Choosing an LFS or "Local Fish Store"

R2R Articles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Choosing an LFS or "Local Fish Store"

One of the first things that new members of the forum will learn is that we generally advise new aquarists not to rely solely on what their LFS* tells them.

Note: LFS is a reef acronym for "local fish store" or the store where you can buy aquarium supplies for your saltwater tank. Sometimes these stores carry more than just aquarium supplies, but that's what LFS refers to.

The reason we say this is because there is such a wide range in the expertise of those working in these stores. And not just a wide range of expertise, but also a wide range in integrity and honesty. And I'm not singling out LFS; I believe the exact same thing applies to those in any profession, like doctors, lawyers, plumbers, or electricians.

Some really know their stuff and really care about the customer. Some...not so much. Remember, the LFS is running a business, and the business won't last long if they don't sell things. So, the naive shopper/aquarist can often wind up buying equipment that's not appropriate or more than they need or more expensive than they need.

So, if you're new to this saltwater aquarium world, we always recommend that you try to learn as much as you can before you start buying equipment, and especially livestock.

For inspiration, a wild and woolly anemone taking over the world.
r2rleadfooted.jpeg

Photo is from the Reef2Reef archives courtesy of @Leadfooted ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

And how pray tell can you learn before going to an LFS?

1. You join this forum and start asking questions. Lots of questions. All questions are welcome and you won't get any snarky replies. We don't allow it here.

2. You read as much as you can. That might mean going to the library or reading articles online. Read things like Reefkeeping Magazine or WetWebMedia both found online. Read books, like the ones that I review for Reef2Reef, like this one by Martin Moe, a famous name in saltwater aquarium circles.

3. Go to the LFS and don't buy anything. Leave your wallet at home. Take a notebook and take notes. Later in the article, I'll tell you what to look for. You will see things that you can later research.

4. Join a local aquarium club--yes, even if you don't have an aquarium--and start going to meetings. You will learn an enormous amount even if you don't understand everything.

When you first start learning about saltwater aquariums, even if you have some freshwater aquarium experience, you'll feel like you've walked into the middle of movie in a foreign language. There is a lot that you won't understand. And that's okay. It's to be expected.

The more you read and ask questions, the more you will begin to understand. We recommend that you don't start buying equipment until two things are true: 1) you have at least the beginnings of an understanding of how the saltwater aquarium works, and 2) you have some idea what you would to have in your tank.

This is because different types of livestock can require very different conditions and very different equipment. Certain types of coral need very high light. Some types of coral need very high flow rates around the tank. Some fish need a much bigger tank than others.

So, let's say, for the sake of discussion, you now have an idea how this thing works and an idea what you want in your tank.

For inspiration, a clownfish hanging out in an anemone.
r2reagleusteve.jpeg

Photo is from the Reef2Reef archives courtesy of @Eagle_Steve ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Then how do you choose the LFS you want to deal with?

Well, if you live in or near a big city, you may have the luxury of several to choose from. That's the ideal. If you live in a small town, you may have nothing close by to choose from, and you may end up doing most or all of your purchases online.

1. Look around. And take in a first impression. Sometimes our first impressions can be misleading, but I like to go with my gut. Does the place look clean? Is it well lit? Are there any "show" tanks or healthy mature reef tanks for you to OOH and AAH over?

2. Ask a question, in person or by email. Are they responsive? Emails should be answered within 24 hours. That's Marketing 101. If they don't answer their emails, they may be disorganized or understaffed or maybe the customer doesn't come first. If you ask a question in the store, do you get an intelligent answer? or a blank look and a "I dunno." An answer like, "I'm not sure, but let me find out for you" sounds much better.

3. I'd also recommend asking a question that has an open-ended answer just to see what they say. For example, ask, "how much flow do you think I will need in a tank with only soft corals?" Then you take note of what they said, and verify by asking some of your more experienced aquarists, like on here in the forum. I would probably do this a few times before actually relying on what the LFS tells me.

4. Look closely at the tanks and their inhabitants. Do the tanks look clean? How about the fish? Do they look healthy? Are they alive? I'm not kidding. I've seen dead fish in tanks. Do the fish appear to swim normally? Do they have any telltale spots or injuries or frayed fins which indicate sickness or trauma?

Now it's possible that an LFS received fish in that condition, and it's not their fault. But if that's the case, the fish should be in a hospital tank receiving medication, not mixed with a bunch of other healthy fish.

Also, check (or ask) and see if the tanks are all plumbed together. The reason why this is important is that sick fish or fish that just arrived should be isolated from other fish. If everyone's water is circulating together, then there's a good chance that any diseases affecting one or more fish will soon be affecting all of them.

