Amoxicillin instead Ciprofloxacin against STN

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the photos, few things to consider:

1. nutrients/elements and lighting. These corals look deficient in something, whether nutrients or some sort of elemental deficiency. Do you monitor elements such as potassium, iodine, and traces etc?

Are you carbon dosing or is there algae, dino or cyano in the system? considering that you need to dose so much phosphate per day?

The corals in the photos look pretty pale. Would help to post or send a few icp results over the past few months.

Lighting may also be too strong at the moment if there is some kind of imbalance.

2. Those vermitid snails near the base in the bare areas may be irritating the coral with their mucus nets, or grabbing food particles that could otherwise go to the coral. Probably not entirely the reason for the stn, but could be a contributing factor

Edit: 3. Blindly adding antibiotics, especially amoxicillin could have serious and devastating results to the system. Be 100% sure you know what you’re treating before medicating…

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the photos, few things to consider:

1. nutrients/elements and lighting. These corals look deficient in something, whether nutrients or some sort of elemental deficiency. Do you monitor elements such as potassium, iodine, and traces etc?

Are you carbon dosing or is there algae, dino or cyano in the system? considering that you need to dose so much phosphate per day?

The corals in the photos look pretty pale. Would help to post or send a few icp results over the past few months.

Lighting may also be too strong at the moment if there is some kind of imbalance.

2. Those vermitid snails near the base in the bare areas may be irritating the coral with their mucus nets, or grabbing food particles that could otherwise go to the coral. Probably not entirely the reason for the stn, but could be a contributing factor

Edit: 3. Blindly adding antibiotics, especially amoxicillin could have serious and devastating results to the system. Be 100% sure you know what you’re treating before medicating…
1. I regularly do ICP. The last result is 2-3 weeks ago. I use AFR at the moment, I believe it contains all the traces my acro need? I dose around 90ml on my 50G (175l). It's around two times more than suggested maximal dosing, but what could I do if my acro consumes Ca and Alk? AFR is carbon dosing for sure. I dose extra phosphates because of pretty large amount of AFR. Daily dosing split to 12 parts. so every 2 hours I dose a small amount of phosphates.

Potassium now is 430, regarding iodine I believe it's elevated a bit.

I agree the corals is pale, I noticed it as well. But I haven't changed lighting setting since last May, except a small period when my lighting was broken and I used a few of Hydra 32. As I mentioned, I keep a blanket of 300-400 PAR (measured with Apogee SQ-620) on my rocks (I have 2 shelf on the same height, so acros base are on the same height as well). What do you think appropriate PAR level in my case and how should I decrease it, slowly or just to dim my light?

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 20.06.00.png

2. I see some corals can encrust the vermetids. Also, if vermetids live on the coral, it means the base is already dead. Hard to say if they affect or not, maybe their nets can bother corals.

3. The major problem I'm not able to perform DNA test. I realize however amoxicillin could kill all the biology in my tank, so it definitely would be a last chance weapon. At the moment I'm thinking about buying a small tank at least for preserving some of my frags

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a glance, your potassium is high, calcium seems pretty low, iodine is pretty high, and based on the sodium level, you may want to calibrate and check refractometer or compare to a standard solution.

Correct these and the nutrients and lighting and your corals will probably make a remarkable recovery

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While AFR is a great product, you may want something that you can fine tune rather than an all in one solution until things are balanced in the system

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you happen to have any ceramics in the system?

OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a glance, your potassium is high, calcium seems pretty low, iodine is pretty high, and based on the sodium level, you may want to calibrate and check refractometer or compare to a standard solution.

Correct these and the nutrients and lighting and your corals will probably make a remarkable recovery
The refractometer is calibrated using 35% solution by FM.
But which PAR level would you recommend?

OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you happen to have any ceramics in the system?
I'm absolutely happy with AquaForest ceramics!
2 years I was fighting agains nuisance algae, and only when I replaced all the rocks in display to AquaForest, my corals started to grow. But there was a dino outbreak in the beginning, which I mitigated in 2 weeks.
I will definitely use AquaForest ceramics in my next tank coming soon. However, some amount of cured LR will be in the sump as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back