Chloroquine phosphate

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread, never heard of CP before. $180/kg http://fishremedies.com/chloroquinephosphate.aspx that would probably go a long way

Question though @Humblefish if it's something you need to go to a vet or doctor for and obtain a prescription in order to get a hold of the stuff, then why can you just buy it online through the link above?
Florida has some pretty lax laws/enforcement on pet pharmacies... I don't know how fish falls into that..
Petmeds is based from there for a reason, and when I lived in Pensacola there was a pet store that actually had a huge sign on the building "be your own Vet, buy antibiotics, heartworm prevention here!"

that's my 2 cents anyway, based on experience with veterinary stuff

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo All of the online places I've looked into source their CP from China, where QC standards can be highly dubious. Maybe you are getting 99% pure Chloroquine (i.e. the good stuff) or maybe something else entirely different. :eek: I only put my trust in CP that I buy direct from a US, Canadian or European pharmacy because it is meant for human consumption (to treat malaria). That means each batch is tested and no fillers are added to water it down to increase profitability i.e. it is 99% pure CP.

In the U.S. CP is an FDA controlled substance that you need a Rx for. So that's another added layer of defense ensuring you are getting 99% pure. :)

Emisis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have successfully mixed CP with the following meds in powder form: praziquantel, metronidazole, nitrofurazone, kanamycin, erythromycin. I've never tried mixing it with Epsom salt, but I don't see that being issue. You just want to avoid mixing CP with any liquid medication that contains a solubilizing agent - like Prazipro. The resulting interaction can (but doesn't always) lead to a bacterial bloom.

@Humblefish

When you used these powdered meds, did you add to food or add to tank? (Not Prazi as noted) I have contacted my Vet for a script for CP, whether they come through or not only time will tell. They were a bit confused until I explained and gave them the web addresses you have linked in this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

When you used these powdered meds, did you add to food or add to tank? (Not Prazi as noted) I have contacted my Vet for a script for CP, whether they come through or not only time will tell. They were a bit confused until I explained and gave them the web addresses you have link in this thread.

In a QT, you would dose directly into the tank. You technically can soak powder praziquantel, metronidazole, kanamycin, erythromycin into food (so long as you are also using a binder such as Seachem Focus), thus making these meds "reef safe". But I only advise doing that if you have no other option (i.e. no QT). I wouldn't soak nitrofurazone in food because that med can discolor the water if a little leaches out.

Emisis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a QT, you would dose directly into the tank. You technically can soak powder praziquantel, metronidazole, kanamycin, erythromycin into food (so long as you are also using a binder such as Seachem Focus), thus making these meds "reef safe". But I only advise doing that if you have no other option (i.e. no QT). I wouldn't soak nitrofurazone in food because that med can discolor the water if a little leaches out.

OK, Thank you for clearing that up.

I guess I better ask this too, Do/ did you start out with JUST CP and then use another med if things went towards a bacterial infection? OR do you use the meds in addition to the CP to prevent an infection?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Thank you for clearing that up.

I guess I better ask this too, Do/ did you start out with JUST CP and then use another med if things went towards a bacterial infection? OR do you use the meds in addition to the CP to prevent an infection?

I am currently experimenting with a 10 day "treatment program" for QT. The QT is predosed with CP @ 40mg/gal before the fish ever goes in. This takes care of all external parasites (ich, velvet, brook, uronema). API General Cure (which contains powder prazi/metro for deworming) is dosed the same day the fish goes in (i.e. Day 1), and then again on Day 3, 8 & 10. Kanaplex is prophylactically dosed on Day 2, and again on Day 4 & 6 (only if symptoms of a bacterial infection are present.)

On Day 11 the fish is transferred into a non-medicated HT (at least 10 feet away from the original QT) for further observation. Like doing tank transfer method.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Humblefish in the first post you say not to use Chloroquine Phosphate on wrasses.
I also have read some recommend to not use copper on wrasses.
What do you use on
Macropharyngodon meleagris ?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish in the first post you say not to use Chloroquine Phosphate on wrasses.
I also have read some recommend to not use copper on wrasses.
What do you use on
Macropharyngodon meleagris ?

I've successfully used CP on fairy/flasher wrasses, so has a LFS I advise. The problem I encountered was trying to use CP on Sixline & Melanurus wrasses, so I probably would be careful using CP on any wrasses that are the same genus as those two (Pseudocheilinus & Halichoeres, respectively).