5. See what they have on the shelves. Do they have a big selection of food, for example, at different price points? Are they willing to order something for you if they don't carry what you want? What you're trying to get a feel for is what the people working at this LFS will be like to deal with. If you feel like they're talking down to you or treating you like you have L-O-S-E-R painted on your forehead, then it's time to move on to the next LFS.

6. Ask people in your local aquarium club which LFS they like and trust. If you scroll down under "Forums" we have a section where you can connect with some folks from your area. There's a big section for the US, and then a Global section for those outside of the US. See the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 12.43.55 PM.png

Screenshot courtesy of @Seawitch ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

If you are lucky enough to have several LFS in your area, then I would visit them one by one and take notes. Some LFS's are great and have great people working there. And after talking to several and comparing notes with other aquarists in your area, you may find a good match.

But remember, you're not married to your LFS. If you do business with them for a while and aren't satisfied, you can always change to a different one later on. Also, as you become more experienced and discerning, you may notice things that you didn't notice earlier on. For example, one LFS might have a great selection of coral frags, but very few fish. Another might have pristine fish but very little coral.

These are some points that you will be in a better position to judge after you get your tank up and running. As you start on your reefkeeping journey, I offer a couple of closing bits of advice.

1. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Any questions.

2. And don't be in a hurry. As the old adage goes, "nothing good happens in a hurry in reefkeeping."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: Cynthia White

Cynthia received her BA in English from NYU a long long time ago. She has been a freelance writer and editor for over 20 years. Now she is a writer and editor on staff at R2R, where her forum nickname is @Seawitch. She lives in a small town, and the good LFS are a day's travel away from her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All good recommendations - thank you for another great article @Seawitch! This guidance should be a baseline for entry for an LFS, but unfortunately I walk into way too many stores locally and as I travel that don't meet these expectations laid out in this article. Hopefully there will be a follow up article on what to do if you don't have an LFS or if the LFS in your area don't meet these basic standards.

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pointers and all stuff I naturally gravitated to. And during times where I wanted to see what else was around I checked 2 or 3 other locations and they weren't up to snuff for me in terms of the store I normally go to, found some others through the forum that when I get the chance when I'm back home I'm going to check out

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! The LFS near me is unfortunately not good at all and doesn't hit most of these points. I would love a follow up article about finding online vendors and what to look for. That has been a challenge for me as there are mixed reviews for almost anything in this hobby.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice! Some, dare I say most, of the LFS's here in Australia are very ordinary. I tell my little kids the fish are sleeping when we frequently come across dead or almost dead fish. These days I only look at the coral tanks, it's too depressing.

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article!
While it is possible to order everything online these days, having the option to shop in person definitely has merits. Especially if you are like me and work from home, going to my LFS is a nice change of pace that gets me out of the house...haha

We are fortunate to live in the greater Tampa, FL area (Palm Harbor to be exact). Our choices for LFS's are almost endless.

And they are not all created equally. That is one of the cool things about visiting in person. I found that each LFS sort of specializes in certain areas, one will be mainly corals, one will be mainly fish, and another might be a unique mix of hard to find inhabitants. If you have the time, something my wife and I like to do is ask the same question at different stores, and even of different people in the same store. You might be surprised at how many different answers you get... And yes, reef2reef is a great place to ask questions and read about others' experiences.

Happy reefing!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean is king. In the Phoenix metro area we are blessed with 12-15 stores. I have visited nearly everyone. I can say that first impressions are a big deal. A couple stores where absolute disaster areas. One smelled horrible of rat, gerbil, ginny pig urine. A few were in need to purge ancient inventory. Of course a couple of these less than stellar stores also had dead livestock in the tanks. Fortunately, there were some that absolutely stood out as superior, clean, healthy looking stock and staff that was helpful. It’s not tough to pick a LFS when some just are great and some are absolutely terrible.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the LFS in the Southern California area, I chose mine based on many of your points. The biggest was the display tanks. They had several great display tanks. After that was how the staff spoke to me. Easy going and honest. Their philosophy was simple, “we want you to come back, not just buy once. We want you to be happy and trust us.” It worked. I think I’ve put at least one of his kids through a semester or two of college.

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! The LFS near me is unfortunately not good at all and doesn't hit most of these points. I would love a follow up article about finding online vendors and what to look for. That has been a challenge for me as there are mixed reviews for almost anything in this hobby.
I agree. I’m in nowhere Nebraska and the nearest place I’ve found anything saltwater is 2.5 hours away at a Petco and they know nothing!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back