OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to read about the sargassum and venustus. both are very nice looking fish.

the only thing i can suggest is to QT fish, especially angels. i do 2 treatments of prazi pro with every fish i get. angels are notorious for carrying flukes and worms.

Yeah I know and understand the risks of not QTing.... but honestly I do not think QT would have saved either fish, and I dont feel the deaths were at all related in cause. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just realized its been forever since I have done any updates on this thread....

I still haven't gotten around to figuring out the trim around the tank and what I want to do with it, but will be soon as we will be having my son's 1st birthday party here very soon!

I added 5 Bartlett Anthias the other day that I got a good deal on from my LFS (Reef Paradise in Flint,MI)... But my Blue Throat Trigger decided to make a lunch out of 2 of them, so I broke the entire tank down, pulled him, my flame (who decided to jump and dry out from his temp. holding spot :( ) large cinnamon clown, and 4 stripe damsel so I can go a different lss aggressive, more active and colorful direction (hence the Bartlett Anthias).

I rescaped the tank after said break down (I need to get pics, but battling an algae issue that began when I switched from tap to RO/DI so it might be a little bit)....

And I have 2 potters leopard wrasses on hold at my LFS until monday (they came in yesterday, came out of the sand today and instead of rushing it to make a sale, they are holding them and letting them settle down instead of rushing them and stressing them even more then they probably already are!

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really digging my new potters wrasse pair:

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

I picked them up on tuesday and they seem to be doing great, they were out almost the entire night after I dripped them super slow for 4.5 hrs, and have been out every day since. Not aggressively eating but they are taking in some particles of food and hitting the rocks and sand real good all day long so I am hoping they will continue to do good and make it! :)

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above Potters pair made it 2 months so far, eating like crazy and looking great (super hard to get pics of, atleast decent ones) so I decided to try another leopard I've wanted....

DSCN0483.jpg

This little Black Leopard Wrasse was peacefully acclimating in a bucket by itself when I saw it swimming around looking great at the LFS, so I took it home in the bucket and finished acclimating it at home :)

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0467.jpg

Here are just a few new random pics I snapped while I was trying to get some good ones of the new little beauty:

DSCN0451.jpg

DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

DSCN0360.jpg

DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0330.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

The Boss:
DSCN0343.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love your fish!

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your fish!

Thanks revhtree! The fish are our main thing, and its been a while since I've done an update on whats in there so:

2 Potters Leopard Wrasses
1 Black Leopard Wrasse
2 Whip Fin Fairy Wrasses
1 Yellow "Coris" Wrasse
1 Passer Angel
1 Yellow Tang
2 Occy Clowns
1 Copper Banded Butterfly
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
2 Bartlett Anthias
1 Bangaii Cardinal
1 Goldenhead Sleeper Goby

1 3 Stripe Damsel (30g thats tied into system)
1 Cinnamon Clown (in sump)
1 Royal Gramma (in wifes 12g not on system)

I think thats all of our current fish.... Until my lfs gets some more nice leopard wrasses in anyway lol

I may add a couple more butterfly fish, or try a pair of dwarf angels but not sure.... but definitely more leopards, and maybe a few more anthias, although I have been kicking around the idea of tossing a half dozen or so chromis in there just because I don't really have any greenish/blueish fish and its kind of a hard color to find something that we like in (green especially), I don't really like them much, but they are cheap and add a little color and movement.... time will tell!

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick little feeding response video. I started it about 45 seconds after pouring a decent amount of food in the display. This is a new formula from my LFS (Reef Paradise, in Flint MI) that I was trying out.... everyone seems to like it. This formula has more smaller particles in it for the coral as well, but my large angel still enjoyed it too! :)

Last edited:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish!! Love the wrasse!!

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Barb.... The wrasses are super hard to capture with my camera, they are just to darn fast and never sit still!

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find I have the same problem with my fish, at least this winter I will have something to work with on trying to improve my photography skills ;)

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been pretty busy lately....
I've picked up several more SPS colonies/ mini-colonies, 3 modded maxi-jets, an ocean runner 2500, and..... a 4-4.5" female Macropharyngodon meleagris (regular leopard wrasse)!

The colonies all survived their dips, some color loss but should bounce back just fine. :) I'm still tweeking the maxi-jets as far as how many I will actually use, and where I want to position them but right now 2 constantly on seem to be doing good with my 4 koralia evolutions alternating on a random timer.

I picked the ocean runner up for one of three purposes... It was either going to become a 2nd return pump on this system, a return pump for a future setup, or.... I was going to try to mod it with a mesh wheel impeller I already had from a different pump that fried, and make it into a skimmer pump. My main hope and #1 plan was the additional skimmer pump.... SUCCESS!!!! I was able to make my own rigged up venturi (if you want to call it that... but it sucks air through and into the pump), and the meshwheel fit great with a little modification so my skimmer is back running at 3 pumps again, yes I said my skimmer runs 3 pumps :) I have the AquaEuro 400, I got it with a bad pump when I bought it used (knowing it was a bad pump) and never messed with it because it did a pretty good job, well it is insane now! It has sucked about 3/4" (in the cup) of crud out of my system in about 45 minutes, and I have the water level set much lower then before!

The leopard is doing great and came from a friend who was shutting his tank down, she has been in captivity for 2yrs or so and doing excellent!!! No one has been messing with her and she has not bothered my Potters Leopard wrasse pair that is a bit smaller then her either :)

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as some of you may know I have had a 30g cube hooked up and running on my system for quite some time now.... like a year and a half. I was going to use this as a frag tank originally, never did anything with it, and then it became a coral observation tank to check things out after dips and now I have finally gotten around to starting to convert it to my other idea... a display type fuge.

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

It is definitely in the early stages as I need to get a few more macros/ plants and also plan on adding some mangroves as well. Eventually the clamp on light will go away and be replaced with t5s, or maybe LEDs someday. The current light will then go back on my main sump and the chaeto (in the back left corner sectioned off w/ egg crate) will go back there as well. The prism pro will probably go away (since its all tied into my main system and main skimmer anyways) and the HOB filter will get swapped out for reactors, but for not it works as is.

I am not sure if I will add any fish to this tank, I have thought about maybe an angler or maybe do some type of invert like a mantis (although Im not sure I want to risk getting one of those into my display which would be my kind of luck). What do you guys think??

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness!! Your new addition is gorge!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back