Chloroquine phosphate

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, stay on it man. He needs a lot of help. Good job so far!

Yea he might be staying in the qt a little longer. unfortunately his buddy didn’t make it more than a day I got two at the same time which sucks but I’m gonna try and find another one next qt round.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am prepping my 20 gallon QT for 3 Psudanthias bicolor. I am concerned about Uronema and plan on a freshwater dip 1st. It it still not advised to use Chloroquine Phosphate with these fish? I have on hand Furan-2, Kanaplex, Focus, and Metroplex. I have Frozen Hikari mysis, cyclopeeze and LRS any other help is appreciated.

CP still not recommended for anthias, as far as I know. If you're concerned about uronema I'd probably medicate with Copper Power and Metroplex concurrently.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP still not recommended for anthias, as far as I know. If you're concerned about uronema I'd probably medicate with Copper Power and Metroplex concurrently.
Agree^^^

Use copper + metro for the first 10 days of your copper treatment to cover Uronema. You also need feed metro+focus soaked foods for 14 days in order to cover the internal component as well.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the follow-up protocol after the fish have been through 30/14 days of CP treatment? A couple rounds of GC to de-worm, then observation for an additional 2-3 weeks?

Thanks

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
so i got the Diamond back CP, but am having trouble measuring out 40mg/gallon. This comes out for me to be about 800mg, but my kitchen scale only measures full grams. the package comes with a "scoop= 1 gram' but when using the scale the scoop seems to come out closer to 2 grams. Should i trust the scoop?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
so i got the Diamond back CP, but am having trouble measuring out 40mg/gallon. This comes out for me to be about 800mg, but my kitchen scale only measures full grams. the package comes with a "scoop= 1 gram' but when using the scale the scoop seems to come out closer to 2 grams. Should i trust the scoop?
Spend a couple bucks and get a proper tool for the job. I've used it for multiple purposes outside of fish.

American Weigh Scales 100G X 0.01G Digital Scale, With Seaside 100 G Stainless Steel Calibration Weight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XWEAGRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FnIzCbYPTEQ4R

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium), Brooklynella hostilis & Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Chloroquine phosphate (CP) is a “new drug” that actually was widely used to control external protozoa in saltwater aquariums back in the 70s & 80s. It was even used in some aquarium medications sold at LFS. Nowadays CP requires a prescription to purchase legitimately, making it more difficult to obtain. Fast forward to today and thanks to the power of the Internet, CP has come roaring back! The biggest obstacle to overcome is obtaining pharmaceutical grade 99% pure CP. I cannot stress the importance of this enough. Do not buy it from some guy on eBay or even an online vendor. The only way to be sure you are getting 99% pure CP is to get your vet (or an MD) to write a prescription which can then be filled by a compounding pharmacy.

CP is a “one and done” medication, meaning you dose once and that’s it. There are no test kits for CP, so it’s important that you dose accurately using a digital scale. Also, don’t forget to dose any replacement water (from water changes, but not top-off) with CP. The dosage rates are as follows:
  • Prophylactic treatment is 40 mg per gallon.
  • For active infections (visible symptoms present), I typically will up the dosage to 60mg/gal. However, I cannot say if this is anymore effective than the "standard" 40mg/gal dose.
  • For Uronema marinum and really bad infestations, you can dose up to 80mg/gal. However, I have noticed appetite suppression and lethargy at this concentration. :oops:
As you can see, there is quite a bit of wiggle room between the minimum & maximum dosage. Practically speaking, 40mg/gal will treat all external protozoa issues… its just that the higher dosages may get the job done a little faster. Treatment lasts 30 consecutive days, and no carbon, UV, etc. may be used during this time (although it can be used later when you wish to remove the medication from the water.) A little quirk about CP is that light will degrade it; however it appears this mainly applies to the powder itself, so store your CP in a cool, dark place. Once in water, you may use an aquarium light with CP - however fish with velvet are light sensitive so I would only use ambient lighting (ex. lamp across the room) if treating for that. CP is NOT reef safe. In addition to killing your corals, it is a very strong algaecide.

Pros - Gentle on most fish (see DO NOT USE list below), a “one and done” medication that treats most external protozoa. CP is the closest thing there is to a “wonder drug” in our hobby.

Cons/Side Effects - Expensive, hard to get (requires a prescription), powder is heat & light sensitive - so store in a cool, dark place. Attempts to feed CP laced food are usually not successful due to its bad metallic taste.

** Based upon anecdotal experience (mine and others), DO NOT USE CP on Anthias, Wrasses or Hippo Tangs. For the time being, chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) is the best alternative to use on these species. **

** Finally, a place to buy Chloroquine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-place-to-buy-chloroquine.252610/ **

** Special thanks to @svogun for providing this link, which can be used to find aquatic vets in your area for sourcing CP: http://www.aquavetmed.info/ **
The link to aquavetmeds do not work ...

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are on day 10 of CP at 40mg/gal. Not detectable ammonia on badge. Doing large water changes every 5 days, while keeping CP concentration stable.

One fish has developed a very slightly cloudy eye, not swollen, very faint, but cloudy. Fish is eating and acting normal.

Do I:
  • wait to see if the eye gets worse or better in a couple days?
  • can I add Kanaplex to CP?
  • catch fish out and treat with Kanaplex?

Thanks for your option.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began quarentining a group of fish 3 weeks ago with chloroquine in a tank with live rock and sand.

Yesterday I did a simple test to see if the live rock had absorbed enough chloroquine to render it innefective: I placed an aiptasia in the tank. Today it was gone.

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was reading through this thread trying to find out if you are able to medicate with other things like prazipro with cp and I’m still unsure. Is this something that works together or should I just wait until the cp is done. Has anyone made a list of safe medications to use in conjunction with cp?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to use API General Cure which is Prazi & Metro and also Furan 2 with CP without any complications.

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would it be better to use general cure instead of prazipro. I did use furon 2 with it and that was fine.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard people using liquid Prazi with CP but there is usually a bacterial bloom that follows which you need to combat with heavy aeration so why not just use General Cure which also has the added benefit of Metro for the internal worms.

Back