Chop shops bad for the hobby?

I'm in Australia, so we dont see this as much here with SPS (although there are a few...)
Mostly see it with Goni and other soft coral's.

I can buy wild colony's for around $40 AUD, there is no way you can chop them up and sell straight away though, I have found they take 3-6 months at least to colour back up.

It is fun rolling the dice with them to see if you get some great colours, I have had some that have come in brown and turned out amazing! (Wont spam this post with pics though).

One thing I do though, is take a couple of frags of each colony when putting them in, as the frags will colour up faster. I don't sell these though unless they fully colour up and completely encrust themselves onto the plug (and even then I only sell to local reefing buddies, or swap for other coral :-) )
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 36 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new