Chocolate Chip Star Fish

liaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had my chocolate chip star fish for about a week and he has been super active up until the past 2 days and I noticed he has this orange stuff hanging out of him
Now the lady at the pet store I got him from said I don’t have to feed him anything special he will just sift through the sand and eat algae off the glass then I researched he is a meat eater so I went and got him clams
Does he have a chance at surviving ?
water parameters are great and the temp is great and salinity is perfect

OP
OP
L

liaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the pics of him

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    25.9 MB
  • CB7F6CCF-05C0-4664-83F7-7ABA402865B3.jpeg
    CB7F6CCF-05C0-4664-83F7-7ABA402865B3.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 136

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I'm not sure about the starfish, but we're glad you're here!

Clownfish.gif

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello There GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Welcome to Reef2Reef! You'll love it here!

I'll start by asking how old your tank is. Majority of sea stars sift through the sandbed and eat microorganisms such as copepods, which new tanks have a very little amount of. Mature tanks are often better for starfish simply because any food populations take time to establish. Chocolate chip stars, like any star, will always benefit from being fed meaty foods. Without proper food, stars slowly deteriorate and perish.

Starfish are also extremely sensitive creatures. They need perfect and stable parameters. In a new tank, this is hard to achieve. Could you post your ammonia, nitrates, etc.?

How did you acclimate the star? Many reefers lose their starfish due to poor acclimation.

In short, starfish unfortunately don't survive long in new reefs, and require a certain amount of care and expertise to thrive. I believe any one of the above reasons could be why your starfish is doing poorly, but hopefully things turn around for it.

Last edited:

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your chocolate chip starfish seems fine to me. It seems like the orange material is just excrement. When you have to worry is when the body turns white and starts to decompose, by that time unfortunately it is too late. I love starfish, I keep a variety of brittle stars, orange and purple linkias, and have tried every species out there. Obviously acclimation is the most delicate part of introducing a starfish into your tank, a slow drip over several hours is best. Once thing I would like to share with you is Protoreaster species are voracious eaters. They do scavenge the tank but that is not enough. I place clams on the half shell on the sand and place the starfish on top to eat. You will be amazed how much some starfish need to eat, especially Protoreaster and Brittle star/ Serpent star species.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture of the orange stuff may be its stomach but does not appear to be it, and I haven't been able to witness mine go to the bathroom so I am not sure what is happening. I have had an orange chocolate chip starfish for about 2-3 weeks now and their care is pretty basic. I give mine a chunk of LRS sometimes a small clam every couple of days and nori. I would take it back to the store because they can get to a foot long and do not favor newer tanks.

OP
OP
L

liaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture of the orange stuff may be its stomach but does not appear to be it, and I haven't been able to witness mine go to the bathroom so I am not sure what is happening. I have had an orange chocolate chip starfish for about 2-3 weeks now and their care is pretty basic. I give mine a chunk of LRS sometimes a small clam every couple of days and nori. I would take it back to the store because they can get to a foot long and do not favor newer tanks.
The store I get them from do know guarantee anything salt water fish or marine life they will not take them back

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%

Back