I've never used CP or copper on a Leopard Wrasse. Last time I had one of those, I used TTM. However, a fellow local forum member (@vedros74) reported success using Copper Power on more than one Leopard, I believe.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully used CP on fairy/flasher wrasses, so has a LFS I advise. The problem I encountered was trying to use CP on Sixline & Melanurus wrasses, so I probably would be careful using CP on any wrasses that are the same genus as those two (Pseudocheilinus & Halichoeres, respectively).

I've never used CP or copper on a Leopard Wrasse. Last time I had one of those, I used TTM. However, a fellow local forum member (@vedros74) reported success using Copper Power on more than one Leopard, I believe.

I'll be trying copper power on my leopard wrasse starting tomorrow I believe and will report my results as well. Just to add a little more experience with this scenario

Emisis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently experimenting with a 10 day "treatment program" for QT. The QT is predosed with CP @ 40mg/gal before the fish ever goes in. This takes care of all external parasites (ich, velvet, brook, uronema). API General Cure (which contains powder prazi/metro for deworming) is dosed the same day the fish goes in (i.e. Day 1), and then again on Day 3, 8 & 10. Kanaplex is prophylactically dosed on Day 2, and again on Day 4 & 6 (only if symptoms of a bacterial infection are present.)

On Day 11 the fish is transferred into a non-medicated HT (at least 10 feet away from the original QT) for further observation. Like doing tank transfer method.

@Humblefish

How is this "experiment" going? Although it is in its (if I count correctly) transfer to a non-med tank stage. Also, will this transfer to this tank (non-med) be a remainder of a 30 day observation or shorter/ longer (30 days in this tank)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

How is this "experiment" going? Although it is in its (if I count correctly) transfer to a non-med tank stage. Also, will this transfer to this tank (non-med) be a remainder of a 30 day observation or shorter/ longer (30 days in this tank)

The below Tomini Tang with ich (notice the left pectoral fin) has completed the 10 day treatment and is now in a non-medicated holding tank. He will need to be observed for at least a month or two, under sometimes stressful conditions, before I am satisfied. I have successfully done this experiment on several other fish already, but this is the first tang. (Two tangs with velvet successfully completed the 10 day treatment, but they were given a FW dip & acriflavine bath prior. So, not a true test of just the 10 days.)

Hey humblefish did you ever get any results on the diatom filter for ich

That's next on my list. Trying to sell this tank so I have room to conduct the experiment: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/150-acrylic-for-sale.229763/

Wife says no new space can be taken up by tanks. ;)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the QT in the bedroom was the last straw. ;)

lol. Yes, I dont think i could have one in the bedroom. Like listening to a fountain all night.... I'd never get any sleep because of the constant trips to the bathroom!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had to buy a "white noise machine" for the bedroom just to cover up the sound of trickling water from the HOB. :p

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add from my experience that you can in fact run a skimmer during your CP treatment. I work at a public aquarium where I can test CP levels on a lab grade Hach. We do take carbon and ozone off line but skimmers don't seem to have any impact on the CP level at all. We test 2x a day during the treatment period.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add from my experience that you can in fact run a skimmer during your CP treatment. I work at a public aquarium where I can test CP levels on a lab grade Hach. We do take carbon and ozone off line but skimmers don't seem to have any impact on the CP level at all. We test 2x a day during the treatment period.

Would love to hear more about your experiences using CP.

What diseases do you use it to treat for? How long does CP last in the water before it begins to degrade? Can you use a UV to remove CP from the water?

Also, do you use any light on the QT when treating with CP?

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story. I went to four different vets today to see if I could get my hands on some CP this is how it went at all of them. I was armed with printouts of some of the articles linked in this forum.

Me: I was wondering if you could write me a script for CP
Them: Sorry we cant write scripts for animals we don't see.
Me: Its for Qt'ing fish so its a preventative and a cure for ich and other parasites.
Them: We don't see fish
Me: I kind of figured that , that's why I didn't bring my fish in. But I would still like a script for CP.
Them: Sorry we don't write scripts for animals we don't see........

Of course that conversation is abridged but I just thought it was pretty funny how I went in circles with every one of them. Finally I talked to one who (after I went in circles) actually read the articles I brought in and was going to do a little research to see the legalities of writing a script for an animal she hasn't seen. Said she would get back to me on Friday with an answer so hopefully I can get my hands on some for my medicine cabinet and my Qt tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back