) all good.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went fishless, day 2, 88 to go.
All fishes to TTM and then QT.
Start yesterday at 12, finished at 21, my back is so sore! [emoji17]

I lost only my neon gobies (all 4) looks like they are very sensitive to ich.

The rest (hepatus, surgeons, chromis, firefish, watchmans, clowns, flameangel, salaria) all good.

You'll look back and be glad you did this. Dealing with ich on a daily basis can become very tiring and losing fish can zap all the enjoyment out of the hobby for you. I know, I did it for 30+ years before I finally said enough.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble for your words.

I had to try, but like I mention since day 1, you are right...no shortcuts. The life cicle of Crypto. make you belive sometimes that you nail it, and you are ich free, but I observe a lot, and ich came back again and again.
I use to rise Discus Fish (those are waterchange heavy), so TTM is not such a pain...I will go for 15 days 3-3-3-3-3, seachem amonia alert, and 80% water changes every 24h or 12H depending on the alert.

I found 2 interesting things:
1- I saw lots of copeppods, in the DT (I use to search and never seen one before yesterday when I went fishless). Probably due the sand cleaning I made.
2- The first time I bring the AngelFlame I took it out of the bag and was like RIP, and after a while it came back. Yesterday I move it to a bucket and it was there for like 10 minutes before I move it to the QT, when I put it in the QT was the same, stiff and like death, but after a few minutes was alive and kiking. So I wonder...flame angel like to play dead or is too sensitive to amonia? Same with Chromis...but they are all good after 5 minutes.

Perculap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for this stuff from a reputable dealer for a few years, but the only sellers I've found don't sell smaller sizes. Is that ebay seller legit? He's from Michigan.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@edosan You can always use an ammonia reducer, such as Amquel or Prime, while doing TTM. So long as you are NOT dosing any meds.

@Perculap Folks who have bought from the ebay seller have experienced mixed results. The only way to be sure you are getting the "good stuff" is to buy from a reputable pharmacy (which requires a ℞ from a vet.) CP widely available on the Internet is mostly sourced from China, and the purity/quality of CP coming from there can be suspect.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! have tons of Seachem Safe (powder and concentrated version of prime)

@Humblefish
With a little more experience now with ich I wonder?

Unless you can easy get CP or HCP, why anyone should use this method, instead of Copper? (or cumpramine). Safer for fish?

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't try calling them and see who carries it here is the website that humblefish sent me

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! have tons of Seachem Safe (powder and concentrated version of prime)

@Humblefish
With a little more experience now with ich I wonder?

Unless you can easy get CP or HCP, why anyone should use this method, instead of Copper? (or cumpramine). Safer for fish?

CP works exactly the same as copper, but without all the nasty side effects. Most fish can handle being in copper, but some stop eating & just wither away. The only fish I know that do this in CP are sixline wrasses.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never use copper. Great to know! Thanks again for sharing...

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread, never heard of CP before. $180/kg http://fishremedies.com/chloroquinephosphate.aspx that would probably go a long way

Question though @Humblefish if it's something you need to go to a vet or doctor for and obtain a prescription in order to get a hold of the stuff, then why can you just buy it online through the link above?

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a while trying almost all, for me the way to go (more efective) is fallow periods and TTM, I will never introduce a fish again without Q. and TTM.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back