Chloroquine phosphate

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started treatment in my qt for my new fish after observation for about two weeks. I did not observe any parasites or anything and decided to run them through a light treatment at the 40mg dosage. But now I believe my butterfly may have developed possible flukes?. I read that praziquantel is safe to use with cp so i am running the two together. My question is can you use other medications like furon-2 with cp in the event I also get a secondary bacterial infection during treatment.

All fish are still eating assorted pellets, seaweed and meaty foods soaked with kanaplex, sulfaplex, metroplex and focus.

Here’s a picture

57F9C015-2C80-43D9-98CB-AF76CAEF25AD.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started treatment in my qt for my new fish after observation for about two weeks. I did not observe any parasites or anything and decided to run them through a light treatment at the 40mg dosage. But now I believe my butterfly may have developed possible flukes?. I read that praziquantel is safe to use with cp so i am running the two together. My question is can you use other medications like furon-2 with cp in the event I also get a secondary bacterial infection during treatment.

All fish are still eating assorted pellets, seaweed and meaty foods soaked with kanaplex, sulfaplex, metroplex and focus.

Here’s a picture

If try a freshwater dip in a dark bucket first, if you see white sesame seed looking things fall off, proceed with GC

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’m just waiting for some r/o water but I have the cp and the prazi in the qt already sorry i wasn’t able to get too good of a picture he kept moving lol

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting in regards to the biodegradation of CP with a bio filter, has there been any more information whether lighting also affects CP?

Jeffmlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t read the whole thread yet, but was wondering if there are any vets among us that could help with prescriptions, my daughter works for a vet and he wouldn’t write me one.

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How important is matching the ph. I don’t have anything to raise the ph in the fw. Also the fish is eating well and it seems the prazi might have killed off most of whatever it was. I’m still going to do the fw dip.

Squirt a little saltwater into the FW dip container. ;)

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you . Unfortunately I don’t have time to try and catch him tonight. I work overnights so I’ll do it when I get home

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanna make a note here. I have not been successful at treating Uronema with Chloroquine Phosphate. It will not kill the internal parasites.

With just about everything else it appears to be a miracle drug.

Jurgen Frenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium), Brooklynella hostilis & Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Chloroquine phosphate (CP) is a “new drug” that actually was widely used to control external protozoa in saltwater aquariums back in the 70s & 80s. It was even used in some aquarium medications sold at LFS. Nowadays CP requires a prescription to purchase legitimately, making it more difficult to obtain. Fast forward to today and thanks to the power of the Internet, CP has come roaring back! The biggest obstacle to overcome is obtaining pharmaceutical grade 99% pure CP. I cannot stress the importance of this enough. Do not buy it from some guy on eBay or even an online vendor. The only way to be sure you are getting 99% pure CP is to get your vet (or an MD) to write a prescription which can then be filled by a compounding pharmacy.

CP is a “one and done” medication, meaning you dose once and that’s it. There are no test kits for CP, so it’s important that you dose accurately using a digital scale. Also, don’t forget to dose any replacement water (from water changes, but not top-off) with CP. The dosage rates are as follows:
  • Prophylactic treatment is 40 mg per gallon.
  • For active infections (visible symptoms present), I typically will up the dosage to 60mg/gal. However, I cannot say if this is anymore effective than the "standard" 40mg/gal dose.
  • For Uronema marinum and really bad infestations, you can dose up to 80mg/gal. However, I have noticed appetite suppression and lethargy at this concentration. :oops:
As you can see, there is quite a bit of wiggle room between the minimum & maximum dosage. Practically speaking, 40mg/gal will treat all external protozoa issues… its just that the higher dosages may get the job done a little faster. Treatment lasts 30 consecutive days, and no carbon, UV, etc. may be used during this time (although it can be used later when you wish to remove the medication from the water.) A little quirk about CP is that light will degrade it; however it appears this mainly applies to the powder itself, so store your CP in a cool, dark place. Once in water, you may use an aquarium light with CP - however fish with velvet are light sensitive so I would only use ambient lighting (ex. lamp across the room) if treating for that. CP is NOT reef safe. In addition to killing your corals, it is a very strong algaecide.

Pros - Gentle on most fish (see DO NOT USE list below), a “one and done” medication that treats most external protozoa. CP is the closest thing there is to a “wonder drug” in our hobby.

Cons/Side Effects - Expensive, hard to get (requires a prescription), powder is heat & light sensitive - so store in a cool, dark place. Attempts to feed CP laced food are usually not successful due to its bad metallic taste.

** Based upon anecdotal experience (mine and others), DO NOT USE CP on Anthias, Wrasses or Hippo Tangs. For the time being, chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) is the best alternative to use on these species. **

** Finally, a place to buy Chloroquine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-place-to-buy-chloroquine.252610/ **

** Special thanks to @svogun for providing this link, which can be used to find aquatic vets in your area for sourcing CP: http://www.aquavetmed.info/ **
Can a Bicolor fox face tolerate CP? I know Magnificent Foxface die from it based on my last two experiences with them.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a Bicolor fox face tolerate CP? I know Magnificent Foxface die from it based on my last two experiences with them.

I've treated numerous rabbitfish with CP (including both Magnificent and Bicolor) without any issues.

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m coming to the end of my treatment period. I have not noticed any visible signs of any parasites. I have to treat a minor bacterial infection on the butterfly but when the treatment is finished should I slowly remove the medication from the qt then move the fish or just move them to my display tank. All water parameters are the same in both tanks

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also should I bother to treat for anything else other then what cp treats for or should that be good. None of the fish are showing any type of distress or symtoms other then the minor bacterial infection on the butterfly.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s a picture

That is the best picture of Flukes I've ever seen. :eek::p

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am prepping my 20 gallon QT for 3 Psudanthias bicolor. I am concerned about Uronema and plan on a freshwater dip 1st. It it still not advised to use Chloroquine Phosphate with these fish? I have on hand Furan-2, Kanaplex, Focus, and Metroplex. I have Frozen Hikari mysis, cyclopeeze and LRS any other help is appreciated.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back