Ciprofloxacin Dosing

mBoN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I noticed BJD and depleting hammer corals. I read about Ciprofloxacin dosing. My tank has zoas and variety of tangs and fishes. Also have mushrooms sps and lps. Also i got few clams and tube worms and donuts and brain corals.
As soon as i read Ciprofloxacin treatment i rushed to buy the medicine and dosed as below.

My tank is 300L tank. So as i read i mixed 50ml of RODI and 500MG of Ciprofloxacin tablet.
300 x 0.125 = 37.5 /10 = 3.75ml
I used the above formula.

Before dosing the Ciprofloxacin solution
I removed all the hammers and frogspawn and added Revive Coral cleaner to seperate Bucket and added 500mg of Ciprofloxacin and let the hammer and frogspawn for 10mins with air bubbles and placed back in the tank.

Few questions: 1. Am i doing right ?
2. I didnt turn off skimmer as i read it was not necessary.
3. I dosed 3.75ml in the morning (due to fear that i might loose corals)
4. Is the dosing fish safe and other corals safe?
5. How many days do i have to dose?
6. Do i need to do water change?
7. Should i add bacteria after the treatment and how and which brand?

Thanks in advance

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I noticed BJD and depleting hammer corals. I read about Ciprofloxacin dosing. My tank has zoas and variety of tangs and fishes. Also have mushrooms sps and lps. Also i got few clams and tube worms and donuts and brain corals.
As soon as i read Ciprofloxacin treatment i rushed to buy the medicine and dosed as below.

My tank is 300L tank. So as i read i mixed 50ml of RODI and 500MG of Ciprofloxacin tablet.

I removed all the hammers and frogspawn and added Revive Coral cleaner to seperate Bucket and added 500mg of Ciprofloxacin and let the hammer and frogspawn for 10mins with air bubbles and placed back in the tank.

Thanks in advance

You can do 5mg per gallon for in-tank treatment. Mike Paletta's example (linked) is for acropora, but this should be safe for for other in-tank treatments, such as yours with hammers. For example, when I did my treatment on a 100 gallon system, I crushed up a 500mg tablet and mixed well in RO water (about a liter). I added it to the sump on lights out. You don't want to add it during the photoperiod. I did this every other day for 10 days for a total of 5 treatments. Leace the skimmer on during treatment. Don't worry about water changes during treatment, but pick them up after as you'll likely see elevated nutrients. You can definitely add Microbacter7 or similar bateria a couple days after your final treatment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Thanks in advance
Please post pics under white light intensity for accurate assessment and often BJD can be misdiagnosed. Furthermore, I do not recommend Cipro which is best left to human use. While it helps in SOME cases with anemone, it also has failures often due to wrong doses given to tank.
Here is an article on Cipro which I agree with:

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics under white light intensity for accurate assessment and often BJD can be misdiagnosed. Furthermore, I do not recommend Cipro which is best left to human use. While it helps in SOME cases with anemone, it also has failures often due to wrong doses given to tank.
I don't necessarily agree, I would say that I know a ton of people that have had a ton of success with cipro dosing. BUT, I will say that instead of dosing cipro, I dosed something called RTN/STN X by fauna marin and it made a big difference

OP
OP
mBoN

mBoN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can do 5mg per gallon for in-tank treatment. Mike Paletta's example (linked) is for acropora, but this should be safe for for other in-tank treatments, such as yours with hammers. For example, when I did my treatment on a 100 gallon system, I crushed up a 500mg tablet and mixed well in RO water (about a liter). I added it to the sump on lights out. You don't want to add it during the photoperiod. I did this every other day for 10 days for a total of 5 treatments. Leace the skimmer on during treatment. Don't worry about water changes during treatment, but pick them up after as you'll likely see elevated nutrients. You can definitely add Microbacter7 or similar bateria a couple days after your final treatment.

Here is an article on Cipro which I agree with:

Attachments

• IMG_1968.jpeg
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1969.jpeg
    IMG_1969.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 7df5862c-8534-4b65-8be5-1df5ae4025c8.mp4
    6.3 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
While the video shows a substance, I believe it is slime which euphyllia coral emit along with high flow. low calcium and tissue recession from stress. Also assure there are no flatworms present on the skeleton. Also- Wall hammers are one of the most challenging- branching being one of the easier ones

Last edited:
OP
OP
mBoN

mBoN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Calcium is Around 440
While the video shows a substance, I believe it is slime which euphyllia coral emit along with high flow. low calcium and tissue recession from stress. Also assure there are no flatworms present on the skeleton. Also- Wall hammers are one of the most challenging- branching being one of the easier ones

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
But Calcium is Around 440
Calcium is one cause and in hopes for you to verify which you did and eliminates low calcium (below 380)

OP
OP
mBoN

mBoN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is one cause and in hopes for you to verify which you did and eliminates low calcium (below 380)
Now frogspawn is also affected. Someone please Id and let me solve before all dies

Attachments

• cf906b61-af33-4aa4-aaf9-e3e68a896c19.mp4
    9.1 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Now frogspawn is also affected. Someone please Id and let me solve before all dies
This looks like polyp bailout and often its due to tto much or too little flow. In this case, may be insufficient based on polyp movement in the video. You want movement compared to leaves swaying in the wind, yet not bouncing around vigorously

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Thanks in advance
How did this work for you

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back