Chloroquine phosphate

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard people using liquid Prazi with CP but there is usually a bacterial bloom that follows which you need to combat with heavy aeration so why not just use General Cure which also has the added benefit of Metro for the internal worms.

The bacterial bloom you can get with liquid Prazi Pro is due to the alcohol carrier that is used to dissolve the praziquantel. That alcohol that gets into your tank can then act like a one-shot carbon dosing.

I've also used GC with CP without problem. Combining any medications is best done in the presence of strong aeration.

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big air stone and powerheads agitating the surface. Just ordered some gc on amazon. I’m on day 3 of cp treatment and my Achilles is showing very light ich infection which just started showing today. I dosed 50 mg in-between the 40 mg and 60 Should I kick up the dosage ?

Goth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

I am currently experimenting with a 10 day "treatment program" for QT. The QT is predosed with CP @ 40mg/gal before the fish ever goes in. This takes care of all external parasites (ich, velvet, brook, uronema). API General Cure (which contains powder prazi/metro for deworming) is dosed the same day the fish goes in (i.e. Day 1), and then again on Day 3, 8 & 10. Kanaplex is prophylactically dosed on Day 2, and again on Day 4 & 6 (only if symptoms of a bacterial infection are present.)

On Day 11 the fish is transferred into a non-medicated HT (at least 10 feet away from the original QT) for further observation. Like doing tank transfer method.

Is this 10 day treatment program still recommended? Did you make any changes to it since this was posted?

Thank you!

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish, This may have been addressed previously but I can’t seem to find the info. How do you deal with ammonia build up while the CP is in the tank for 30 days? With the biological filter gone, shouldn’t it climb fast?

I generally do not lose the biofilter with chloroquine. Also, you can do water changes, just add the chloroquine to the new water. If you run on the recommended dose it can usually be doubled. For instance, I get the powder off of ebay, it suggests 40 mg/gallon for QT, but if disease is present it can go to 80. I err a little high expecting some loss over time. If you are really worried just do a near complete change and dose it normally. QTs are normally low volume so a major change is not generally a huge deal.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated 4 different types of leopard wrasses and made it out to the other side, but others have not been so fortunate. CP and wrasses just seems to be spotty. It really has not worked out by the numbers for me with fairy wrasses and CP, so I only use copper for them now.

I am unclear on this also. I have only had 2 wrasses and both were flasher wrasses. Both survived chloroquine but the one did act funny towards the end of the first run following prazi and recovered by the end of the 2nd round. It is unclear to me how similar flashers are to fairies and when I have heard wrasses being listed as unsafe it was generally the fairy wrasses. I have never heard an explanation as to why this sensitivity exists.

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone found a good source to use for CP? Sounds like it would be better than using all of these other items.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone found a good source to use for CP? Sounds like it would be better than using all of these other items.

Check ebay, I would send the link if I had it handy. No prescription needed. Comes in a little plastic bag with a black label and red writing.

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I have all of the recommended meds arriving today to setup my first QT. I also have CP arriving Monday. Thinking I will try to go the CP route and only use copper if needed.

So now just need to figure out doses and how many days in first tank. Then process for the 2nd tank.

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after rereading 60 pages between here and the other current QT process. Looks like if I use copper I can do the 14 days then move to tank 2. However if I use this CP med then I have to do the full 30 days in tank one. Guessing you can during this time feed medicated foods for internal while doing CP. So after the 30 days your ready to go into display tank. So my second tank at this point would not be used. Or I turn it into an extra QT so I can do more fish at the same time both running the 30 days of CP.

Does this sound correct?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally do not lose the biofilter with chloroquine. Also, you can do water changes, just add the chloroquine to the new water. If you run on the recommended dose it can usually be doubled. For instance, I get the powder off of ebay, it suggests 40 mg/gallon for QT, but if disease is present it can go to 80. I err a little high expecting some loss over time. If you are really worried just do a near complete change and dose it normally. QTs are normally low volume so a major change is not generally a huge deal.

I get CP from a pharmacy and have noticed it wiping out the complete biological filter. I have run it half a dozen times at this point. CP is very strong and feel 40mg/gallon is ample for treating parasites. I have introduced fish with velvet and within 5 days they were parasite free. When you get to 80mg/gallon I have noticed fish stop eating and become very lethargic.

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get CP from a pharmacy and have noticed it wiping out the complete biological filter. I have run it half a dozen times at this point. CP is very strong and feel 40mg/gallon is ample for treating parasites. I have introduced fish with velvet and within 5 days they were parasite free. When you get to 80mg/gallon I have noticed fish stop eating and become very lethargic.

So tell me your process please? You do 30 days of CP?

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while ago i used cp at 40mg/g on
Chelmon marginalis
Royal gramma
Chalk bass
5 lyretail anthias
Mccosker wrasse

Only 1 anthia died on day 6 the rest went through

The thing i noticed is as soon as i added cp, anthias stopped eating.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone confirmed that CP is an effective treatment for Brooklynella?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone confirmed that CP is an effective treatment for Brooklynella?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the 31st will be 14 days in CP...this being not just my first QT but also first time using CP.

So once I move them to tank two what should I treat for? I assume internal parasites/disease.

I have the following on hand.

Furan 2

General Cure

MetroPlex

Focus

KanaPlex

ParaGuard

Praziquantel Powder

Methylene Blue

PraziPro liquid

I dont want to mess this up so advice appreciated.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the 31st will be 14 days in CP...this being not just my first QT but also first time using CP.

So once I move them to tank two what should I treat for? I assume internal parasites/disease.

I have the following on hand.

Furan 2

General Cure

MetroPlex

Focus

KanaPlex

ParaGuard

Praziquantel Powder

Methylene Blue

PraziPro liquid

I dont want to mess this up so advice appreciated.
I put the CP in on day one. After a few days, I put in dose 1 of GC. After a week, I put in dose 2 of CP. If everything is doing well I let them go for the 30 days. If they are struggling I pull the plug after 20 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back