Christmas Tree Worms and Coral Hermits! My new show piece...

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1595262034748.jpeg

Here it is! Sorry about the diatoms and algae on the glass about to do a water change

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those burgundy bismas and yellow ones are epic! Love it! Are you kidding me dont be sorry no one can escape algae lol... Looks amazing though really enjoy it thanks for posting a pic on the thread, how long have you had it again?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem and thank you so much! I've had them for I think 6 months and they are going strong. I got them from LiveAquaria

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Saturday reefers!

Wanted to get some opinions from you all out there.. today my tank just seems like its having one of those good hair day "days" so to say because everyone seems super happy, regardless I looked at the Christmas Tree Rock pretty extensively and thought to myself that it seemed like it has gain some color back in the porites.

Opinions? Cheers!

Worms are happy as can be don't mind they all popped in when they heard me coming around the corner! Love the movement.

IMG_1699.JPG IMG_2527.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1518.MOV
    31.5 MB
OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, you lucky duck. Christmas tree worm rock have always been on my dream/wishlist. I really hope they continue to do well in your tank! Good luck.
A piece snagged off a tank break down and gotten at a price that retail stores would throw a fit over. Has become easily one of my favorite pieces I've had in my years of reefing.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Sunday Reefers!.. its here... the Christmas Tree Rock!!

Hope you all are well today, and the tanks are getting along just fine through the pandemic. Just yesterday I was lucky enough to acquire a beautiful piece from a tank breakdown. Drum-roll.... tsssssss..... The Christmas Tree Rock! I was ecstatic to see it on our local facebook page so immediately reached out and gave her my offer. After a long week of waiting due to work, I was able to head out and make the 3 hr round trip to snag the piece.

When I got to the tank this is what I saw, and was slightly worried... (first photo) I trusted the local reefer, and honestly felt as though the worm was just a little stressed by the amount of fish in the tank, and the placement with the lack of flow. Got the piece in a tupperware then into a bucket and made its way back home. After getting home the timing worked out that the lights were shutting down for the day and I was able to get the piece drip acclimated for one hour and forty five minutes. Placed it into the lagoon front and center right in front of the MP10, and decided to peek back in a couple minutes. After just waiting 10 minutes I was able to start seeing the worms working their way out and inspecting their new home. Decided I would check in the morning after getting some rest.

The next morning the piece looked stunning! The worms are working their way out and really getting used to the daily activities around the house. Even the black lab begging for treats and pounding her tail against the nearby coffee table startled them at first, but with time they seem to grew accustomed to.

Another pleasant surprise was seeing the coral hermit that was mentioned on the post as well, in the tank I could not see it. Once home and acclimated the little feelers started to poke out and I could see the little one! Super excited about that, but not too sure on care other than attempting to get small meaty foods its way for it to snag in the water column.

As for feeding I am looking at giving the rock a mixture of things coming from the following list: Algae Barn Live Phyto, Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast and Oyster Feast, Benepets, and possibly Reef Chili from BRS. If you have some of these worms anything in particular you see they are able to really enjoy? Please let me know!

Now here I am reaching out to YOU hoping I can get maybe the slightest bit of insight from personal experiences or friends with experiences! I have done weeks on weeks of research and just within Jake's two videos on his system dedicated tank for the rocks I have learned quite a bit!

Thanks all and hoping to start a nice fun thread about a really fun piece of livestock that we can have in our personal reefs in our living rooms! Cheers and hope to chat soon.

IMG_1499.PNG IMG_1653.JPG IMG_2527.JPG
Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a family are there favorites? Can you decide out of your little bubble blowing friends who is the best? Can you throw the rest to the way side?

giphy.gif

Well. I guess you can... I think I have chosen my favorite Bisma... its simple, unlike some of the others that have 3-5 colors within them.

Call me Plain Jane, but I adore the all orange Bisma..

Whats your favorite on my piece? Do you have a favorite bisma worm on your piece?

IMG_1788.JPG

Hard to say no to the little guys! Just so full of fun. Really enjoy watching their reaction to the live phyto feeding at night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXTREMELY EXCITED, but first off bummed about some things with my recent purchase!

I got a package containing an amazing xmas tree rock, witha gorgeous colony of coral hermits. Sadly, FEDEX royally messed up the order and it sat at the office till I was notified by the shipper to run down just in time for closing. Package was soaked, and seeing the rock it was half out of water..

Panicking I got the rock home, immediately into a bowl of fresh saltwater to examine the piece. 7 out of the 9 coral hermits passed...

giphy.gif

Regardless the worms were the main piece for this piece as a whole... at first things did not seem good.. but after a couple restless nights worms began to come forward.

Here is the new christmas tree worm rock piece for the lagoon..

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 7.04.24 PM.png

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing rock!!! Im almost afraid to ask the price..

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new piece has acclimated fairly nicely to the Lagoon, and the worms are starting to hang outside of their domain more often in the day time! Excited to see the future of this thing. Big shout out to @BSA Corals !

Snagged a great shot of the new piece today as well!

IMG_3720.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back