CIPROFLOXACIN: IN CURING ANEMONES.

Have you ever used ciprofloxacin to treat anemones?

• Total voters

Pinkskunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to why you dont have live rock in your QT tank? the rock can filter the water when the nem expel those ammonia. the 24hrs cycle can produce alot of ammonia in the tank and that could also harm the nem during treatment. also to change the water i use main tank water to change out the water in the QT tank and replace the main tnak water with freshly made water and repeat the same process for 7-10 days however i see fit.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for live rock, I did use my display water that’s the only water I would use in my quarantine. No need for live rock when you’re doing daily water changes of 100%.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to why you dont have live rock in your QT tank? the rock can filter the water when the nem expel those ammonia. the 24hrs cycle can produce alot of ammonia in the tank and that could also harm the nem during treatment. also to change the water i use main tank water to change out the water in the QT tank and replace the main tnak water with freshly made water and repeat the same process for 7-10 days however i see fit.

I think because the cipro should render the lr not live rock anymore since it is an antibiotic, but not really sure it kills off the nitrifying bacteria. The one time I went through a complete cipro 10 day treament, I had to add the lr the anemone was attached to just because I felt like removing the nem would cause more harm, with no issue through the treatment. The nem recovered after treatment, but several things happened... so it is now two nems the size of nickels, steadily growing back.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for live rock, I did use my display water that’s the only water I would use in my quarantine. No need for live rock when you’re doing daily water changes of 100%.

I used newly mixed saltwater in my QT...I was under the impression that you want your QT to be as sterile as possible and using display tank water could bring in some unwanted pathogens/nutrients in the QT that are unwanted and affect the Cipros efficiency. I think this is something to keep in mind for future treatment.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used newly mixed saltwater in my QT...I was under the impression that you want your QT to be as sterile as possible and using display tank water could bring in some unwanted pathogens/nutrients in the QT that are unwanted and affect the Cipros efficiency. I think this is something to keep in mind for future treatment.

That is worth mentioning. I used tank water to keep the parameters as similar to what the nem had been living in and (my thought was) it would make it easier to transition back in to the main tank after treatment. I simply put the freshly made water in the main tank to replace what I took every day. Me thinking the cipro would just kill any bacteria that happened to be transferred in the tank water.

@OrionN @Amoo Do you guys recommend tank water or fresh sw?

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a couple weeks, in and not going to need cipro for this guy... just wish the blue carpet was as healthy as this guy is!

79CBD4BD-A3E1-4D76-BC1B-4DDB81FC6D86.jpeg

nemmaninme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried cipro twice now, first with a gig which actually was attacked by a BF Angelfish- that one did not work, but in my experience if the flesh of a gig is torn it will die eventually usually quickly, it was a last ditch effort to save the animal. It died about 4 days into treatment.
The second one was a Ritteri and so far it is doing better than when I received it-much better. The mouth was only a little open, but it would not attach but after treating for 5 days then 2 days acclimation to untreated water it was attaching and the mouth was closed and even hidden which is what I like to see in a Ritteri, I have had 2 before.
I have been following OrionN's posts and treatment and think it is the way to go, from those who I talked to who have done the treatment it has been a success.

I was just wondering has anyone treated a LTA with cipro, and had success ?

By the way Christopher Davis I had had my Haddoni for about 5 years now looked like yours and it now about 18" across, I hope you have the same luck I have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried cipro twice now, first with a gig which actually was attacked by a BF Angelfish- that one did not work, but in my experience if the flesh of a gig is torn it will die eventually usually quickly, it was a last ditch effort to save the animal. It died about 4 days into treatment.
The second one was a Ritteri and so far it is doing better than when I received it-much better. The mouth was only a little open, but it would not attach but after treating for 5 days then 2 days acclimation to untreated water it was attaching and the mouth was closed and even hidden which is what I like to see in a Ritteri, I have had 2 before.
I have been following OrionN's posts and treatment and think it is the way to go, from those who I talked to who have done the treatment it has been a success.

I was just wondering has anyone treated a LTA with cipro, and had success ?

By the way Christopher Davis I had had my Haddoni for about 5 years now looked like yours and it now about 18" across, I hope you have the same luck I have.

It’s going great! It’s current residents are wild caught true percula that can’t get enough of it! The things a beast!

05640B4F-75F3-476D-9BB7-F18738ED6689.jpeg

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start treatment soon on my green BTA. It has been declining for the past months. Everything else in my tank is growing and the BTA has been shrinking. I purchased it bleached out ( I didn't know it was bleached back then) and probably already infected with something. Yesterday I put it in a QT with freshly mixed water. It has not attached to the rock I put in yet it's also not totally closed up. The water smells though...When I had an anemone die on me once the water smelled the same. That doesn't bode well.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start treatment soon on my green BTA. It has been declining for the past months. Everything else in my tank is growing and the BTA has been shrinking. I purchased it bleached out ( I didn't know it was bleached back then) and probably already infected with something. Yesterday I put it in a QT with freshly mixed water. It has not attached to the rock I put in yet it's also not totally closed up. The water smells though...When I had an anemone die on me once the water smelled the same. That doesn't bode well.
Instead of the rock, try a cup. Rock will have bacteria, etc...

The_Harris_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nem that was starting to look pretty horrible. Decided to qt it last night and does Cipro. This morning it looks 100x better already. I’m still going to do the full treatment but it’s going well so far. Before it was starting to spit it’s guys out. Now it’s mount is closed.
3D03C4A6-6BC1-4B5C-BA0B-BD22185CECC4.jpeg

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my first cipro treatment on my nem yesterday and it detached and got extremely swollen. Any thoughts? Should I continue should I stop it? I did first dose last night around 7 today at 10 I did 100 water change with tank water. I am at a loss. The foot still feels sticky mouth doest seem to be protruding some tentacles are skinny and short.

20201025_092228.jpg 20201025_101123.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swollen up is fine. I would add the meds to new water. And change it again tonight. I would not have change the water unless it become cloudy.

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swollen up is fine. I would add the meds to new water. And change it again tonight. I would not have change the water unless it become cloudy.
So even if the foot is huge? Also thr tentacles have become less swollen and i just added cipro again

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The anemone is all stressed. The dose of 250 mg in 10 gal is not toxic to the anemone, just continue treatment.
Frankly - I'm not a big fan of antibiotic treatment - but in all honesty - I think you are probably the worlds expert:)..... So I would take his advice

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back