CIPROFLOXACIN: IN CURING ANEMONES.

Have you ever used ciprofloxacin to treat anemones?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Need to see a picture. Still think haddoni.

69BADB39-55D2-4AFC-81AA-38F9BAFB3D51.jpeg

A6106DD6-9565-42A5-9D6B-DA98AC16DCC7.jpeg

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the decision to jump to the DT, I have not yet bleached out the qt from the last anemone. Risk of bacterial reinfection had me worried. Good news is this. The anemone in the DT has already planted its foot deep in the sand and had attached to the bottom of the tank.
The health of this specimen right out of the gate is 100% better. I’ve never felt an anemone as sticky as this guy. I spent 5+ minutes trying to get him to release off my finger!
He also has accepted food right away.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made the decision to jump to the DT, I have not yet bleached out the qt from the last anemone. Risk of bacterial reinfection had me worried. Good news is this. The anemone in the DT has already planted its foot deep in the sand and had attached to the bottom of the tank.
The health of this specimen right out of the gate is 100% better. I’ve never felt an anemone as sticky as this guy. I spent 5+ minutes trying to get him to release off my finger!
He also has accepted food right away.

Great news. Hope it goes well. a quick comment be careful testing the 'stickiness' The first time this happened to me it was annoying. The second time it caused a severe allergy when my arm grazed it.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear it's buried it's foot. That's typically a haddoni thing, but there are exceptions. Looks healthy. That guy looks like he should do just fine. Nice anemone.

Here's a picture of a neglected gig tank. On the right side are 2 purple, one blue, one green all mobbed together, blue in the middle, blue and green on the far left. All got cipro, but years ago. I stop in once every other day and get maybe 15 minutes to get it "topped off". Last test on anything was November. All guess work, but I've had the tank up for years. My levels are off I just don't know how bad yet... Bad enough to kill coral though. Lost all my coral, but the gigs are happy, closed mouths and long tents. No food for nems other than fish poo. It's amazing they do so well even while coral dies, the refuge over growth is pretty bad and the skimmer is adjusted to "chunky" lol (super dry so I empty it once a week).

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear it's buried it's foot. That's typically a haddoni thing, but there are exceptions. Looks healthy. That guy looks like he should do just fine. Nice anemone.

Here's a picture of a neglected gig tank. On the right side are 2 purple, one blue, one green all mobbed together, blue in the middle, blue and green on the far left. All got cipro, but years ago. I stop in once every other day and get maybe 15 minutes to get it "topped off". Last test on anything was November. All guess work, but I've had the tank up for years. My levels are off I just don't know how bad yet... Bad enough to kill coral though. Lost all my coral, but the gigs are happy, closed mouths and long tents. No food for nems other than fish poo. It's amazing they do so well even while coral dies, the refuge over growth is pretty bad and the skimmer is adjusted to "chunky" lol (super dry so I empty it once a week).

image.jpeg

Looking like I’m not going to have to bust out the cipro, this guys a great eater and has an Insane appetite! Definrnatly glag I got it from someone who’s had it a while... just wish I could of said the same for my blue carpet.

Anyone out there doing a cipro protocol this week?

3BCB8FC2-7C25-4AFD-B5BE-29B4E454B64C.jpeg

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank...generally if you get a nem from somebody who has had it for a length of time, Cipro shouldn't be needed. In my opinion, the infections are only rampant in newer collected/shipped nems.
Agreed! Thank you it’s my pride and joy! Love the color of the carpet!

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpeg
Clean that glass lololol

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpeg
Taylort....do you still have your Merten's? Would love to see an updated picture of that tank.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/magnifica-trying-to-jump-out-of-tank.354536/#post-4417217

I'm a firm believer that cipra saved my nem, no doubt about it. My massive long term captive mag began pancake deflating every night after i tried to introduce another from my lfs. Later learned this is a big no if you have a thriving mag...oops. Cipra brought it back to full glory so fast it was amazing. Literally the first day it was looking so much better i couldn't believe it. I had tried waiting it out hoping to not have to treat, by upping my water quality etc.. nothing was working and treatment became inevitable as it was clearly going to die without it. Included is a timeline of before getting sick, after becoming sick, deflated with sad clowns wondering what's up, while in treatment and then after...id say cipra worked for me!

20171127_120636.jpg

20171228_164606.jpg

20180102_200159.jpg

20180111_163906.jpg

20180107_173006.jpg

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/magnifica-trying-to-jump-out-of-tank.354536/#post-4417217

I'm a firm believer that cipra saved my nem, no doubt about it. My massive long term captive mag began pancake deflating every night after i tried to introduce another from my lfs. Later learned this is a big no if you have a thriving mag...oops. Cipra brought it back to full glory so fast it was amazing. Literally the first day it was looking so much better i couldn't believe it. I had tried waiting it out hoping to not have to treat, by upping my water quality etc.. nothing was working and treatment became inevitable as it was clearly going to die without it. Included is a timeline of before getting sick, after becoming sick, deflated with sad clowns wondering what's up, while in treatment and then after...id say cipra worked for me!

20171127_120636.jpg

20171228_164606.jpg

20180102_200159.jpg

20180111_163906.jpg

20180107_173006.jpg

myzislow, any luck in saving the second one?

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, the one I tried to add declined very rapidly and was removed from my DT within a week. Unfortunately I didnt have a chance to treat it, but looking back I wish I would have been able to. I didnt even know about cipra until it was more than likely too late for him anyhow. It wasnt til my established nem showed obvious signs of ill health that I began researching anenome illnesses and treatments. I found Orion's and reef@holic's posts on cipra and ordered it right away. Its decline was gradual as he was very healthy prior to adding the other. This bought me some time to observe and figure out what was happening for sure.

Admittedly, I was and still am hardly an expert when it comes to anenomes as this is my first one. I was lucky to be given this established magnifica by a local buddy who took down his tank. He had it for several years before me and ive owned it for a few years myself. I will say in all my years in the hobby this anenome is by far the coolest most interesting animal I've owned, and I've had and lost some pretty amazing corals that's for sure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%

Back