Cipro treatment

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that cipro help improve the chance to survive of some Nems. But do I always have to do Cipro treatment for a new Nem, especially H.Mag?
During the treatment if the nem attatch to the bottom of the hospital tank? How can we move it to DT? Some threads say using hair dryer to heat up the glass? Some thread say put the nem in a dish/bow, then how can we remove it from that dish? Anyone have any better solution or idea?
Just looking for more opinion :D

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that cipro help improve the chance to survive of some Nems. But do I always have to do Cipro treatment for a new Nem, especially H.Mag?
During the treatment if the nem attatch to the bottom of the hospital tank? How can we move it to DT? Some threads say using hair dryer to heat up the glass? Some thread say put the nem in a dish/bow, then how can we remove it from that dish? Anyone have any better solution or idea?
Just looking for more opinion :D

You should only treat if you observe issues with the nem.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orion placed a mug in the tank for the mag to attach. When ready, he moved the mug and the mag to the DT. The mag will move off the mug to higher ground for more light.

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orion placed a mug in the tank for the mag to attach. When ready, he moved the mug and the mag to the DT. The mag will move off the mug to higher ground for more light.
Could it be a case that the nem does not want to move away from the mug?

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw alot of experienced reefer use scoring system to check the Nem, but I’m not really sure how many point out of 10 should the anemone be treated

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bacterial infection, generally suspected to be exacerbated by shipping seems to affect many/most carpet nems so much so that quite a few reefers just proceed to treat before any symptoms show up assuming that they will get sick. That would depend on a lot of factors including where you acquired it, how long the LFS or another reefer had it, whether already treated or never exhibited problems for a prolonged period. Beyond that it's also a consideration how quickly you will be able to spot problems etc. as well as some general appearance observations. Treatment can be stressful and can kill the animal so you need to weigh the pros and cons.
I'm sure there's a checklist but I haven't seen it :)

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag loves light. You can always manipulate the lighting output to make it move. With that said, it is a living thing so anything could happen.

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bacterial infection, generally suspected to be exacerbated by shipping seems to affect many/most carpet nems so much so that quite a few reefers just proceed to treat before any symptoms show up assuming that they will get sick. That would depend on a lot of factors including where you acquired it, how long the LFS or another reefer had it, whether already treated or never exhibited problems for a prolonged period. Beyond that it's also a consideration how quickly you will be able to spot problems etc. as well as some general appearance observations. Treatment can be stressful and can kill the animal so you need to weigh the pros and cons.
I'm sure there's a checklist but I haven't seen it :)
Could it be possible if I just use new saltwater instead of water in my DT to do daily water change for the nem?

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tank water to eliminate the need to acclimate or wait for freshly mixed saltwater to stabilize for the two times I've used cipro. I believe Minh uses tank water as well. @OrionN

There's a scoring system in Amoo's thread, which is the same scoring from Minh's thread on RC.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-i-cipro.211822/
I believe anything 3 or above would be treatment worthy if there are no apparent issues with water parameters, environment.

If you have a mag or carpet, you should always have cipro and treatment tank on hand in the event you need it, most commonly when acquiring a new specimen. It's better to have it and not need to use it then need it and have to locate cipro.
Also, if the specimen has undergone a treatment of cipro, it is unlikely to respond to a second treatment in the future.

A lot of the answers to your questions are in Amoo's thread on this forum and Minh's thread on RC, as well as spread around to the threads asking about cipro use.

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tank water to eliminate the need to acclimate or wait for freshly mixed saltwater to stabilize for the two times I've used cipro. I believe Minh uses tank water as well. @OrionN

There's a scoring system in Amoo's thread, which is the same scoring from Minh's thread on RC.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-i-cipro.211822/
I believe anything 3 or above would be treatment worthy if there are no apparent issues with water parameters, environment.

If you have a mag or carpet, you should always have cipro and treatment tank on hand in the event you need it, most commonly when acquiring a new specimen. It's better to have it and not need to use it then need it and have to locate cipro.
Also, if the specimen has undergone a treatment of cipro, it is unlikely to respond to a second treatment in the future.

A lot of the answers to your questions are in Amoo's thread on this forum and Minh's thread on RC, as well as spread around to the threads asking about cipro use.
I went through that post, and still a bit confused. Thanks for explaining

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amoo use a scoring system. I just look at the anemone and see how he change from day to day.

Danh,
What is your question? I reply to your PM. If you have any further questions, post it here and I will try my best to answer them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the treatment process, Keep the anemone stress free is essential for success. Water salinity and temperature need to be stable. Pollutant level need to be keep low. The anemone should not be forcefully remove from his attachment.
That is why I use DT water. The salinity of the water in my DT is always spot on 35 ppt. Temperature is about 80 degree all the time. Chemistry is always respectable with no detectable nitrates.
I keep the anemone on a cup, or mug, or an oyster shell, or a small piece of LR. My anemone never attach to the bottom of the DT. This way moveing it to clean the HT is easy, change it to another HT is easy, and when it come to move him to DT it is easy with no stress to the anemone.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did Cipro become a method for treating sick anemones?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did Cipro become a method for treating sick anemones?
Since I wrote the protocol for it about the end of 2012 or so.
Some used antibiotic to treat anemones for a long time but most people just do not give out dosage or how they use it. I did a bunch of reading, everything I can about who used what, but never ever able to ask how much antibiotic or how they did it.
So with my knowledge of medicine, I just guess and choose Cipro and Septra as the two antibiotic I choose to use. I choose a reasonable dose and wrote what I did as a protocol so that other reefers can also use it. I encouraged documentation of success or failure.
Many reefers used this protocol to treat sick anemones and find it helpful in improve the survival rate of newly imported anemones, especially Gigantea and Magnifica.

I also established the protocol to use fresh water dip to treat Pinched Mantel Disease in clams. With the clams, I just participated in discussion group and advise people regarding my cure for PMD in clams. I did not write about it like I did with anemones treatment. My treatment works very well for PMD but most people who used it did not know that it was I who first devised this treatment protocol.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great OrionN. I've done the freshwater dip years ago on a Maxima for PMD, likely because of your suggestion. Thanks for the info, this one has never crossed my screen before and I was surprised. I've received Cipro from my own doctor twice in my life, just threw away some from 2002 in fact. lol

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nem is in the QT, its mouth start close up, it is anout 1/2inch open, is that ok to add him to my DT, he just have one light out period after acclimating. Should I leave him in the QT for 1 lighting period and move him to DT

AE0BD7E7-E632-42D2-8CFD-7476F1452C4D.jpeg

22E1DEBC-35CD-4C05-B9F8-87F626FD513F.jpeg

A6D4868D-9291-459A-BA4F-2BF3D039271A.jpeg

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the protocol said after you stop the med, if it stop deflating for a couple of days, then it is good to go. When in doubt, read the protocol. It has been a while since I read it. Good job with the treatment by the way.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no Magnifica in your DT, I would put him in there. They really don’t have any disease that would transmit to fish or coral other than whatever come with the water.
He looks good

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back