Chromis dead

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cycled my tank with atm colony in late October and after research decided to cycle with chromis my lfs agreed followed all instructions water parameters was fine (bare in mind this is a API test kit) chromis was all fine looked healthy eating fine on frozen foods daily diatoms came in November 15th got a small clean up crew was doing fine fast forward to about 20th seen a chromis stuck on side of my nero 5 (luckily i have nem guards of them) turned nero off chromy swam off just a-bit shaken up and back to normal the next day no problems fast-forward again to today one chromis stuck to my other nero im guessing it got stuck and died there and the other one under a pvc elbow i added for hiding also dead water parameters seem fine on API (ik what API is like though ha) was no signs of bullying nothing changed either the other 3 are swimming about happy and loving life 1 looks to be hiding a bit and stressed (breathing heavily) im abit confused as to why die today and i find 2 dead after almost a month of being in the tank happily any ideas I’ve tried to research and everyone said that a common disease kills them but that seems to be more while in qt or recently added like the first 48hours

Link to my current 3 chromis happy unless they decide to pack in as well

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's just something about chromi's, many of us find them nearly impossible to keep. They can be territorial, and even violent, toward each other. I forget which it is, but they are notorious for carrying and easily succumbing to a certain disease that doesn't affect other fish anywhere near as harshly.

I'll never again try to keep one. I'd rather focus on fish with a higher survival rate that I am capable of caring for.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
majority of folks who tried to keep shoal of chromis end up with 1 after they've killed each other off. Many theories as to why but the one I subscribe to is that in captivity w no predator (or bully) they dont need to school and the biggest chromis starts killing others off for territory/food. Which is why many have decided to avoid chromis.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single in my smaller tank thats been in there for 5 months and I have another flock of 4 in my large tank that school. They have been together for maybe 8 months.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found chromis hit or miss, I have had success keeping a group long term in the past and also have not, they don’t seem to handle shipping very good. When I worked in lfs year’s ago. We would lose a bunch in every shipment, more then other species it seem.

OP
OP
Daniel225

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost 3 out of 6 today been happy for a month since cycle i really don’t believe this is a coincidence obviously something is wrong I just can’t figure out what it might be 2 out of 3 have been stuck in wavemaker when I’ve found them dead only got 2 swimming about at the moment others either dead in rock work or hiding I fear that by tomorrow I’m going to have no fish in the tank and will have to face the decision to place my clowns from my nano in there to prevent the beneficial bacteria starving and risking it’s just a chromis thing and nothing wrong with the tank it’s self but all my evidence is saying something in the tanks not right

Back