Magnifica trying to jump out of tank

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why my H. Magnifica did this but for a few months, it stayed relatively put. The 2 clowns, even spawned eggs under it. Soon as they did, it started climbing the wall behind it. Now it's at the surface and starting to hurt the green Stylo!
Any suggestions?

The spot it was originally at is surrounded by zooanthids (Gorilla Nipples and Rastas) so maybe they are irritating it.
26042313628_26d7c7c984_c.jpg

This is where it was just 3 weeks ago:

607959-0c0a0d5e66bc64f79b8eaa615ccaf9ea.jpg

I turned out the light on that side today in hopes of it moving away from that spot. Should I pull it off and try to reattach to a new rock? I have a large one in the sump. Finding room for it is another story :)

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 11.32.08 AM.png

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It went to where the flow was preferential.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics dont show it, but that would be right under the return. Any idea how to address this?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try moving your Vortechs and/or dialing them up before tinkering with lights.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vortechs are already turned up pretty high. They drop down some at night but not much. Maybe I'll try to move the Jebao ph I have to the other side and hit it more directly?
As for island, should I peel it off the wall and try to get it attached to the rock I place high up?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vortechs are already turned up pretty high. They drop down some at night but not much. Maybe I'll try to move the Jebao ph I have to the other side and hit it more directly?
As for island, should I peel it off the wall and try to get it attached to the rock I place high up?

Just so you know if you don’t already, Mag’s prefer a flat surface to attach to unlike most other Anemone species. So this would explain why the Anemone chose the glass.
I also agree that they LOVE light. Like 500-600par at times.

-Zack, @gig ’em

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a mitras lx7 thread on another forum, I'm not getting 500 par! Having said that, my sps dont seem to mind

Last edited:

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a mitras lx7 thread on another forum, I'm not getting 500 par! Having said that, my sps dont seem to mind

lol. It is not needed as much as that’s how much they can stand. Then generally sit within the 300-400 par range.
-Zack

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the spawning event, did you change anything else? Move a coral around it or adjust light or flow? When they're looking for a better environment they'll typically climb to the highest spot. That's why people who build a rock pillar for mags have success, when there's nothing higher for them to touch they'll typically stay put.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont recall changing anything. I did clean the powerheads at one point but that took all of a day each as they soaked in white vinegar. There are a million zooanthids that are on those rocks and that side of the wall so maybe it was trying to escape those. Once it did, it headed for higher light and more flow of the return blasting it from overhead. The nem remains there. I still havent had time to redo the rock work due to life stuff. I'll really have to think this through b/c there's a lot of growth everywhere and some of the rocks are not easily moved let alone restacked.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post a funny update. Mr big moves decided to crawl around the overflow, across the side wall, and to the front of the tank. Luckily I saw it in time to turn off the powerhead when it got close. I still havent had time to move the rocks - I dread it due to the stuff that will likely break. Plus I still havent figured out a way to do this to look right, be stable, and to minimally destroy the existing growth.
IMG_0438.jpg

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I had one do that in my DT too. I decided to let it be since my acros were growing too much anyway and they needed more space. Thought it was a good compromise [emoji1]

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be really careful with him and your vortechs. I have a long term captive mag that i upset by trying to introduce another from a lfs. Long story short, it brought in a bad bacteria, and the established mag started deflating and declining rapidly. I treated it with ciprofloxacin in a hospital tank and brought it back to full glory very quickly. Upon reintroduction to my dt it walked one morning and half of it got chopped in a mp40 resulting in the death of all of my prized fish besides my clowns. Some fish i had for over 8 years :( ive had coral crashes and they didnt hurt like losing my fish all at once. Lesson learned for sure.

20180121_141834.jpg

20180121_144603.jpg

Last edited:

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before it walked after treatment and another from today. Luckily its mouth and foot were unharmed and it seems to be recovering quickly. It had massive tissue damage in multiple spots and literally had it's tentacles completely chopped off to the disk on pretty much half of the anenome. Really interesting and cool to watch it heal for sure.

20180107_172954.jpg

20180201_190816.jpg

20180201_202857.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great that it came back 2x @myzislow. I had a blue gig which had a similar story, except it died in the powerhead in the treatment tank. That's why I didnt take any chances and shut off the closest powerhead again tonight.
My main problem right now is rock location and either this nem or zoos trying to choke off SPS's. If only I could convince my wife that the solution would be a larger, 200g tank w/more space! ;Couchpotato

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back