Christmas Favia looking rough

TangAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Christmas favia frag for a few months now and he’s been thriving. Lately though I’ve noticed white spot on him should I be concerned?

image.jpg

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's really hard to tell because the light is so blue, can you post a better photo? Perhaps take it out of the water and photo under white light, or keep it in water with whites on

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..... on the how much more GSP do you want I send you a couple pounds lol

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Ok, one thing I definitely see is vermitid snails. They may not be what you are talking about, but they need to be squashed and removed. They are about 1-2mm wide and white. Do you see what I am talking about?

OP
OP
TangAddict

TangAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to get a better pic

65FD34A8-D415-4F7B-A518-E82F5CFDD634.jpeg
Thanks! Ok, one thing I definitely see is vermitid snails. They may not be what you are talking about, but they need to be squashed and removed. They are about 1-2mm wide and white. Do you see what I am talking about?
are they the little white things on the base?

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermitid snails send out stringy spit that can agitate coral. That skeletal white part is death. It can grow back the rest looks healthy. Move gsp (George st pierre) over a few more inches away if you can

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is of poor quality but it looks to be in really rough shape. I think I see damage on every polyp except one. Try and get a clearer picture. Also you've had this for months and it hasn't encrusted at all? While this is generally a pretty slow grower I was surprised how much growth I got on frags I made a weeks ago of my colony.

I don't think the gsp is stinging it, nor do I think vermitid snails are the problem. I would guess its a water quality issue, or perhaps it's getting too much light. Don't have enough information to say but there is tissue loss.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with light as my first choice being the problem ,,, easy fix ,, move it to a lower Par area, move it to that back corner of the tank in the picture ,, its not going to get better over night ,, you may end up losing it ,, but put it in that corner ,, see what happens ,, check locally ,,, try and get your hands on a Par meter ,,

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back