Chris' algae farm (ELOS 160)

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been exactly there. Velvet caused me to drop out for nearly a decade. I lost many fish I consider irreplaceable (at least no longer obtainable by me due to insane prices and you know, a sense of responsibility for dependents now, ha). Hell, I lost a true long nose black tang, a trio of flame wrasses, 3 Hawaiian yellow dwarf eels, a bellus angel, my ten year old purple tang and much more. Devastated and disgusted barely describe the feeling.

I should say, the dwarf eels and the flame wrasses were sent direct to me from a collector I met on a board back in in the mid 2000s. Great guy.
I paid like $50 each plus shipping. He died of the bends in 09.

Feels good to be back, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I still think about how crappy it was to lose my collection. Good luck!

Ah man that’s awful - I’ve seen velvet destroy a fish in QT and I don’t want to ever see it again (the most horribly parasite).

A trio of flames direct from a collector sounds amazing - I’ve been after a pair for ages now.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man that’s awful - I’ve seen velvet destroy a fish in QT and I don’t want to ever see it again (the most horribly parasite).

A trio of flames direct from a collector sounds amazing - I’ve been after a pair for ages now.

It was an awesome connection, and sad he died as a result of collecting more of them.

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

elos-304.jpg
what camera and filters are you using to take pictures. I can't get anything near what you are getting?

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can certainly be devastating at times, no matter who you are. I am sure this tank was an inspiration to many reefers. I know it was to me. But, you can't keep a good man down and I have no doubt that this tank will eventually return to its former glory. I hope, when the time is right, he will continue to share his tanks and photography here.

This tank was an inspiration for me as is his frag tank. In fact I set my scape up based on the two island Pukani rock from this tank. Like Chris, I also had an issue that caused me to have to drain and rehouse my livestock. I wasn't as far along but it was devastating but I'm now focused on 2.0. This hobby has such ups and downs but its good to have a long view. In the end it has brought me more good times than bad.

OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what camera and filters are you using to take pictures. I can't get anything near what you are getting?

Hey Gordon,

Almost all of the photos from this thread were taken with a Canon 5D Mark II body. I'm shooting with a Canon 5D Mark IV these days with the Canon 100mm f2.8L macro. No filters, except when doing fluorescent-only photos.

Good equipment is a necessary but insufficient condition for getting great photos; the remainder is technique, editing, and luck (which are much cheaper!)

Last edited:

wrxreefer823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is the inspiration for me to get back into the hobby. We just built a house and I have the green light to go ahead and get my large tank. My choices are a Reefer 625 or 750 (just depends what wall we decide to put it on) or my LFS carries a line of “Pro Clear Aquatics”, their largest rimless is roughly 59x20x20 for around $1500. I love the fact that the back of your tank is clear and the Pro Clear’s back is also clear and the overflow is in the corner. Here’s a few pics of it at the store, it’s VERY tempting as I’d have more wiggle room for Radeons, MP40’s, etc...

The biggest thing I want to do is keep with the minimalistic scape, I want to try my hardest to recreate what you have there. It’s gorgeous!

E7F0AF1A-5148-4750-9809-9FB2F288095C.jpeg

BC25E558-ADE0-4169-8424-26732F8971B7.jpeg

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gordon,

Almost all of the photos from this thread were taken with a Canon 5D Mark II body. I'm shooting with a Canon 5D Mark IV these days with the Canon 100mm f2.8L macro. No filters, except when doing fluorescent-only photos.

Good equipment is a necessary but insufficient condition for getting great photos; the remainder is technique, editing, and luck (which are much cheaper!)

This build thread was amazing. I am so sorry for the loss of your fish; that's devastating. Everything about this thread is exactly what the hobby is about: a slice of the reef in your home. It was beyond the favorite tank I've seen in my life (also love your home decor), and I thank you for sharing it with us.

I'm going to be showing this one off to my BF to get him excited for reefing and MACNA!

H2Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent a lot of time analyzing every aquarium aquascape I could find to get ideas for my upcoming build. I looked at literally thousands of photos but then found one on Pinterest that stuck out above them all. I spent much time trying to find where that photo came from, which led me to this treasure trove of a thread. I'm sorry for the loss, but I'm very thankful we got to see it.

"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent a lot of time analyzing every aquarium aquascape I could find to get ideas for my upcoming build. I looked at literally thousands of photos but then found one on Pinterest that stuck out above them all. I spent much time trying to find where that photo came from, which led me to this treasure trove of a thread. I'm sorry for the loss, but I'm very thankful we got to see it.

"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
-Alfred Lord Tennyson
I've tried to re do this scape in my 120. I didnt do it 100% but I like i

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a full room shot. There's a book with ocean photography for when the lights go off. Love having the tank in the living room :)

elos-24.jpg

Zoom
MEGA ZOOM
Very nice and clean set up mate! I am getting ready to put up my 150 rimless myself here in the next few weeks!
Would have liked to see more of your install when you plumbed your system but anyway it looks off the charts..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%

Back