Chris' algae farm (ELOS 160)

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you click on his bio there is no last seen on: X. It also say RIP under his name. Any mods care to explain what this means. Is his account closed or has he actually passed away? I really hope it is not the latter.
@revhtree ?

ninicap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to build an atoll like your right one in the tank: I love it. I found a rock (with some pieces to add) that is similar to yours...the difference will be in the fact that I have a thin sand layer to cover the support and so I'll use a large thin rock as base...I hope I'll obtain a similar effect...I also paint the wall with a colour like yours and the tank is 3" from the back so it seems to be more long width...but..don't worry : all the rest will be completly different! :D

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is alive
I believe he is more active on his local club forum.
Although rumors say he may have drank too much tank water
OR
Even ate a pally!!!
Searching for the local forum... would love to hear more about this tank or his frag tank

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the thread.
There was velvet in the main tank and most of the fish were lost.
Main tank is now dry and his coral and remaining fish were put in neighbourhood tanks.
He is now focussing on the frag tank.
Let's hope for an update there soon.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From his thread on the TCMAS a few weeks ago.

Sorry for the lack of updates on the thread. Back in the fall shortly after my aquascape reboot, I added a small Sunburst Anthias that was carrying velvet. It took some time to spread and identify, but I lost most of my fish over the course of a couple of days and had to move the survivors to a makeshift hospital system.

Given the situation, my demeanor, and the impending fallow period in front of me, I decided to pull everything out and take a break from the tank and the reef world in general. The system is still dry and I don’t have immediate plans to restart. Many of the critters are in new homes in the area, but I have kept a few favorites.

Recently, I converted the Reef Savvy into a display and have been easing back into things. I’m having a lot of fun with it and plan to revive that thread, get behind the camera again, and spend some more time on the forums.

See you guys there.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From his thread on the TCMAS a few weeks ago.
This hobby can certainly be devastating at times, no matter who you are. I am sure this tank was an inspiration to many reefers. I know it was to me. But, you can't keep a good man down and I have no doubt that this tank will eventually return to its former glory. I hope, when the time is right, he will continue to share his tanks and photography here.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that is upsetting; I looked forward to creeping on this thread every few weeks to look at the photos!

Still makes me want to upgrade my camera body, but I don't use it enough anymore to justify the upgrade.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang really sorry to hear this Chris!! I haven't been active on TCMAS very much lately so I missed this. I've had a velvet wipeout in the past so I know your pain. It was a great tank to see in person so I hope to see you get it back to glory some day!

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad to discover this amazing post now.

Your photos are just amazing.

Have the same lens as you (not the camera) wished you wrote a tutorial

Thanks for the post

Hope you get back in the business soon

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been exactly there. Velvet caused me to drop out for nearly a decade. I lost many fish I consider irreplaceable (at least no longer obtainable by me due to insane prices and you know, a sense of responsibility for dependents now, ha). Hell, I lost a true long nose black tang, a trio of flame wrasses, 3 Hawaiian yellow dwarf eels, a bellus angel, my ten year old purple tang and much more. Devastated and disgusted barely describe the feeling.

I should say, the dwarf eels and the flame wrasses were sent direct to me from a collector I met on a board back in in the mid 2000s. Great guy.
I paid like $50 each plus shipping. He died of the bends in 09.

Feels good to be back, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I still think about how crappy it was to lose my collection. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back