Chloroquine phosphate

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hippo will not survive CP
Hippo's become very lethargic and deteriorate quickly in CP. With Hippos and wrasses copper might be a better option. There is also a hydrogen peroxide treatment being discussed but I have no experience with that.

OP
Humblefish

Humblefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Hippo's become very lethargic and deteriorate quickly in CP. With Hippos and wrasses copper might be a better option. There is also a hydrogen peroxide treatment being discussed but I have no experience with that.
I have found that it is possible to treat Chloroquine sensitive species (e.g. Hippo Tangs, Anthias, Paracheilinus + Pseudocheilinus Wrasses), but you have to do two things differently:
  1. Precondition them (feed often) in a non-medicated environment for at least 2 weeks. They cannot tolerate just going straight into CP from the wholesalers.
  2. Treat at 20-40mg/gal for 10 days and then transfer into another tank. This skirts the minimum therapeutic level for CP (20mg/gal) dangerously close, so observation afterwards in a non-medicated aquarium is required to ensure treatment was successful.
The above is a PITA (but still doable) for hobbyists; however it is not practical when selling on a commercial level IME.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have found that it is possible to treat Chloroquine sensitive species (e.g. Hippo Tangs, Anthias, Paracheilinus + Pseudocheilinus Wrasses), but you have to do two things differently:
  1. Precondition them (feed often) in a non-medicated environment for at least 2 weeks. They cannot tolerate just going straight into CP from the wholesalers.
  2. Treat at 20-40mg/gal for 10 days and then transfer into another tank. This skirts the minimum therapeutic level for CP (20mg/gal) dangerously close, so observation afterwards in a non-medicated aquarium is required to ensure treatment was successful.
The above is a PITA (but still doable) for hobbyists; however it is not practical when selling on a commercial level IME.
It seems like it is possible. I usually treat straight on delivery of the fish, which may explain the quick deterioration of Hippos.. Hublefish is there a new peroxide treatment that can be done rather than CP for these more sensitive fish?

OP
Humblefish

Humblefish

View Badges
Reaction score
It seems like it is possible. I usually treat straight on delivery of the fish, which may explain the quick deterioration of Hippos.. Hublefish is there a new peroxide treatment that can be done rather than CP for these more sensitive fish?
A single 30 min, 150ppm H2O2 bath takes care of most problems: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydrogen-peroxide.640232/

This is more thorough: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hybrid-ttm-to-treat-all-parasites.640247/

Post bath (or TTM) you'll want to observe with black mollies alongside: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-molly-quarantine.640235/

In additional to external pathogens, you'll want to watch closely for internal flagellates/intestinal worms (white stringy poop) which H2O2 does not treat.

Onajoyride

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and help. I have decided to do another round of copper power instead of cp. I thought it was ich but turns out it's the quicker variety of velvet. Purple tang had 2 spits in the am and when I got home from work and checked in on them the purple was covered. So I did the treatment protocol from humble and the spots are going away and it's back to eating. Looks like I will do a full 30 days instead of the 15 I tried.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Onajoyride

View Badges
Reaction score
One quick note is to keep the amonia down I was using aqueon amonia absorption pads. It never occurred to me the sulfer base in those could react with the copper and potentially cause toxicity issues. I removed the pad and grabbed fresh sponges from my sump as well as a massive water change in case the water was not ideal.

Am I correct in assuming the water quality needs to be pristine for the first few days after the velvet falls off the fish to help combat secondary infections or is there an additive I can put in. I am using copper power dosing to 2.0ppm.

JustGetACat

View Badges
Reaction score
I've noticed that the powder form of CP is getting harder to find, and many pharmacies are wanting to substitute it with CP tablets. The tablets are fine to use, but the downside is you get less "chloroquine base" out of them so you must dose more (which becomes more expensive). The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:
Currently dosing my Sailfin Tang with pharmaceutical CP (500mg) tablets. The comment stated in this thread suggested that a 250mg CP tablet would only have ~130mg pure CP. WRONG. I asked the pharmacist and they told me that a 500mg pill of CP would have 500mg of CP, and probably ~200mg of binders. I confirmed this by weighing each pill on a scale that weights to 0.001 (weights to mg) and each pill weighed almost exactly 700mg. I hope no one has taken that comment to heart like I almost did, as it would have led to some unsuccessful attempts at curing velvet with CP because you'd be wayyyyyy under dosing.

GoldeneyeRet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Currently dosing my Sailfin Tang with pharmaceutical CP (500mg) tablets. The comment stated in this thread suggested that a 250mg CP tablet would only have ~130mg pure CP. WRONG. I asked the pharmacist and they told me that a 500mg pill of CP would have 500mg of CP, and probably ~200mg of binders. I confirmed this by weighing each pill on a scale that weights to 0.001 (weights to mg) and each pill weighed almost exactly 700mg. I hope no one has taken that comment to heart like I almost did, as it would have led to some unsuccessful attempts at curing velvet with CP because you'd be wayyyyyy under dosing.
Wouldnt that lead to an overdose rather than under dose ?

JustGetACat

View Badges
Reaction score
Wouldnt that lead to an overdose rather than under dose ?
It would if you didn't take the ~200mg of filler into consideration. That's why it is still necessary to weigh the pills, so you need a 0.001 scale (cheap on Amazon). Because if the pill is labeled as 500mg, and you weight 700mg, you KNOW that 200mg is filler. But if I had thought a 250mg pill was only 130mg of CP, and then weighed the pill and it was say...300mg, then I would be way under-dosing. But that's only an issue when you're weighing the powdered medicine. That's why when I dosed I just make a stock solution of the dissolved medicine in some RO water and that way I just knew each ml has however many mg of CP, depending of course on however large I made my stock solution. FYI make a relatively large stock solution. I had 20 500mg pills and made 1 litre out of it and it did not dissolve too well. I would make it larger in the future.
In short....whatever mg of medicine a pill is labeled for, that's how much medicine is in it. 500mg pill = 500mg of CP. But the pill itself will weigh more, for the fillers.

OP
Humblefish

Humblefish

View Badges
Reaction score
The information I quoted was taken from Bob Goemans online book, The Living Aquarium Manual. Which also states: "Although the purity mentioned above is generally accurate, it would be best to verify the chloroquine base contained in the tablets of your choice in order to be able to properly calculate the exact dosage." So, one should always verify the chloroquine base from the pharmacist/vendor and dose accordingly.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 334 61.2%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 135 24.7%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 84 15.4%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 360 65.9%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 54 9.9%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 356 65.2%