OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to talk to life aqu
Is the chromium in your water related to the Sacramento Delta aqueduct system (ala PG&E and Hinkley)?
Not sure, the Chromium in the source water (testing from tap) is equal to what Sacramento water district reports. Was getting 3-4 ppb over multiple tests.

What I did find however was the pressure of the RODI. When not using the recommended pressure of 65 PSI, the DI was "adding" chromium back into the water. Life Aquatics is working with their DI vendor to reproduce this. Once I hear from them I will post an update.

Thub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromium makes up a minimum of 10% of stainless steel. If some stainless steel part is wearing in the booster pump, it might not show up at lower pressure, where the pump runs less (or not at all).
It might also be coming from a valve that's worn out.

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the end outcome here? My chromium continues to climb with my last few Icp tests. Up to 6ug/l on the Triton Icp results. Someone suggested my frozen food could be the source. I have a 7 stage rodi from brs that is just over a year old and probably only has 200-300 gallons on the system. Also my source water is only 25 tds. Supply water report has 5.1ppb chromium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the end outcome here? My chromium continues to climb with my last few Icp tests. Up to 6ug/l on the Triton Icp results. Someone suggested my frozen food could be the source. I have a 7 stage rodi from brs that is just over a year old and probably only has 200-300 gallons on the system. Also my source water is only 25 tds. Supply water report has 5.1ppb chromium.

I don't see how the RO/DI water could be a substantial source, assuming it is functioning.

Can you list all the additives you use, besides foods?

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how the RO/DI water could be a substantial source, assuming it is functioning.

Can you list all the additives you use, besides foods?
Triton core7 3ml per day increasing to 6ml soon. 20 drops daily of brightwell aminos and 1 drop weekly brightwell lugols iodine. That is it. I did use cheatogrow for like 4 weeks but that was probably 3 months ago now. Also used vibrant around 4-5 months ago. I do Daily 3% water changes with neptune dos. I stopped the daily changes for like a months but I am back to them now. I gravel vac as needed normally ever 4-8 weeks. Normally a 10-20% water change at that time too. Tropic Marine Pro salt mixed at around 80 degrees for 24 hours before use.

I occasionally dose reef roids as target feeding with their polyp booster for 15 minutes before the target feeding. Also weekly broadcast feed 2 scoops of reef chili.

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton core7 3ml per day increasing to 6ml soon. 20 drops daily of brightwell aminos and 1 drop weekly brightwell lugols iodine. That is it. I did use cheatogrow for like 4 weeks but that was probably 3 months ago now. Also used vibrant around 4-5 months ago. I do Daily 3% water changes with neptune dos. I stopped the daily changes for like a months but I am back to them now. I gravel vac as needed normally ever 4-8 weeks. Normally a 10-20% water change at that time too. Tropic Marine Pro salt mixed at around 80 degrees for 24 hours before use.

I occasionally dose reef roids as target feeding with their polyp booster for 15 minutes before the target feeding. Also weekly broadcast feed 2 scoops of reef chili.
@Randy Holmes-Farley any comments based on the details above? I think I am going to pick up a Hanna Chromium test kit as well. I haven't tried rods food yet my local LFS doesn't carry it and overnighting frozen food is expensive.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna kit will be a waste of time (at least if it is the one I linked below). Even if it works in seawater, and even if you have Chromium IV (there are other forms of chromium), the smallest nonzero increment on the kit (200 ppb) is more than way higher than your reported level of 6 ppb.

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna kit will be a waste of time (at least if it is the one I linked below). Even if it works in seawater, and even if you have Chromium IV (there are other forms of chromium), the smallest nonzero increment on the kit (200 ppb) is more than way higher than your reported level of 6 ppb.

The tester I purchased was https://www.hannainst.com/hi749-chromium-lr.html not the simple test kit. The color meter has a 0-200 ppb range. Even still i get your point regarding other forums of chromium. I can probably cancel the order at this point only placed it a few hours ago. What are the changes I have other forums of chromium besides IV?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tester I purchased was https://www.hannainst.com/hi749-chromium-lr.html not the simple test kit. The color meter has a 0-200 ppb range. Even still i get your point regarding other forums of chromium. I can probably cancel the order at this point only placed it a few hours ago. What are the changes I have other forums of chromium besides IV?

There are two main forms in normal seawater, and the Cr(VI) which the checker detects is the dominant one.

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless Brightwell messed up their product using impure metals, I suspect a metal part somewhere is more likely than an additive.
My tank is relatively young and just had it first birthday in mid may. All my equipment was purchase new and what most would consider good quality, Kessil lights, Nyos Skimmer, MP40s and Varios DC return pump. I have complete drained the sump 3-4 times over that year, planning to do it again in a few days. I have also cleaned and completely dissembled every pump every few weeks/months with no signs of rust. I keep running Triton ICP every month which is expensive at $50 per test. Seems the Chromium color meter I ordered is on back order anyway so they canceled my order. At around $65 for the color meter it seemed to be solution for me to quickly get to the bottom of the source. I figured I could even strain my defrosted frozen food and test the chromium there as well as RODI and freshly mixed saltwater without spending a fortune on Triton ICP tests.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is relatively young and just had it first birthday in mid may. All my equipment was purchase new and what most would consider good quality, Kessil lights, Nyos Skimmer, MP40s and Varios DC return pump. I have complete drained the sump 3-4 times over that year, planning to do it again in a few days. I have also cleaned and completely dissembled every pump every few weeks/months with no signs of rust. I keep running Triton ICP every month which is expensive at $50 per test. Seems the Chromium color meter I ordered is on back order anyway so they canceled my order. At around $65 for the color meter it seemed to be solution for me to quickly get to the bottom of the source. I figured I could even strain my defrosted frozen food and test the chromium there as well as RODI and freshly mixed saltwater without spending a fortune on Triton ICP tests.

Do you have reason to think it is causing issues in the tank?

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time now. I'm treating it like a warning sign that I could get diabetes in the future. I'd rather be proactive and eliminate The Unwanted elements before they become a problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time now. I'm treating it like a warning sign that I could get diabetes in the future. I'd rather be proactive and eliminate The Unwanted elements before they become a problem.

OK, but don't go crazy solving something that may not be a problem. :)

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but don't go crazy solving something that may not be a problem. :)
Thanks for the tip. I plan to avoid chasing numbers for sure. I stopped my auto water changes for a while and noticed a spike in Chromium. Been doing them again now for around a month plus I plan to add mechanical filtration. Perhaps with both of those changes Chromium will continue to drop closer to ideal levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I plan to avoid chasing numbers for sure. I stopped my auto water changes for a while and noticed a spike in Chromium. Been doing them again now for around a month plus I plan to add mechanical filtration. Perhaps with both of those changes Chromium will continue to drop closer to ideal levels.

Sounds good.

Good luck. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back