Chris' s Upgrade Plan 90 - 160 SPS Display

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me introduce myself! My name is Chris and I have been in the hobby for almost two years now, I first delved into it back in April 2016! Around that time, I was doing tons of research into the hobby, deciding on the right size of tank that would best fit a beginner as well as the mass amount of equipment that I thought I would need...it was all pretty daunting.

Well, I decided that a 90 Gallon Display would best suite me so off I went to search for the right tank. Little did I realize how much some of the tanks cost, and in the end the cost of a new tank was out of my price range. Luckily I found an almost entire use setup locally that included a 90 Gallon Tank, Dry Rock, E-shoppes Sump, and a Bubble Magus Skimmer for a reasonable price so I jumped on it. And ever since then I have been addicted and have spent way too much money!

Fast forward to now, I have been itching on upgrading and finding a bigger tank. I have dreamed of always having a gorgeous SPS Display like some of the members here. I have tried my hand at all kind of coral species, and recently have done quite well with Acropora and montiporas.

So in December I bit the bullet and decided to upgrade. The size? I decided on a rimless starphire 160 Gallon Display roughly 72"x24"21" with a ghost overflow and I wanted a 40 Gallon Sump. I started to slowly purchase the items that I wanted to include in this build, the necessities so to speak or rather what I thought were necessities to my plan.

Below are the items that I had planned on purchasing and using!

3x Radion XR30-Pro Gen4 w/ Diffusers and RMS Mount Kits (@FarmerTy pointed me to his friend who was selling his at a mind blowing price!)
2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wQD
Neptune APEX
Neptune ATK
Neptune EB8 Energy Bar
Neptune COR 20 Return Pump
Trigger Triton 44 Sump
Custom Lifereef SVS3-24 Skimmer
Finnex Deluxe Titanium Heating Tube, 800W
2x Finnex FugeRay Planted+ for the Refugium
ZenReef 20 Gal ATO Container
ZenReef 3 Chamber Dosing Container

Since deciding on the items I wanted, I have aquired most of them! Just paid for the Lifereef Skimmer this morning so it is on it's way, and the tank should be here in March! I will probably still use my GHL Doser for the Aquaforest Balling Method as I have had good results with it thus far in my 90.

As soon as I get the tank in, I will document the building and setup process!

f681d869993381f31d02421913398617.jpg

a095dc41268fdcbdf501722b4f38c184.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrfrancis

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to post a picture of the sump! I had Jeff at LifeReef use the same acrylic that Triton used for the sump.
e29af50cb2d6b2e74f2e2bac8d1a8bfb.jpg

OP
OP
chrfrancis

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great start in assembling this beast of a tank. What kind of rock are you gonna use for your new tank?
I was thinking either Marco Rocks Dry Rock or Tampa Bay Saltwater Liverocks.

Any suggestions?

Also, here are some of my coral tonight! They are definitely looking good.

6ea64061acedeff79e3bd59c9d9ff1d4.jpg
f575c69502b88ad528f13910690e62a4.jpg
6da6488d8e8d67c1facba017863f9cc8.jpg

OP
OP
chrfrancis

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My custom LifeReef Skimmer should be shipping out next week! Jeff just sent me a picture of the current progress! All that is left is the blue down tube and the Mazzei Venturi.

DSCF5036.JPG

OP
OP
chrfrancis

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just received my skimmer in today, and everything looks great! I decided to upgrade to the mazzei venturi in the end. Thanks Jeff from LifeReef!

898cf0266c5a7cb6ae84dd0f6cd0ba0a.jpg
1a3a60a09ff75b238ed0a60d90c8129f.jpg

OP
OP
chrfrancis

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Planet Aquariums has finally finished my tank and all they are waiting on is the stand to be complete!

4b4f1d17d7e489f3a06223ea46fe5b13.jpg

OP
OP
chrfrancis

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once the tank is up and plumbed, does anyone have an recommendations on wavemaker placement for the 2 Ecotech Vortech MP40wQDs? I usually place them on opposite sides of each other but not sure if this is optimal.

Will 2 Ecotech Vortech MP40wQD be enough for this tank or will I need a supplemental pump? Again, this will be a mainly SPS Dominant tank.

Thoughts? @FarmerTy

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a great start, love the tank! For placement of your vortechs I would wait and see how you do your aquascape as this will play a large roll in water flow throughout your tank.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you decided on the rock youll be going with yet?

OP
OP
chrfrancis

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to decide if I want to do dry rock from Marco Rocks or live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a great start, love the tank! For placement of your vortechs I would wait and see how you do your aquascape as this will play a large roll in water flow throughout your tank.
Agreed with Cment. Really depends on your rockwork but having one in either side of the ends is usually what is recommended. Since Vortechs have such a dispersed pattern of flow, I liked adding some more direct flow pumps, like some old Jaebos to mix up the flow patterns every once in awhile. Static flow patterns tend to allow some acros to start growing towards a specific direction and you lose the bushyness type growth pattern that's often desired with acros.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to decide if I want to do dry rock from Marco Rocks or live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater.
I have never used Tampa Bay but hear great things about them and on my next build will probably give them a try. I really enjoy aquascaping and get into it which is easier to do and take your time with when using dry rock.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with Cment. Really depends on your rockwork but having one in either side of the ends is usually what is recommended. Since Vortechs have such a dispersed pattern of flow, I liked adding some more direct flow pumps, like some old Jaebos to mix up the flow patterns every once in awhile. Static flow patterns tend to allow some acros to start growing towards a specific direction and you lose the bushyness type growth pattern that's often desired with acros.
Sound advice here,Adding a few other wavemakers to break up the vortechs is a great idea. Im finding that out with my gyre. Since I added a few smaller jebaos on else mode, my SPS have started to look much better over all.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend Tampa Bay Saltwater. You will chase some hitchhikers, specifically crabs and pistol shrimps, but the amount of life, diversity, and maturity acceleration is worth the trade off, at least to me.

There are people who disagree mostly due to potential hitchhiker problems, but I rarely see anyone who actually buys from Richard have regrets.

OP
OP
chrfrancis

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about doing half and half? Half Tampa Bay rock and the other half dry rock, just due to the price of the Tampa Rock.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember that his estimates on recommended pounds per gallon are based on filling a tank with a rock wall old school style. If you are planning on doing islands or a more minimalistic aquascape you can get by with a lot less.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back