Chloroquine phosphate

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, Hydroxychloroquine has not worked for me for some reason. :confused: It failed to eradicate velvet on two separate occasions.

Old post, was curious if you could elaborate on your own experience. I found an Advanced Aquarist article that stated a source of efficacious chloroquine is plaquenil, but no experiences were reported.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish - I used the CP 60mg / gallon treatment level and kept all fish in quarantine for 21 days. Unfortunately, I did not eradicate the ich, it returned within 5 days of observation. I believe the chloroquine broke down as green algae was starting to form in the QT when I removed them. I setup a new sterile QT and moved to 80mg / gallon. I want to transfer my fish from the CP QT at the 14 day mark and move to TTM to be sure I am in the clear this time. How long should I follow the TTM method if I started with CP? Through to the end or is this a bad idea? Thanks.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
There are 84 pages on CP, and I dont want to skim all of them. I am looking for CP but cannot find any. IS there any out there for sale? Thanks!

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
There are 84 pages on CP, and I dont want to skim all of them. I am looking for CP but cannot find any. IS there any out there for sale? Thanks!

I believe you will have a hard time finding CP right now. The most well known seller on ebay ran out of supply and this thread recommends having a vet prescribe it for you to ensure the proper purity for treatment. With the current situation, I'm not sure if you will be able to find someone to do that for you or not. Good luck.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I wanted to know if i can dose CP into my clownfish breeding tank.. it is 7 chambered and has 7 pairs of clownfish. Some of them are showing signs of lethargy and even though I have dipped them in FW and even formalin, they still dont look right. I treated them in the tank with Prazi and a cupramine. They did not eat much. I have since removed those meds. They are eating very little now.

My water is stable. o ammonia 0 nitrite and about 20 nitrates.

I am able to get my hands on about 20 grams of CP... I wanted to dose the entire tank to make sure its clear. I dont have a large enough qt right now and there are multiple clowns that possibly need treatment.

I have rocks in my sump. Just rocks ...
I know it might get absorbed but can I dose CP for a short time? Like a week or 2? I do water changes 3 x week. none of my clowns are laying eggs or even thinking about it.

A month ago, I added a pair of clowns that came in with something... and I thought they were ok to add to the tank. I should have qtd that pair.

I no longer have those clowns but they were in this tank and also my 40 gallon breeder. They were most definitely suffering from something.

I know CP is a one and done drug, and I would like to use it to clear the tank of anything that maybe causing this ailment.

Let me know thanks

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME when you dose CP into a tank that has rock and or sand (biological media), the CP is readily absorbed or degraded. I recently tried to treat a display where all the corals were removed and I have to say it was an epic failure. I ended up doing 7 full 40mg per gallon doses during a 3 month period because every time I would see telltale signs of the medication not effective due to algae growth and parasitic symptoms on the the fish. Mind you I was also doing the daily suggested maintenance dose of 10% besides the additional full doses.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help if you were able to better understand what you think the clowns have to ensure that CP is the right medication to use. If it is ich, velvet, or brook, the fish will have to be transferred at the completion of the treatment and the tank will either have to be broken down and sterilized or fallow for 76 days, otherwise those will just come back. This hobby can be brutal on mistakes made before having a complete understanding of the risks involved. I have learned this the hard way myself over the last 73 days and I have lost some great fish in the process.

A couple of things about treating with CP from my experience. There are others here that are more expert at this. If you do treat your tank where the clowns are, and it's not recommended, the biological filter will break down the CP over time as @pecan2phat mentioned. I would say you should use 60mg/gallon and you would need to add at least 10mg/gallon a week and I would stop at 14 days. The amount to add is tricky since you can't test for CP levels like copper. I had to treat CP twice for my case because I went 21 days and the CP dropped below therapeutic levels because I did not add enough per day/week to make up for it. When algae growth is observed, it's too late. The lights have to remain off during the treatment since CP is also sensitive to light. I would not do any water changes for the 14 days of treatment if it were me.

I would recommend the 60mg/gallon treatment level if going forward with CP. For my second treatment I went with 80mg/gallon because I was not sure of the purity and I lost a clownfish at the high level within 48 hours.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading that lights on are fine it’s just light exposure to the medication itself before dosing in the water

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to try it in a biologically established tank, I would go with 65g x 60mg per gallon totaling 3900mg of CP and 390mg daily. Just make sure all your carbon/gfo reactors are off, skimmer, UV, ozone and any polyfilters also.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you need to dose the 10% or 6mg daily in addition to the initial full dose due to the degrading of the medication from the biological environment in an established system. Humblefish's recommendation was 4mg daily as a maintenance dose but I think it's low.
If you delve into Humblefish's posting, the recommended method for a DT is 40mg per gallon on day one and again on day two so that is 80mg total over 2 days in addition to 4mg daily afterwards. It's a lot of CP to go through so make sure you have enough on hand.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I removed sock carbon uv and took skimmer cup off. Dosed my first dose. Let’s see how things work

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last item to watch out for.
If you have a tank with medium to high amounts of algae, you will get an ammonia spike from the die off so be ready for that, it can kill your fish.
Seachem Prime is good to have on hand for this and you need to dose it everyday until the ammonia drops off if you come into this problem.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard different stories that the tablets don’t have as much actual CP due to the binders used. But I know pharmacists that have said the actual CP is what’s listed. I think best way is to weigh the tablet. If it’s over 250 mg then the over is most likely the binder and the actual CP is 250.

Back